WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marvin Singleton Commits to Northern Iowa

Marvin Singleton, who recently committed to Northern Iowa, suffered a high ankle sprain at Pacesetter. He could miss as much as two months.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Get better soon Marvin!
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
        Get better soon Marvin!
        this.

kaboom.
        Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Singleton added 15 points on 7-of-19 from the field and added eight rebounds.

Comment

Several mentions of Marvin, but here is one at the end.

For Hopkins, Marvin Singleton 22 points and just too strong. Demetrius Martin came up big with 4 3s and 18 points. Joe Coleman 17 points on 6-16 shooting with 1-4 on actual jump shots. That's 3-10 on jumpers in the 2 Hopkins games I've watched in person this season. He easily could have had 25 as he went 5-12 on chip shots. Their experience really showed in making critical plays. The offensive glass was a major factor in this one too. Against the 4 guard lineup, Hopkins took advantage with Stahl and Singleton. Hopkins is now 4-0 and hosts St. Louis Park on Tuesday. Then its off to the Best Buy Holiday Tournament at Augsburg for a possible showdowns with Minnesota Transitions and St. Paul Johnson.

Comment

Excited for this recruit but I don't understand Coach Jake's aversion to tall big men. Has he already forgotten about Jordan and what he could do? He seems to like the stubby guys who can undercut and battle for position. He knows what he is doing though, who am I to say?

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMoon View Post
                who am I to say?
                Who are you to say, well let me tell you, you're the Spanishmoon, your the straw that stirs the Panther Nation drink, your the urine that turns the snow yellow, your the F'in SpanishMoon. You are Panther Nation!!

Comment

UNI has:
                  Austin Pehl 6'10" (Soph)
                  Jake Koch 6'9" (Soph)
                  Nate Buss 6'8" (Fresh-Redshirting)
                  Seth Tuttle 6'8" (to be Freshman)
                  Chip Rank 6'6" (Fresh)
                  Tyler Lange 6'6" (RS Freshman)

UNI has a rotation of three guys that will be in the mix next year in Koch, Rank, and Pehl. They have Buss and Tuttle that will most likely battle for the #4 post player spot (as well as Lange). You don't need more than four posts in a rotation, and I think there is some quality there that can get the job done next year.

If you look at UNI, they run a 3 guard offense. With Kerwin hurt, UNI is at the edge of their depth in the guard court. Right now, UNI has 4 guards averaging 22 minutes or more...the next closest guard is Morrison with 6.4 min (over 10 games). UNI can't keep that up over the course of the season, which is why it's important for Kerwin to come back healthy. At this time, Kwadzo and Kerwin graduates, which means that there are 3 guards playing significant minutes coming back next year. There are zero scholarship guards redshirting this year, so you need to have at least one, if not two guards ready to play next season...and one of them better be a PG to help replace Kwadzo. That's what the staff did. They got Deon Mitchell at point, a combo in Lyle, a SG in Bohannon, and a versatile Singleton who is big and strong enough to log some minutes at the 2, 3, or 4 (mostly the 3 and 4). Singleton provides a backup plan if there were to be multiple injuries to the front court, but also provides a quality wing that's strong enough to handle the rigors of D-I basketball.

So, I guess I question people a little bit when they complain that UNI isn't recruiting enough big men. UNI has two post players that play at any given time. So, 40% of the team should be post players. Of the 13 scholarship players, 40% is 5.2. So, UNI should have 5-6 post players on the team. They have 5 scholy post players, 1 walk-on who receives some minutes this year, and a strong 6'5" wing forward that can play some post next year. To me, it seems as though they have their bases covered.

UNI has been very fortunate in not having attrition on their teams the last couple years (besides graduation). One of the reasons has been b/c UNI has been winning, also, they have guys who understand and play their roles, and b/c you don't have guys sitting on the bench or getting minimal minutes for multiple years. It's hard for a guy like Austin Pehl to sit for 2 years, knowing that it's year 3 at the earliest that you will get into the rotation. Talented guys don't do that very often, even though UNI has been fortunate to have guys do that (like Jared Josten, Adam Viet, A.Pehl, and to an extent Brian Haak/Matt Morrison who were guys who were walk-ons that got scholys). When you start getting 6+ scholy post players, it gets tricky b/c there is only going to be a four man rotation for the most part and as long as guys are willing to accept their role to develop for a year or two then it's fine, but it's a challenge.

For the 2012 class, I'm not really sure who UNI will go after. They will have 5 scholarship post players still, and they will have a 4th year walk-on, Tyler Lange. They will also have a full stable of guards too (but the following year Sonnen and James will graduate). That 2012 class is loaded in Iowa with local standouts in guards Harrington, Staten, Kasperbauer, Abrahamson, and Syani Chambers (Hopkins HS) and Mike Gessel (South Dakota) and Woodbury (post). It will be interesting to see which way UNI goes with only one scholy.

Comment

one thing ive noticed in college hoops is that when classes are unbalanced, things tend to work themselves out.

Comment

Classes as in year to year (5 recruits one year, 2 the next) or are you talking about the guard to post ratio (4 guards, 1 post on year, 2 posts the next)?

IMO, the key to consistency is for UNI to continue to have the continuity in a lack of attrition. Keep guys who buy-in and grow their roles yearly.

Comment

Pttb, since I have been reading PN you have always been a voice of sanity. However, I disagree with you in this matter. Of the post players you listed, Koch wants to be a wing, at least on offense, Buss needs to be a wing as does Rank. And if you are saying we can rely on a 6'5" wing type player to man the post I say you are dooming yourself to mediocrity. I personally would like to see UNI go to a set that would have two interior type posts, a wing player, and the 2 guards. You would match up better against the top 25 type teams much better, in my opinion.

Comment

I find it funny that people are complaining that we don't have any 7 footers right now. You all do realize that Jordan was the only 7 footer in UNI history right?

Guys that are 6'10+ that aren't clumsy/are worth a damn and don't get snatched up by one of the power conferences aren't as easy to find as you think

Comment

They don't need to be 7 foot, or even 6'10". But they need to be of some size and have a good low post game. Gruber, Coleman, Reese, weren't they 6'6, 6'7, and 6'8? They were all fairly effective inside. At the risk of being crucified, even Greg McDermott scored over 1000 points at 6'8 if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by coachdon View Post
                              They don't need to be 7 foot, or even 6'10". But they need to be of some size and have a good low post game. Gruber, Coleman, Reese, weren't they 6'6, 6'7, and 6'8? They were all fairly effective inside. At the risk of being crucified, even Greg McDermott scored over 1000 points at 6'8 if I recall.
                              Greg who? Wasn't a mcdermott suppose to play at Uni this year? A low post kind of guy I think? I forget but the name sounds familiar.

Seriously just kidding I am happy with our team as is and I wish we had gruber back. He was fierce

Comment

Originally posted by coachdon View Post
                                Pttb, since I have been reading PN you have always been a voice of sanity. However, I disagree with you in this matter. Of the post players you listed, Koch wants to be a wing, at least on offense, Buss needs to be a wing as does Rank. And if you are saying we can rely on a 6'5" wing type player to man the post I say you are dooming yourself to mediocrity. I personally would like to see UNI go to a set that would have two interior type posts, a wing player, and the 2 guards. You would match up better against the top 25 type teams much better, in my opinion.
                                No problem. You have a point, but I think it's very difficult to find quality big men that play just in the post (or are primarily in the post). I think that Jake Koch is and can play more in the post than has been shown at times this year, and I think Austin Pehl is obviously a 5 feet and in type of player at 6'10". I think you will see Seth Tuttle playing a good portion of his game with his back to the basket also (even though he has a nice bounce to his game that can take opponents from the wing to the post). In all reality, it's not like UNI has gone just after 6'6" post players. There are several they have gone after that blow up on the recruiting trails that don't end up at UNI. At this point, I'm not worried about the inside post presence.

Comment

Working...
                                X