WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New QB Transfer from Illini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New QB Transfer from Illini

I watched one Shippensburg game (on youtube) in a game against their division #4 team, with a supposedly salty run defense.

The offense that Shippensburg was pretty much generic spread offense, at least in that game. I am sure that there were some wrinkles that there that I did not notice as casual observer. The run offense looked fairly anemic. There is no context to that statement however. Maybe they were playing against a UNI/NDSU level defense (for their division). Who knows.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Spring game, onwards. Davis has a lot more athletic skills to experiment with than previously. Maybe he will be trying out new stuff. At the minimum, it will force Iowa State, NDSU and other defensive coordinators to sweat the details when breaking down tape early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
      I watched one Shippensburg game (on youtube) in a game against their division #4 team, with a supposedly salty run defense.

The offense that Shippensburg was pretty much generic spread offense, at least in that game. I am sure that there were some wrinkles that there that I did not notice as casual observer. The run offense looked fairly anemic. There is no context to that statement however. Maybe they were playing against a UNI/NDSU level defense (for their division). Who knows.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Spring game, onwards. Davis has a lot more athletic skills to experiment with than previously. Maybe he will be trying out new stuff. At the minimum, it will force Iowa State, NDSU and other defensive coordinators to sweat the details when breaking down tape early in the season.
      Thanks. I was going to ask if anyone has seen tape of Shippensburg.

There's no way the three QB thing can be real. The only way it would work would be to field a team of robots - way, way too much could go wrong, and you'd set some kind of world record for unforced errors and turnovers. If someone does start 11 Cylons on offense, let me know. It would be fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
        There's no way the three QB thing can be real.
        wait, are you implying that not everything posted on a fan forum is 100% true and no one posts made up (attempted) humorous scenarios?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          wait, are you implying that not everything posted on a fan forum is 100% true and no one posts made up (attempted) humorous scenarios?
          Your fault Jay, you forgot to use the winky smilie.
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
            Thanks. I was going to ask if anyone has seen tape of Shippensburg.

There's no way the three QB thing can be real. The only way it would work would be to field a team of robots - way, way too much could go wrong, and you'd set some kind of world record for unforced errors and turnovers. If someone does start 11 Cylons on offense, let me know. It would be fun to watch.
            Yep! It's called the single wing--the center was able to snap to one of 2 to 3 people with the main back known as the "spin back." There was a lot of cross buck action and the spin back was not necessarily the best or primary passer. Teams used it up into the 60's with the wishbone replacing it. Some spread offenses do use the basics of the single wing. Bring it back! no one would know what to do to stop it.

Comment

The Sigourney-Keota Cobras have used this offense for decades, and have won multiple state championships with it a while back. A deceptive, mostly run offense.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                The Sigourney-Keota Cobras have used this offense for decades, and have won multiple state championships with it a while back. A deceptive, mostly run offense.
                All kidding aside, what comes around goes around. Some college spread offenses use elements of it. Flip around the TV enough and you'll see teams running out of ace formations, with the ball carrier on some plays being the wingback on a quick hitter or ISO type play. I've seen UNI do some similar things over the years, primarily with Rennie and Carnes at QB.

Football is a trend game. Don't worry, some future coach will bring back a variation of the Run 'n Shoot offense, with four or five wides on every play, all the pass routes based on sight reads by the QB and receivers, etc. Northwestern runs some stuff like that now, but it's not the full blown version.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                  Yep! It's called the single wing--the center was able to snap to one of 2 to 3 people with the main back known as the "spin back." There was a lot of cross buck action and the spin back was not necessarily the best or primary passer. Teams used it up into the 60's with the wishbone replacing it. Some spread offenses do use the basics of the single wing. Bring it back! no one would know what to do to stop it.
                  Correct, another wrinkle was an unbalanced line. Our former HS coach used it right up until he retired in 1970! I believe the Delaware coach dominated Division II running the single wing back in the day.

Comment

Tubby Raymond!

Was he the coach of those Michigan-helmeted Hens when K. C. Keeler played?

Comment

Tubby Raymond!

I'll defer to your superior knowledge but wasn't it Princeton with the original weird helmets?

Comment

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
                        I'll defer to your superior knowledge but wasn't it Princeton with the original weird helmets?
                        yes.

Comment

Tubby Raymond!

I do not like K.C. Keeler. Brings back bad memories.
                          peace

igo4uni

Comment

Working...
                          X