WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2016 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2016 Panther Basketball Recruit List

I am thinking that Ricky Davis was up there I think he was as high as a top 15 recruit by some services.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
      I am thinking that Ricky Davis was up there I think he was as high as a top 15 recruit by some services.
      Good call. Since he was talented enough to leave after one year, he would've been ranked way up there. Not sure about top 15, but certainly well into the top 100.

Al Lorenzen (sp?) got a lot of pub back in the day too. He never played up to it, but was a solid contributor at Iowa for a couple of seasons. Notice though, that we're going back a while to find an example. Those type of players are rare in Iowa, and when there is one, there are usually some pretty compelling reasons for him to leave the state.

Comment

What about Woodbury? I think he was as high as a top 50 recruit at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
          What about Woodbury? I think he was as high as a top 50 recruit at one point.
          he has exsposed serious flaws in the rating system then.

Comment

I just tried to Google all McDonalds all star game participants by state. Nothing found, but did see that Harrison Barnes won the game MVP award in 2010. That easily has to make him the most decorated high school player in Iowa history. I didn't try to see if guys like Ricky Davis, Woodbury, Hoiberg, etc. made the team.

Interestingly, I also saw that Aubrey Sherrod won the MVP in the early '80s. While he was pretty good at Wichita State, he ended up being the fifth wheel on some of the insanely talented teams they had back then. Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel, Greg Dreiling, etc.

Comment

I believe Nick Collison was the last McD AA before Barnes. Would have been 1999ish...
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                I just tried to Google all McDonalds all star game participants by state. Nothing found, but did see that Harrison Barnes won the game MVP award in 2010. That easily has to make him the most decorated high school player in Iowa history. I didn't try to see if guys like Ricky Davis, Woodbury, Hoiberg, etc. made the team.

Interestingly, I also saw that Aubrey Sherrod won the MVP in the early '80s. While he was pretty good at Wichita State, he ended up being the fifth wheel on some of the insanely talented teams they had back then. Cliff Levingston, Antoine Carr, Xavier McDaniel, Greg Dreiling, etc.

WSU did have some talented teams then, but Dreiling wasn't a part of them. He went to KU. Just wanted to fill you in before some Shocker fan with an over-developed sense of Jayhawk hate took you to task for it.
                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                - George Halas

Comment

I think a significant recruiting challenge for us is style of play - or at least the perception of it. It seems like during every national broadcast the analyst emphasizes how UNI slows it down. While the speed of play statistics may back that up, they do run some and I don't think Jake pulls back on the offensive reigns - in fact, there were games last year he'd press to try to speed things up. The old saying was that Dean Smith was the only one to keep Jordan under 20 ... I don't see that in Jake. I'm not sure how to fight the slow-down perception though. Not complaining - just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by ClivePanther View Post
                    I think a significant recruiting challenge for us is style of play - or at least the perception of it. It seems like during every national broadcast the analyst emphasizes how UNI slows it down. While the speed of play statistics may back that up, they do run some and I don't think Jake pulls back on the offensive reigns - in fact, there were games last year he'd press to try to speed things up. The old saying was that Dean Smith was the only one to keep Jordan under 20 ... I don't see that in Jake. I'm not sure how to fight the slow-down perception though. Not complaining - just sayin'.
                    I agree that the national media always goes to that tired old line. In reality have been mutltifaceted and run and gin and slowed it down and play half court. I think we go with the players we currently have which vary in speed year to year.

One thing they should take to the bank is that we are a highly defensive minded team and under jake always will be. I for one think defense wins games. Just ask kentucky #1 in defense last year I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      I believe Nick Collison was the last McD AA before Barnes. Would have been 1999ish...
                      The way Barnes in playing right now he might just end up the best Iowan to ever play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        I kinda remember McDermott playing in that same game with Barnes?

Comment

Originally posted by r54uni View Post
                          I kinda remember McDermott playing in that same game with Barnes?
                          Ames was on ESPN a couple of times, but Dougie was not a McDonalds All-American.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                            WSU did have some talented teams then, but Dreiling wasn't a part of them. He went to KU. Just wanted to fill you in before some Shocker fan with an over-developed sense of Jayhawk hate took you to task for it.
                            Dreiling transferred to WSU, and played with at least some of those guys for a year or two. I watched those WSU teams square off against Drake at Vets. We had Drake season tickets, so I was fortunate enough to see some really good MVC basketball growing up.

Comment

2002 looks to be the last year a top 40 recruit stayed in Iowa. 3 in top 70.

(Check out #272 on that list)

1997 looks to be the next year a top 40 recruit stayed in Iowa. There were 2 based on one publication.

Ricky Davis was not a McD AA
                              Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-23-2015, 06:47 AM.
                              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Last time UNI had a top 50 recruiting class?
                                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                                X