WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2018 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Originally posted by NEI Panther View Post
    Seems a little weird to me that they picked up two more bigs. 1,2, and some 3 will need to be played between 5 guys counting Fran's son next year. The rest of the lineup is made up of big 3's, 4's and 5's.
    Force them to run half court offense. They where bad at that before with decent guards, now what is he thinking?

Comment

They'll be over a scholarship too. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

EDIT: Check that - Dale Jones was already given a 6th year for the 2017-2018 season, so Iowa is over TWO scholarships for 2017-2018 and one for 2018-2019. Any bets that Fran will pull a Mc$ and pay for his kid a year or two?
      Last edited by CyCarp; 09-12-2016, 05:07 PM.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        They'll be over a scholarship too. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

EDIT: Check that - Dale Jones was already given a 6th year for the 2017-2018 season, so Iowa is over TWO scholarships for 2017-2018 and one for 2018-2019. Any bets that Fran will pull a Mc$ and pay for his kid a year or two?
        It's already been documented that Connor could redshirt. The other one, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
          It's already been documented that Connor could redshirt. The other one, who knows.
          That doesn't really change the scholarship situation though. I've never seen somebody lose their scholarship because they take a RS their freshman year.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

That doesn't really change the scholarship situation though. I've never seen somebody lose their scholarship because they take a RS their freshman year.
            Could be a 4 for 5 situation though right? Like what we did with Carlson

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
              Could be a 4 for 5 situation though right? Like what we did with Carlson
              I guess I'm not 100% sure, maybe somebody else here can clarify. I always assumed that guys who RS would get 5 years on scholarship, unless they agreed to turn a year down. I'm not 100% sure on the Carlson situation, but if you look at last year for UNI, Haldeman, McDonnell, and Dahl all counted towards our 13 scholarships. I'm assuming they'll all be on scholarship for their remaining 4 years of eligibility (if all stick around obviously). Anybody?

Comment

A player can go on or off scholarship at any time. UNI has done 5-for-5's, 4-for-4's, 4-for-5's (Carlson, Jake Koch I believe, Tuttle too was first offered this, but later became a full scholarship from day one), and 3-for-5's (Josten). All counted as scholarship athletes the moment they go on scholarship...doesn't matter if they RS. A scholarship is a scholarship. Just like Doug at Creighton, he became a walk on to help bring in more talent. This wouldn't surprise me if Fran used this tactic.
                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

From a financial perspective, I think it makes most sense for a HC that recruits his own son to pay for tuition. The school already pays the HC a nice salary and then to top that off its okay for him to recruit his own kid and decide that kid is getting free tuition? That seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Comment

Are there any negatives to a player being "non-scholarship" besides the check covering tuition/expenses? Is there anything less they can participate in or have access to?
                    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                      From a financial perspective, I think it makes most sense for a HC that recruits his own son to pay for tuition. The school already pays the HC a nice salary and then to top that off its okay for him to recruit his own kid and decide that kid is getting free tuition? That seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Plus, it just seems crazy for the coach not to take advantage of the opportunity to have an extra player on scholarship (e.g. the Omaha school which shall not be named).

Comment

Walk ons can take part in all aspects of the program except scholarship, tuition, board, and COA funding.
                        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                          Are there any negatives to a player being "non-scholarship" besides the check covering tuition/expenses? Is there anything less they can participate in or have access to?
                          No and no. They are a member of the team, nothing about that changes. They are simply a walk-on. Walk-on players don't get "less" anything compared to scholarship guys

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                            At many smaller private schools, kids can attend tuition free if their parents work there. It's the same concept, although the janitors/faculty at these smaller schools aren't making $1M+ a year that coaches make. Myself I think it looks worse if a coaches kid isn't on scholarship and essentially the coach is paying for a kid who should in no way be a walk on to play. Like McDermott, he was a National POY contender yet consisted a walk on, because Gibbs was given a 15th year and it put them over scholarships.

Comment

At many smaller private schools, kids can attend tuition free if their parents work there. It's the same concept, although the janitors/faculty at these smaller schools aren't making $1M+ a year that coaches make. Myself I think it looks worse if a coaches kid isn't on scholarship and essentially the coach is paying for a kid who should in no way be a walk on to play. Like McDermott, he was a National POY contender yet consisted a walk on, because Gibbs was given a 15th year and it put them over scholarships.
                              For every one Doug McDermott there's probably 15 John Lickliters.

Comment

Talented 2018 guard Tyrese Haliburton (Oshkosh North / @WisconsinUnited) is on a visit to Northern Iowa today

Comment

Working...
                                X