WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Turf

In the UNI Release on spring football it mentions at the end that spring practice will be the last time we use this turf, as we will have new turf installed for the fall.

I am hoping for a different look on the field, maybe back to gold endzones.

Also there is no mention of a spring game just 15 practices?
    Last edited by achrist70; 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM.

Re: New Turf

There is no spring game.

They use the Florida Georgia Line concert as the excuse, problem is that the game has been the following Friday (this year the 28th) for several years. Farley is literally going out of his way to make sure people don't see the product he's putting out there.

As far as the turf, I'll just be thrilled if they use the correct font in the end zone instead of the crappy generic look that's on the current turf.
    #MACtion

Comment

As of Tuesday of this week, no final decision had been made on spring game yet. They are either going to try and host the spring game elsewhere - or host an open practice of sorts.
      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Are spring pactices open to the public?

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
          Are spring pactices open to the public?
          Yes, they are accepting walk-ups on a first come first serve basis as to who will be the OC for the day as well.
          UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            As far as the turf, I'll just be thrilled if they use the correct font in the end zone instead of the crappy generic look that's on the current turf.
            the UNI team probably won't end up there much, so what does it matter?

all kidding aside, I don't get overly worked up about endzone design. I just want the field itself to be green, not some lame ass color. And I want the turf to have good footing for the players, and no f'ed up seams that pose a safety hazard.

Comment

Has a vendor for the new turf been selected? Are they staying with removable turf, or biting the bullet and making it permanent? You could lay a temporary running track over the turf, right?
              Last edited by in_the_stands; 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I would be 99% sure the new turf is removable.

The indoor track under the turf is a big asset for UNI. A removable track over the turf...Not feasible operationally or financially.

I thought the new turf was a tray system...Not a roll up system. Excited to see it.

As for the comment about Farley going out of his way to keep people from seeing the product...That's absurd. He's sitting on tons of young talent.

They are taking the existing turf up for good. And then hosting a country music concert on Apr 21st...The night before the game...Which will likely make UNI $3-$500k. Not everything is a conspiracy. They're going to have at least one scrimmage open to the public.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

My biggest question is who is the new OC? I read there's another coach joining the team this weekend. John Bond has the resume to be the OC but apparently is QB coach. So...That tells me someone is coming in soon who will be calling the plays. Peaking my curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                    My biggest question is who is the new OC? I read there's another coach joining the team this weekend. John Bond has the resume to be the OC but apparently is QB coach. So...That tells me someone is coming in soon who will be calling the plays. Peaking my curiosity.
                    Well, if you follow the tone of a lot of people on this site it is Farley. I hope Farley has the smarts to do something less chaotic then he has done in the past. Your question Blue42 is the million dollar one in which no one seems to have the answer to yet but that is a Farley standard.

Comment

We've got the budget to go with the Superdome system, right?

You know, put in a permanent field turf in late August, tear it out in January each year. Only costs about $1.5 Million per year. Get it done David....
                      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                        My biggest question is who is the new OC?
                        Farley was on Press Row radio this afternoon extolling all the new assistants. Mentioned a QB coach but no mention of a offensive coordinator (that I heard) had to step out.

Comment

Everyone is jumping to conclusions - just because they are getting rid of the old turf doesn't mean new turf. Elbow pads are cheaper than turf.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                            Everyone is jumping to conclusions - just because they are getting rid of the old turf doesn't mean new turf. Elbow pads are cheaper than turf.
                            Just paint up the track, like you see in high school gyms, with the five different courts in one area. Nowhere in the rulebook does it say you need to play on a grass/grass-like surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                              Farley was on Press Row radio this afternoon extolling all the new assistants. Mentioned a QB coach but no mention of a offensive coordinator (that I heard) had to step out.
                              Yeah that's what I'm wondering about. The new QB coach has lots of OC experience on his resume...But will be QB coach or QB/Co-OC (that's what his Twitter page says) at UNI. So someone else is coming.
                              Last edited by Blue42; 03-25-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X