WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up Next: Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Up Next: Wichita State

A couple Twitter accounts tweeting that Jeremy is out tonight. They look like Twitter accounts for sports betting, don't see anything from what I would consider a reliable source yet though.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

09-10
      Matt Morrison 6-0 (fr-rs)
      Adam Koch 6-8 (sr)
      Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (jr)
      Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (sr)
      Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (jr)
      Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (jr)
      Johnny Moran 6-0 (so)
      Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (sr) juco
      Anthony James 6-0 (fr)
      Marc Sonnen 6-3 (fr)
      Austin Pehl 6-10 (fr)
      Brian Haak 6-0 (sr)
      Jake Koch 6-9 (fr)
      Tyler Lange 6-6 (fr-rs)
      BJ Ray 6-3 (fr-rs)
      Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (sr)

08-09
      Travis Brown 6-3 (sr)
      Adam Koch 6-8 (jr)
      Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (so)
      Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (jr)
      Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (so)
      Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (so)
      Johnny Moran 6-0 (fr)
      Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (jr) JUCO
      Anthony James 6-0 (fr/inj/rs)
      Carlton Reed 6-4 (sr/inj)
      Austin Pehl 6-10 (rs)
      Brian Haak 6-0 (jr)
      Jon Montgomery 6-4 (so)-left team mid-year
      Jake Koch 6-9 (rs)
      Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (jr)

The previous two NCAA teams with transfers bolded

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
        09-10
        Matt Morrison 6-0 (fr-rs)
        Adam Koch 6-8 (sr)
        Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (jr)
        Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (sr)
        Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (jr)
        Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (jr)
        Johnny Moran 6-0 (so)
        Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (sr) juco
        Anthony James 6-0 (fr)
        Marc Sonnen 6-3 (fr)
        Austin Pehl 6-10 (fr)
        Brian Haak 6-0 (sr)
        Jake Koch 6-9 (fr)
        Tyler Lange 6-6 (fr-rs)
        BJ Ray 6-3 (fr-rs)
        Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (sr)

08-09
        Travis Brown 6-3 (sr)
        Adam Koch 6-8 (jr)
        Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (so)
        Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (jr)
        Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (so)
        Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (so)
        Johnny Moran 6-0 (fr)
        Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (jr) JUCO
        Anthony James 6-0 (fr/inj/rs)
        Carlton Reed 6-4 (sr/inj)
        Austin Pehl 6-10 (rs)
        Brian Haak 6-0 (jr)
        Jon Montgomery 6-4 (so)-left team mid-year
        Jake Koch 6-9 (rs)
        Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (jr)

The previous two NCAA teams with transfers bolded
        We made the tournament in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. I think the transfers that were mentioned but not named were Wes Washpun and Paul Jesperson. While these two players are technically transfers, I don't really consider them as transfers in my mind. They came to UNI after one year at a previous school primarily because they felt like they made a bad decision by choosing a school so far away from home. I'm sure if they could go back to their senior year of high school, both of them would have gone straight to UNI.

On the other hand, transfers such as Jordan Ashton truly represent what I think of as a stereotypical transfer.

Comment

I think arguments from all sides can be made. Quality transfers can be huge for a program or they can simply add nothing and waste a scholarship.

Every team in the country has been relying on transfers lately. Locally, Iowa would be nothing without Uthoff (I've heard from a few people that if we would have had a spot open he would have been at UNI), Iowa State a couple of years ago seemed to have half of the team being transfers. Drake may still have an old coach if key players didn't transfer out. Even schools like Duke have been helped in the past with transfers like Curry or Dahntay Jones years back.

Jesperson and Washpun were both program changing transfers for us. Best thing that ever happened to Wes was that he had to sit out a year and work on his shot. I don't think we get last years Wes without him developing with an off year. Without a doubt without these two guys the last couple of years we would have possibly not made the tourney.

My biggest fear this year is that because McCloud and Brown didn't redshirt they can easily transfer and go sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. It takes one person from back home to get in their ear and start telling them that if they were in a different system they would be putting up bigger numbers. Both players fathers seem very involved and my hope is that they're simply encouraging them to stick with it. However, if we did redshirt them half of us on the message board would have been claiming that they would be the missing piece to this year and we wasted Jeremy's last year by redshirting them.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
            I think arguments from all sides can be made. Quality transfers can be huge for a program or they can simply add nothing and waste a scholarship.

Every team in the country has been relying on transfers lately. Locally, Iowa would be nothing without Uthoff (I've heard from a few people that if we would have had a spot open he would have been at UNI), Iowa State a couple of years ago seemed to have half of the team being transfers. Drake may still have an old coach if key players didn't transfer out. Even schools like Duke have been helped in the past with transfers like Curry or Dahntay Jones years back.

Jesperson and Washpun were both program changing transfers for us. Best thing that ever happened to Wes was that he had to sit out a year and work on his shot. I don't think we get last years Wes without him developing with an off year. Without a doubt without these two guys the last couple of years we would have possibly not made the tourney.

My biggest fear this year is that because McCloud and Brown didn't redshirt they can easily transfer and go sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. It takes one person from back home to get in their ear and start telling them that if they were in a different system they would be putting up bigger numbers. Both players fathers seem very involved and my hope is that they're simply encouraging them to stick with it. However, if we did redshirt them half of us on the message board would have been claiming that they would be the missing piece to this year and we wasted Jeremy's last year by redshirting them.
            Given how McCloud and Brown have played, I would think almost the opposite. If they came in playing like superstars from game 1 and the team was still losing games, then I can see them having an interest in transferring in order to utilize their talents on a "better" team. However, neither of them have been playing like that whatsoever and have struggled in their transition to D1 basketball (not unexpectedly). Granted they do seem to be getting better half way through the season, most notably McCloud, but I am not sure why anyone would think they would be doing better anywhere else, unless it was in a lower division.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
              We made the tournament in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. I think the transfers that were mentioned but not named were Wes Washpun and Paul Jesperson. While these two players are technically transfers, I don't really consider them as transfers in my mind. They came to UNI after one year at a previous school primarily because they felt like they made a bad decision by choosing a school so far away from home. I'm sure if they could go back to their senior year of high school, both of them would have gone straight to UNI.

On the other hand, transfers such as Jordan Ashton truly represent what I think of as a stereotypical transfer.
              I'm well aware of the team's NCAA appearances. I was simply adding to the previous post of NCAA rosters to show just how much/little we have gotten from transfers. Jesperson and Washpun were key contributors the last two years, Farohkmanesh (as a juco transfer) was key in the previous two though Carlton Reed and Adam Rodenberg gave some minutes but not a ton. Going back to McDermott NCAA teams, Erik Crawford was a transfer similar to Washpun, having played one season at Bowling Green before wanting to return closer to home (Minnesota). We also had Schneiderman and Gruber, juco transfers, and Godfread and Schmitt as D1 transfers, though I don't think Schmitt was ever a scholarship player.

By the way, Jesperson played two years at Virginia before transferring to UNI, not one.

Comment

IMO McDermott recruited better high school talent than Jake does. Jake is better coach but not as good at recruiting.

Took three years to surround Tuttle with enough talent to win and that was only because of transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  IMO McDermott recruited better high school talent than Jake does. Jake is better coach but not as good at recruiting.

Took three years to surround Tuttle with enough talent to win and that was only because of transfers.
                  Wow, I mean, this is just not at all correct.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                    IMO McDermott took better high school talent from Jake's recruiting class
                    FIFY (ten characters)
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                    X