Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Basketball

Panther Men's Basketball Discuss all things related to Panther men's basketball.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #141
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Default Re: Up Next: Wichita State

Quote:
Originally Posted by run&blade View Post
I think we can dial back the Tanker Lohaus hype. He wasn't that great in high school.

They way this board drools over every sine recruit like they were the steal of the country is a little over the top. The lack of talent is why the record stinks, if there were better players on the bench they would be playing.

Team has enough chuckers playing, what it needs is skilled big men and guys that can take it to the rim off the dribble and finish. Neither Lohaus fits that and they never will.
I said he was a very good athlete that will contribute eventually. That's hardly drooling, but don't let me step on your narrative...
Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #142
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
I think we can dial back the Tanker Lohaus hype. He wasn't that great in high school.

They way this board drools over every sine recruit like they were the steal of the country is a little over the top. The lack of talent is why the record stinks, if there were better players on the bench they would be playing.

Team has enough chuckers playing, what it needs is skilled big men and guys that can take it to the rim off the dribble and finish. Neither Lohaus fits that and they never will.
Good grief. He said he would probably contribute by his 3rd year here. Hardly drooling. Also, missing Wyatt has been huge for us this year. Surely you can see that?
DownGoesKansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #143
run&blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
Good grief. He said he would probably contribute by his 3rd year here. Hardly drooling. Also, missing Wyatt has been huge for us this year. Surely you can see that?
Honestly I don't, I think it is just a convenient excuse for the poor record. He doesn't have what the team desperately needs.

I throw lohaus, rhoades, haldemen, and a couple more into the generics category. Basically worthless unless they are on fire from the three point line. Defensive liabilities that don't have a prayer of creating their own shot or rebounding. Uni has way too many of them on the roster.

Last edited by run&blade; 01-10-2017 at 09:54 PM.
run&blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #144
DownGoesKansas

Quote:
Honestly I don't, I think it is just a convenient excuse for the poor record. He doesn't have what the team desperately needs.
I mean it's not like we'd be having a great season but it'd be better. A very experienced guard to go along 2 freshman would be helpful.
DownGoesKansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #145
Blue42

Quote:

I throw lohaus, rhoades, haldemen, and a couple more into the generics category. Basically worthless unless they are on fire from the three point line. Defensive liabilities that don't have a prayer of creating their own shot or rebounding. Uni has way too many of them on the roster.
Keep in mind all...I've never read a single positive comment from Run&Blade regarding UNI athletics on this board...ever.

Despite the fact we've been to 7 NCAA tourneys in 13 years, a Sweet 16, won back to back MVC tourneys, and beat ISU, UNC, Wichita State (twice) and Texas last year.

Not sure he's capable of...or interested in...supporting anything UNI.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #146
run&blade

I have said several times Jake is the best coach in the valley.

If you want to pretend this roster is dripping with talent go ahead.

Being positive for some means lying about how good the players are.

Keep in mind the success of the previous two years was fueled by transfers, something I have wanted to see more of for a long time.

Can't remember the last home football game I didn't go to. Usually go to several basketball games also but that train wreck in wells Fargo turned me off for the year. Have a couple kids attending school at UNI. But yes, I don't support it.

Last edited by run&blade; 01-10-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #147
CyCarp

Quote:

If you want to pretend this roster is dripping with talent go ahead.

Being positive for some means lying about how good the players are.

Keep in mind the success of the previous two years was fueled by transfers, something I have wanted to see more of for a long time.

Can't remember the last home football game I didn't go to. Usually go to several basketball games also but that train wreck in wells Fargo turned me off for the year. Have a couple kids attending school at UNI. But yes, I don't support it.
I guess if the talent sucks now, you might as well turn off UNI basketball games for the next few years. I mean, next year all we're adding is Tanner as a RS and another lanky white guy. The year after that we might be lucky enough to get yet another short white PG, this time he's an assistant's son. I get the frustration, but UNI has never had the most athletic or talented guys in the country. We always have (and likely will for a long time) been successful by developing guys. I think our freshman class has a lot of talent, but it takes time to adjust to the speed of the game, schedule, size of college players vs HS, etc. I feel like that is especially true for big men (Dahl) and guys who handle the ball a lot (McCloud).
Old 01-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #148
Pantherlope2019

We're at least 3 years out from dancing, again. We'll have to get used to the NIT as the best case for a while. That would be assuming Coach Jake stays in Cedar Falls.

Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-11-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Pantherlope2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #149
dan_beeding

Quote:
Contributors from the past two years teams, transfers bolded

2014-2015 roster
Mitchell (All Conference Honorable Mention)
Jesperson (MVC All Newcomer Team)
Bohannon
Tuttle (1st team all conference, Larry Bird MVC POY, All American)
Washpun (All Conference Honorable Mention)
Singleton
Buss
Morgan
Lohaus

2015-2016
Carlson
Friedman
Jesperson
Bohannon (MVC Honorable Mention)
Washpun (2nd team All MVC)
Morgan (MVC All Defensive & Honorable Mention teams)
Koch
Lohaus

I won't post my thoughts, just wanted this there for reference.
dan_beeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #150
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:

We need to mark this down.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #151
CyCarp

A couple Twitter accounts tweeting that Jeremy is out tonight. They look like Twitter accounts for sports betting, don't see anything from what I would consider a reliable source yet though.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #152
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

09-10
Matt Morrison 6-0 (fr-rs)
Adam Koch 6-8 (sr)
Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (jr)
Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (sr)
Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (jr)
Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (jr)
Johnny Moran 6-0 (so)
Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (sr) juco
Anthony James 6-0 (fr)
Marc Sonnen 6-3 (fr)
Austin Pehl 6-10 (fr)
Brian Haak 6-0 (sr)
Jake Koch 6-9 (fr)
Tyler Lange 6-6 (fr-rs)
BJ Ray 6-3 (fr-rs)
Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (sr)

08-09
Travis Brown 6-3 (sr)
Adam Koch 6-8 (jr)
Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (so)
Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (jr)
Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (so)
Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (so)
Johnny Moran 6-0 (fr)
Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (jr) JUCO
Anthony James 6-0 (fr/inj/rs)
Carlton Reed 6-4 (sr/inj)
Austin Pehl 6-10 (rs)
Brian Haak 6-0 (jr)
Jon Montgomery 6-4 (so)-left team mid-year
Jake Koch 6-9 (rs)
Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (jr)

The previous two NCAA teams with transfers bolded
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #153
Codytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats View Post
09-10
Matt Morrison 6-0 (fr-rs)
Adam Koch 6-8 (sr)
Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (jr)
Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (sr)
Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (jr)
Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (jr)
Johnny Moran 6-0 (so)
Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (sr) juco
Anthony James 6-0 (fr)
Marc Sonnen 6-3 (fr)
Austin Pehl 6-10 (fr)
Brian Haak 6-0 (sr)
Jake Koch 6-9 (fr)
Tyler Lange 6-6 (fr-rs)
BJ Ray 6-3 (fr-rs)
Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (sr)

08-09
Travis Brown 6-3 (sr)
Adam Koch 6-8 (jr)
Kerwin Dunham 6-6 (so)
Jordan Eglseder 7-0 (jr)
Kwadzo Ahelegbe 6-2 (so)
Lucas O'Rear 6-6 (so)
Johnny Moran 6-0 (fr)
Ali Farokhmanesh 6-0 (jr) JUCO
Anthony James 6-0 (fr/inj/rs)
Carlton Reed 6-4 (sr/inj)
Austin Pehl 6-10 (rs)
Brian Haak 6-0 (jr)
Jon Montgomery 6-4 (so)-left team mid-year
Jake Koch 6-9 (rs)
Adam Rodenberg 6-6 (jr)

The previous two NCAA teams with transfers bolded
We made the tournament in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. I think the transfers that were mentioned but not named were Wes Washpun and Paul Jesperson. While these two players are technically transfers, I don't really consider them as transfers in my mind. They came to UNI after one year at a previous school primarily because they felt like they made a bad decision by choosing a school so far away from home. I'm sure if they could go back to their senior year of high school, both of them would have gone straight to UNI.

On the other hand, transfers such as Jordan Ashton truly represent what I think of as a stereotypical transfer.
Codytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #154
UNIhoops

I think arguments from all sides can be made. Quality transfers can be huge for a program or they can simply add nothing and waste a scholarship.

Every team in the country has been relying on transfers lately. Locally, Iowa would be nothing without Uthoff (I've heard from a few people that if we would have had a spot open he would have been at UNI), Iowa State a couple of years ago seemed to have half of the team being transfers. Drake may still have an old coach if key players didn't transfer out. Even schools like Duke have been helped in the past with transfers like Curry or Dahntay Jones years back.

Jesperson and Washpun were both program changing transfers for us. Best thing that ever happened to Wes was that he had to sit out a year and work on his shot. I don't think we get last years Wes without him developing with an off year. Without a doubt without these two guys the last couple of years we would have possibly not made the tourney.

My biggest fear this year is that because McCloud and Brown didn't redshirt they can easily transfer and go sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. It takes one person from back home to get in their ear and start telling them that if they were in a different system they would be putting up bigger numbers. Both players fathers seem very involved and my hope is that they're simply encouraging them to stick with it. However, if we did redshirt them half of us on the message board would have been claiming that they would be the missing piece to this year and we wasted Jeremy's last year by redshirting them.
UNIhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #155
PantherAlum 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIhoops View Post
I think arguments from all sides can be made. Quality transfers can be huge for a program or they can simply add nothing and waste a scholarship.

Every team in the country has been relying on transfers lately. Locally, Iowa would be nothing without Uthoff (I've heard from a few people that if we would have had a spot open he would have been at UNI), Iowa State a couple of years ago seemed to have half of the team being transfers. Drake may still have an old coach if key players didn't transfer out. Even schools like Duke have been helped in the past with transfers like Curry or Dahntay Jones years back.

Jesperson and Washpun were both program changing transfers for us. Best thing that ever happened to Wes was that he had to sit out a year and work on his shot. I don't think we get last years Wes without him developing with an off year. Without a doubt without these two guys the last couple of years we would have possibly not made the tourney.

My biggest fear this year is that because McCloud and Brown didn't redshirt they can easily transfer and go sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. It takes one person from back home to get in their ear and start telling them that if they were in a different system they would be putting up bigger numbers. Both players fathers seem very involved and my hope is that they're simply encouraging them to stick with it. However, if we did redshirt them half of us on the message board would have been claiming that they would be the missing piece to this year and we wasted Jeremy's last year by redshirting them.
Given how McCloud and Brown have played, I would think almost the opposite. If they came in playing like superstars from game 1 and the team was still losing games, then I can see them having an interest in transferring in order to utilize their talents on a "better" team. However, neither of them have been playing like that whatsoever and have struggled in their transition to D1 basketball (not unexpectedly). Granted they do seem to be getting better half way through the season, most notably McCloud, but I am not sure why anyone would think they would be doing better anywhere else, unless it was in a lower division.
PantherAlum 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #156
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codytwo View Post
We made the tournament in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. I think the transfers that were mentioned but not named were Wes Washpun and Paul Jesperson. While these two players are technically transfers, I don't really consider them as transfers in my mind. They came to UNI after one year at a previous school primarily because they felt like they made a bad decision by choosing a school so far away from home. I'm sure if they could go back to their senior year of high school, both of them would have gone straight to UNI.

On the other hand, transfers such as Jordan Ashton truly represent what I think of as a stereotypical transfer.
I'm well aware of the team's NCAA appearances. I was simply adding to the previous post of NCAA rosters to show just how much/little we have gotten from transfers. Jesperson and Washpun were key contributors the last two years, Farohkmanesh (as a juco transfer) was key in the previous two though Carlton Reed and Adam Rodenberg gave some minutes but not a ton. Going back to McDermott NCAA teams, Erik Crawford was a transfer similar to Washpun, having played one season at Bowling Green before wanting to return closer to home (Minnesota). We also had Schneiderman and Gruber, juco transfers, and Godfread and Schmitt as D1 transfers, though I don't think Schmitt was ever a scholarship player.

By the way, Jesperson played two years at Virginia before transferring to UNI, not one.
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #157
run&blade

IMO McDermott recruited better high school talent than Jake does. Jake is better coach but not as good at recruiting.

Took three years to surround Tuttle with enough talent to win and that was only because of transfers.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #158
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Quote:
IMO McDermott recruited better high school talent than Jake does. Jake is better coach but not as good at recruiting.

Took three years to surround Tuttle with enough talent to win and that was only because of transfers.
Wow, I mean, this is just not at all correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #159
95UNIGRAD
Panther Dad in Fall '17

Quote:
IMO McDermott took better high school talent from Jake's recruiting class
FIFY (ten characters)

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
- George Halas
95UNIGRAD is offline   Reply With Quote