Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Panther Nation > Panther Sports Lounge

Panther Sports Lounge The #1 free message board for UNI Panther fans!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Default Jeremiah Davis demoted from UNI beat

Apparently found in bed naked with the Gazette publisher's son, as he has been reassigned to the Iowa City beat. Per his Twitter feed

@jeremiahdavis10

Our loss

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
UNI-Panthers-32

Default Re: Jeremiah Davis demoted from UNI beat

... and unfollowed.
UNI-Panthers-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
otter

Now I don't have to wade through all of those racing tweets...about the only positive thing about this news
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
panther-state
Rockin' that Purp & Gold

I'm sure they'll find another quality guy, but I've really enjoyed Davis and Tigges in recent years.
panther-state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Mudrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped in California View Post
Apparently found in bed naked with the Gazette publisher's son, as he has been reassigned to the Iowa City beat. Per his Twitter feed

@jeremiahdavis10

Our loss

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3
not that there's anything wrong w/ that
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
SteinPizza

It's a common practice for newspaper journalists to change beats every few years. I think one of the reasons they do it is fresh perspective. But, it also depends on how many reporters they have.
SteinPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
Bookin' Panther

One of the Gazette's sports reporters (Scott Dochterman) is leaving at the end of the month, so I guess Jeremiah moved up to take over coverage of the Hawkeyes that Scott was doing. I sincerely hope that they find someone who is dedicated to UNI sports alone, as we don't seem to get any consistent articles if they don't.
Bookin' Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookin' Panther View Post
One of the Gazette's sports reporters (Scott Dochterman) is leaving at the end of the month, so I guess Jeremiah moved up to take over coverage of the Hawkeyes that Scott was doing. I sincerely hope that they find someone who is dedicated to UNI sports alone, as we don't seem to get any consistent articles if they don't.
Jeff Johnson has been assigned to the UNI beat.
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
SteinPizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookin' Panther View Post
The problem is it's a dying business model. Good to hear they're dedicating someone to UNI, but don't be shocked if that changes. Jeff Bezos bought the Washington Post for what, $27???? That's a sign of where that whole business is headed.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
Welcome to my Twitter follow list, Mr. Johnson ....

https://twitter.com/jeje66

Earn it.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post

Earn it.
He will have to earn it for most UNI fans. Using a quick twitter search app that allows us to go back 3,200 (goes back to the beinning of May) tweets shows only one tweet referencing "Panthers". That was a July 23rd retween of the UNI College of Business

Quote:
https://twitter.com/UNIBusiness/stat...610628/photo/1
Lisa Jepsen, associate dean, is having a great time at the @CRKernels game! #GoPanthers #kernals2k16
Tweets involving "UNI" over the same time....any variation of the letter sequence UNI

Quote:
Matt Thaiss 2-out RBI bullet double to RF. Burlington 2-0. Thaiss is Angels' top draft pick in '16 out of University of Virginia. #Kernels
21 Aug from Twitter Web Client

Christian Ibarra has been with Lincoln Saltdogs of American Association. LSU guy drafted in '13 as junior, but not as a senior. #Kernels
9 Jun from Twitter Web Client

Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (@ridertownusa) reach into Hungary for defenseman: www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/b… #USHL #JuniorHockey

@GGjared Those uniforms are disturbing in a sense, yet strangely alluring ...
2 Jun from Twitter Web Client

@johnbohnenkamp I refuse to let Mount Union stop being a town!!
1 Jun from Twitter Web Client

University of Louisville commit. twitter.com/kjpilcher/status/734896…
23 May from Twitter Web Client

Mark Carlson of C.R. RoughRiders (@ridertownusa) wins USHL Coach of Year honors for 3rd time: www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/b… #USHL #JuniorHockey
13 May from Twitter Web Client

Boys' shuttle hurdle relay: Benton Community, Solon go 1-2. #iahstrk
12 May from Twitter Web Client

Benton Community, DeWitt Central go 1-2 in girls' 3,200 relay.

Top 2 in girls' 3,000 (official): 1. Maddie Bach (Marion) 10:42.35, 2. Sophia Gilbert (Benton Community) 10:51.75. #iahstrk

Girls' 3,000 meters: 1. Maddie Bach (Marion) 10:42.27, 2. Sophia Gilbert (Benton Community). #iahstrk

Jack Ahcan @A03Jack of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders is the United States Hockey League Defenseman of the Year. Quite an honor. #USHL
Every article he's written has been about the Kernals, Rough Riders or prep football and baseball. His CR Gazette URL is "Diamonds and Ice"Given the fact he's still probably covering prep football full time, and likely still to be on Rough Rider and Kernal duty how much coverage can we truly expect? He also has yet to produce a single reference to UNI in any fashion since the announcement, meanwhile Davis is already pumping out UI volleyball articles.

http://www.thegazette.com/diamonds-and-ice

Look at the Gazette's sports page - sections you can go to: Hawkeyes, Cyclones, Iowa Prep Sports, RoughRiders, Podcasts, More Sports, Auto Racin, College Football Contests, and Iowa Football Data

Not a single UNI mention in any way on the main sports page, including articles. Articles included? A wild Hawk released back into the wild at Kirkwood, a 2,000 year old Russian Monk who disrupted the Munich Olympics, something about a ground squirrel, and how to adjust to fall golfing.

Heaven forbid there are less than 4 people covering the Hawkeyes for the Gazette. Davis, Hlas, Moorehouse, plus stuff submitted by Erin Jordan, Craig Sesker, K.J. Pilcher, and what is labeled as "Gazette Staff".

Heaven forbid there be any damn UNI coverage. Make sure UNI fans don't ever get too high on themselves. Davis was too good at what he did for UNI. We must make sure that doesn't continue. Let's pull Jeremiah and give them this guy and then not have him do anything UNI related. Great job Gazette
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

This Jeff Johnson? The Iowa State Alumni Director has a side job covering the UNI beat?

"Jeff was named president and CEO of the ISU Alumni Association in September 1999. He has more than 30 years of higher education experience. Jeff oversees all Alumni Association programs, is secretary to the Stanton Memorial Carillon Foundation, publisher of all Alumni Association publications, an ex-officio member and officer to the Alumni Association Board of Directors, a member of the President’s Cabinet, and the Alumni Association’s liaison to the university and its affiliate organizations. In 2015, he became the first Lora and Russ Talbot Endowed President and CEO."
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
Trapped in California
Escaped from CA

Quote:

Earn it.
Don't know if I could handle the flood of hockey tweets. Ranks right up there with tweeting about nutrition labels. Think I will skip it.
Trapped in California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Being on the Roughrider and UNI beats at the same time is basically impossible. They play hockey every weekend from the middle of September to May.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
PanthersMBB

Lets just hope johnson doesnt do rough riders this year. It just suprises me he hasnt annouced he will be covering uni sports. Especially after davis announced it. On another note if you follow twitter and follow @unimbb i think whoever sends out tweets is seasonal. I know more about other schools basketball programs in the off season then uni. Hopefuly both gazette and athletic coverage gets better. THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE HYPE IN THE OFF SEASON.

Last edited by PanthersMBB; 08-22-2016 at 05:04 PM.
PanthersMBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
OhNewby

Marcus Paige retweet today, at least it's the right sport
OhNewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Davis has a story in today's Gazette:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...speed-20160822
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
SteinPizza

Quote:
Davis has a story in today's Gazette:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...speed-20160822
It will be interesting to see how they use Lyons given the article above. Not so much against Iowa St, but more so against teams who spread the field and throw a lot.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinPizza View Post
It will be interesting to see how they use Lyons given the article above. Not so much against Iowa St, but more so against teams who spread the field and throw a lot.
Nice to read some comments from Lyons and information about how MF wants to use him (not sure if that confirmed by anyone else or drawn from Lyons' comments).

The Courier had an article about the DBs a few weeks ago, but it might've been too early to offer much about specifics as there was not much for specifics about any of them (http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...aeee8a927.html).
Old 08-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #20
DomeIsHome

So I didn't know where else to complain about this, so I thought I'd put it here.

From the podium at Farley's press conference yesterday there was only one(!!!) local TV station's mic there: CBS 2 from CR.

KWWL didn't even bother to send anybody??? KCRG skipped it too?!?? What is that? I searched this morning for an update on their sites about the presser, but couldn't find any on either site. This is just mind-boggling to me.

How can you not cover these guys? There are three state schools and TWO OF THEM ARE PLAYING EACH OTHER!!!!

I really don't get it and it really pisses me off.

Same thing with the Gazette. Now that Davis is guess how many stories have been written about UNI? 1. If they just gave UNI a quarter of what they give Iowa it would be so much better.
DomeIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
BCPanther
PN Crusader

It's cool, our new 'beat writer' is too busy doing his high school sports podcast.

Jim Nelson is literally the only guy that we can count on for info at this point.

I cringe to think about basketball season because Nelson won't have the beat as he's a nationally respected wrestling writer. Nick Petaros who currently does UNI women's sports just flat isn't a very good writer. Doug Newhoff doesn't even have a Twitter account, I don't believe. It could get ugly.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:10 PM   #22
DomeIsHome

The Gazette also couldn't be bothered to take a new picture of Farley, they reused one from 2013.

Sigh.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #23
DownGoesKansas

Yea. The coverage could be pretty brutal
DownGoesKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
It's cool, our new 'beat writer' is too busy doing his high school sports podcast.

Jim Nelson is literally the only guy that we can count on for info at this point.

I cringe to think about basketball season because Nelson won't have the beat as he's a nationally respected wrestling writer. Nick Petaros who currently does UNI women's sports just flat isn't a very good writer. Doug Newhoff doesn't even have a Twitter account, I don't believe. It could get ugly.
In the Ames paper today:

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20160...te-uni?start=2
Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #25
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

Nice article. Very interesting perspective for an article during game week in the Ames paper.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
Born-a-Panther
Bleeding Purple Since '84

Send a message via AIM to Born-a-Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeIsHome View Post
So I didn't know where else to complain about this, so I thought I'd put it here.

From the podium at Farley's press conference yesterday there was only one(!!!) local TV station's mic there: CBS 2 from CR.

KWWL didn't even bother to send anybody??? KCRG skipped it too?!?? What is that? I searched this morning for an update on their sites about the presser, but couldn't find any on either site. This is just mind-boggling to me.

How can you not cover these guys? There are three state schools and TWO OF THEM ARE PLAYING EACH OTHER!!!!

I really don't get it and it really pisses me off.

Same thing with the Gazette. Now that Davis is guess how many stories have been written about UNI? 1. If they just gave UNI a quarter of what they give Iowa it would be so much better.
Was also at the press luncheon and we commented a couple of times on the same thing. It was terrible. I don't get it.

You've got a majority of kids from the state of Iowa playing on a team for the state of Iowa against another team for the state of Iowa and you don't show up?? Makes NO sense. But unfortunately - not all that surprising.
"...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."
Born-a-Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #27
sivert

This is a nice article for Farley. Courier should pick it up.
But it's almost hilariously naive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
...what Farley’s accomplished at UNI. He’s 129-61 since 2001. He’s led the Panthers to seven conference championships and nine playoff berths.
Winning is the expectation for the Panthers. Campbell is trying to move ISU into that same neighborhood.
“It’s about what kind of culture you are trying to build,” ... It’s all part of one big check list for Campbell.... "You don’t luck into winning and so you really have the ability to create a culture where that is habit instead of circumstance. I think that is our biggest challenge, trying to create those habits and do it day in, day out, game in and game out.”
Like a newlywed who says to a couple married 40 years - I want a marriage like yours. How do I get that? "Well, you have to work on it for 40 years..."

If he turns ISU around and gets them a few winning seasons in a row, is he going to stay in Ames for 15 years? Or 30?
sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
This is a nice article for Farley. Courier should pick it up.
But it's almost hilariously naive.
Like a newlywed who says to a couple married 40 years - I want a marriage like yours. How do I get that? "Well, you have to work on it for 40 years..."

If he turns ISU around and gets them a few winning seasons in a row, is he going to stay in Ames for 15 years? Or 30?

No way Campbell stays in Ames for 30 years. That just means that he wasn't good enough to go somewhere else.

I predict that he will go to Ohio State in 5 to 10 years. That would be great for him because it would be his dream job. And it would be great for Iowa State because it means that he has done well enough to deserve to go to Ohio State.

News of Campbell leaving for Ohio State will be one of the best things we could ever hear.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #29
ubuntuCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
No way Campbell stays in Ames for 30 years. That just means that he wasn't good enough to go somewhere else.

I predict that he will go to Ohio State in 5 to 10 years. That would be great for him because it would be his dream job. And it would be great for Iowa State because it means that he has done well enough to deserve to go to Ohio State.

News of Campbell leaving for Ohio State will be one of the best things we could ever hear.
Well just because an Iowa State coach get's hired away by a name program doesn't mean he was successful at Iowa State.... cough Gene Chizik.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #30
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Good point. Gene Chizik got hired away because he would be a pawn and let the boosters pay for Cam Newton.

If it were to happen, Campbell would be the third Iowa State coach to go to Ohio State. The other two were Sam Willamon (Jack Trice's coach who brought him here from Ohio) and Earl Bruce.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
UNIpanther99

They guy hasn't coached a game at Iowa State and he's already going to tOSU? He seems like a good hire, but then again so did Todd Lickliter.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #32
FOTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
They guy hasn't coached a game at Iowa State and he's already going to tOSU? He seems like a good hire, but then again so did Todd Lickliter.
and Rhoads and Chizik and...
FOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #33
DomeIsHome

Not only did Jeff Johnson not go to the UNI/ISU game, he had exactly zero tweets about it.

Zero.

Edit: Jk he had one retweet! LOVE the coverage!!!

Last edited by DomeIsHome; 09-04-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #34
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeIsHome View Post
Not only did Jeff Johnson not go to the UNI/ISU game, he had exactly zero tweets about it.

Zero.

Now, he did retweet the first quarter total yard stat....

*massive fart noise*
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #35
DomeIsHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Now, he did retweet the first quarter total yard stat....

*massive fart noise*
My bad, I didn't see that.