WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bloomberg's College Football Financial Woes series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloomberg's College Football Financial Woes series

Thanks to Trapped In California's post referencing one of the articles in the series. I would encourage everybody to read all of the articles. A lot of interesting information, especially the TV deals.

For instance, in this link, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-alive-anymore it shows what happened to Conference USA when it renegotiated (if you can even call it that) it's deal. They went from earning nearly $10 million as league in 2015-16 to $2.8 million. Each school saw their average drop from $1.1 million to just $200,000 per year.

Related articles: http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/...s-cbs-espn-fox; http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5...rence-usa-2016; http://pilotonline.com/sports/colleg...a42d957e7.html

Another Bloomberg article addressed a few problems of trying to move up or down from FCS to FBS, chasing the money: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ols-can-t-quit

UMass made the jump to FBS in 2011, becoming bowl eligible in 2013 and now are playing as an independent. We'll see how that plays out in the future. Two other schools went different directions with their FBS football problems.

In 2014, UAB had to choose between going to FCS or dropping football completely. Based on costs, the president chose to drop football. This resulted in a large protest by alumni and resulted in (from the article) "In the six months after the school announced the decision to cut football, alumni gave $17.2 million earmarked for the revival of the team. It was enough to cover five years of operating expenses, plus the reinstatement of the bowling and rifle teams. Since that initial influx, donors have contributed another $25 million, largely to cover the cost of a new football program. The $42 million raised in the past two years is more than the total in the entire history of UAB athletics, according to Athletic Director Mark Ingram."

Idaho will be playing FCS again after the Sun Belt Conference didn't renew their affiliation. The Idaho president stated costs were a concern, and they couldn't compete with the spending of schools in the Mountain West. He felt it was best to drop back to FCS. The alumni weren't happy as donations dropped 25%.

I think things like these, especially with the ever-changing TV market and college conference landscape, should put to rest any talk of UNI moving up to FBS to get the bigger money. And I know it isn't a big topic of discussion, there are those that still feel that might be a good route to go.

Re: Bloomberg's College Football Financial Woes series

I'd like to see us have a winning record again before ever hearing of moving up in the future.
    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
    - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
      I'd like to see us have a winning record again before ever hearing of moving up in the future.
      Definitely, and throw in a few MVFC titles and playoff wins.

Comment

That's cute that you guys think moving up has anything to do with wins and losses...
        #MACtion

Comment

Never said it did. We all know moving up to FBS or back down to FCS is all about money. I was just saying that UNI is better off where they are at in the FCS than looking to move up to FBS. Unless they go into a Power 5 conference, the money isn't there or the potential to not be there. That's why I referenced the articles of schools similar to UNI and the financial problems they are having with football and the money that didn't come with the move up to FBS.

We have a lackluster fan base (student and community) and alumni that won't give on the level that UAB did. Yet there are people that still believe / hope that moving up to FBS will solve a lot of the financials. The Bloomberg articles were just one reference point that shows that that's not the case.

I think what UNIGrad and I were speaking of was let's focus on actually winning more games in our conference and getting back to where UNI and the fans are used to seeing them. And if there are alumni, fans, coaches and administrators that have the thought of a future move to the MAC or a smaller FBS conference in the back of their minds, maybe accept that it's not all silver and gold when you make that jump.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            That's cute that you guys think moving up has anything to do with wins and losses...
            I don't. I just don't think it's a subject that should even be talked about when we're both financially toeing the line and finishing middle of the pack in our FCS conference. Or does being successful not affect the bottom line with donations, ticket sales, merchandise, etc.?
            Victory for U-N-I!

- George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
              Never said it did. We all know moving up to FBS or back down to FCS is all about money. I was just saying that UNI is better off where they are at in the FCS than looking to move up to FBS. Unless they go into a Power 5 conference, the money isn't there or the potential to not be there. That's why I referenced the articles of schools similar to UNI and the financial problems they are having with football and the money that didn't come with the move up to FBS.

We have a lackluster fan base (student and community) and alumni that won't give on the level that UAB did. Yet there are people that still believe / hope that moving up to FBS will solve a lot of the financials. The Bloomberg articles were just one reference point that shows that that's not the case.

I think what UNIGrad and I were speaking of was let's focus on actually winning more games in our conference and getting back to where UNI and the fans are used to seeing them. And if there are alumni, fans, coaches and administrators that have the thought of a future move to the MAC or a smaller FBS conference in the back of their minds, maybe accept that it's not all silver and gold when you make that jump.
              Exactly. Let's be successful where we're at.
              Victory for U-N-I!

- George Halas

Comment

Eh, the Top of FCS/G5 merger is coming. It's just a matter of time.

70 scholarships, 16 team playoff with regional bowls for others, 10k attendance requirement. That's where we fit and I think it'll be a pretty good product...
                #MACtion

Comment

BC ndsu fans have been saying that for 5-6 years and I'm afraid the same scared people to move up will be saying that in 15-16 years
                  UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Psssst! Outdoor stadium.......

Comment

Working...
                    X