WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Schedules

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Schedules

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post
    This topic again? The Iowa women at SDSU and UNI football at Drake are two different comparisons. SDSU is not FwhateverS non-scholarship in basketball. DI in basketball is DI in basketball. BCS, FBS, FCS-Scholarship and FCS non-Scholarship are all football terms. UNI should never ever ever play football at Drake. It is too damaging from a perception standpoint to play in Des Moines. It gives the impression we are closer to Drake as an athletic department than we really are. Love the Drake for many reasons, hate the Drake for a road football game.
    This argument doesn't hold water. We have serious financial woes. We struggle to get opponents into the dome. And we have a huge alumni base in Des Moines that on the whole doesn't contribute to UNI athletics. This is something we need to do.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
      Fully agree. I would even rather buy a D2 school in the dome rather than play at Drake.

Would the basketball team ever play at Coe?
      Drake is a D-I win.

How does that compare to Coe?
      Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

This topic again? The Iowa women at SDSU and UNI football at Drake are two different comparisons. SDSU is not FwhateverS non-scholarship in basketball. DI in basketball is DI in basketball. BCS, FBS, FCS-Scholarship and FCS non-Scholarship are all football terms. UNI should never ever ever play football at Drake. It is too damaging from a perception standpoint to play in Des Moines. It gives the impression we are closer to Drake as an athletic department than we really are. Love the Drake for many reasons, hate the Drake for a road football game.
        I don't get this arguement. "Public perception" for most is that we don't play D-I football, and neither does Drake.
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Iowa has a large alumni base in Des Moines, should they play at Drake?
          Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

UNI & Iowa are in different financial universes. Crap - they pay their coach what we spend for the whole season. Why not ask if USC Trojans should play at University of San Diego?

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
              Iowa has a large alumni base in Des Moines, should they play at Drake?
              no, Drake does not meet the requirements for a win towards bowl eligibility.

Comment

Most of the Des Moines alumni looks at UNI playing at Drake more like the Kansas city Cyclone alumni watching ISU playing at Arrowhead. True, it is a road game, but they don't somehow think that we then play non-scholly football. Everyone with a brain and that gives a crap knows that UNI is the superior football program, period. If we are trying to impress Hawkeye fans with our FCS schedule then just give it up already. Whether we play at Drake Stadium or play Drake, Lehigh, Illinois State, SF Austin etc at the Dome doesn't make a difference to those that don't care and will never care. Let's take care of our own, who truly appreciate UNI football and love the game in DSM, and quit worrying about the perception of 3rd parties when we play Drake or USD or whoever.

Comment

I keep seeing the financial situation at UNI thrown around here. Unless there's been some revenue sharing on the ticket sales what exactly has playing at Drake done for us financially?

Drake makes more money off a home game with UNI then they probably make in ticket sales for 2 seasons combined.
                  "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                    I keep seeing the financial situation at UNI thrown around here. Unless there's been some revenue sharing on the ticket sales what exactly has playing at Drake done for us financially?

Drake makes more money off a home game with UNI then they probably make in ticket sales for 2 seasons combined.
                    Pretty easy, really. If we give Drake a 1 for 2 or even a 1 for 1 we don't have to pay them to come to the Dome to play us (i.e. St. Francis) and we only have to make a return trip to Des Moines instead of somewhere like SF Austin. It is much smarter financially for us to play Drake than almost anyone else (except of course a BCS money game) and we get to take our product to the backyard of largest alumni base in the country. If Drake gives us a 2 for 1 or better than it becomes a total no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                      This argument doesn't hold water. We have serious financial woes. We struggle to get opponents into the dome. And we have a huge alumni base in Des Moines that on the whole doesn't contribute to UNI athletics. This is something we need to do.
                      Yes it does. We play at Iowa and ISU, we don't need to play at Drake. Playing at Drake has nothing to do with the alumni base not contributing to UNI athletics. UNI alumni having nothing to do with UNI probably aren't at a UNI and Drake game in Des Moines. This something we should never do again.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                        whose perception are you concerned about?
                        Everyone's. Perception is reality. Playing at Drake does not help UNI. A post earlier mentioned a preference to playing at Drake rather than playing a top ten SFA. I say play the SFA's of the FCS world and be good enough to compete with them.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                          I don't get this arguement. "Public perception" for most is that we don't play D-I football, and neither does Drake.
                          Then how could we be in the NCAA basketball tournament? Asked of me in the past about both UNI and Drake.

Comment

Then how could we be in the NCAA basketball tournament? Asked of me in the past about both UNI and Drake.
                            And those people would be asking that regardless of whether we played Drake, or played a slate full of top ten FCS teams.

Some people are just morons.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                              And those people would be asking that regardless of whether we played Drake, or played a slate full of top ten FCS teams.

Some people are just morons.
                              True. So why add to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
                                Pretty easy, really. If we give Drake a 1 for 2 or even a 1 for 1 we don't have to pay them to come to the Dome to play us (i.e. St. Francis) and we only have to make a return trip to Des Moines instead of somewhere like SF Austin. It is much smarter financially for us to play Drake than almost anyone else (except of course a BCS money game) and we get to take our product to the backyard of largest alumni base in the country. If Drake gives us a 2 for 1 or better than it becomes a total no-brainer.
                                Still disagree and really disagree with the 1 for 1 arangement.

2 for 1 and UNI gets an alotment of tickets to sell and keep the money from at the Drake game.

Otherwise pay Drake to play in the Dome every year.
                                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                                X