WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates on the coaching staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any updates on the coaching staff?

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    What is exactly stopping the University from increasing these student fees, heck if you made them $500 dollars that would help our athletic programs immensely. Furthermore I don't think that an extra $300 dollars a year would deter many students from coming here.
    Student government has long fought, harder than any other fight, against student fee increases of even a penny. I get not wanting to add more to student debt, but we could completely "cut off" general fund money in a few short years with a relatively simple fix.

The BOR has mandated to President Nook that increasing enrollment is very high on the list of things to do, if not number 1. I agree. UNI needs to get to 15K, minimum. If we could find a way to push to 20K it would be even better, but let's focus on 15,000.

Right now UNI students pay about $160 per year in athletic fees. That simple math is the 1.9m in fees divided by 12,000 students enrolled. Adding 3,000 more students, at the same fee structure, takes us to 2.4m in fees. That's not a huge number, but it's a start.

Now, at 15,000 students if we moved to $400 (still a pretty damn low student fee compared to every other university in D1) we would have generated $6,000,000 in revenue. That is an extra 4.1 million over what we are generating now. Getting to $6,000,000 in student fees gets us off of general fund money completely, which is currently about $4,300,000. It also doesn't really move us up, or down, in terms of % subsidized either, which is nice.

That doesn't increase our budget, but it would give our athletic department the ability to go "Look, our university is paying for itself which is what you always wanted. Now back the hell off of all of your threats and start helping us in ways we need the help." Potentially allocating that $4.3m into the academic side. That would make them happy and would potentially open up some university money for athletics.

UNI enrollment has dropped pretty hard the last decade. We absolutely need to get enrollment to a minimum of 15,000 to start to "increase" university health, though.

A better comp would be Illinois State. They are a very, very, similar institution. The most recent numbers have them at 9.8m in student fees. That breaks down to about $500 at student. They have increased their enrollment, massively, over the last decade or so. They are now over 21,000 students. Not only are they increasing enrollment, they are attracting better students in the process. They are adding about 400-500 more students every year the last half decade to decade. The state of Illinois is broke, and about to start shutting universities down. Illinois State is about the only one not worried. They've been strategically building for a while. They are almost exactly the model we need to take.

Based on what I'm reading, Nook is wanting a similar approach. He seems to be very pro-athletics and has said that the university will grow through, and because of athletics. I won't be shocked to see a student fee increase debated/enacted in the next year or two. Especially if/when WSU leaves the Valley. I would believe Nook/Harris would be doing everything they can to look at new homes as well. That will mean an increased budget and student fees will need to play a big part in that in some fashion.
    Last edited by claw; 03-09-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

When was the last time student fees were increased? Has it kept up with the tuition and board increases? I think I know the answer already...

Comment

#MACtion

Brings back Big Ten Money at double the rate Iowa has paid us
        Gets us a slice of their ESPN contract
        Football travel is actually better

Weekday football sucks, but we don't draw anything anyway and this might give it a shot in the arm and its only November where there isn't much tailgating atmosphere anyway.

We could move to the MAC today and be the best MBB program, the best VB program and be top 3 in Track, WBB and Softball, not to mention they actually sponsor wrestling where we're already top 2.
        #MACtion

Comment

Doesn't the BOR essentially consider student fees the same as general university support? I mean subsidizing Athletics is subsidizing. I don't think they really care if it's student fee bucket or others it's still out of the University bucket.

Does all of the student activity fee go to athletics? $59.50/semester

If there's 13,000 students that's over $1.5 Million already.

Isn't that nearly the same amount of money that the PSC raises each year? We have 113,000 Alumni and I don't know how many fans and their combined contributions now equals that of 13,000 students?

I don't think the students are who we should lean on for more $$.
          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            #MACtion

Brings back Big Ten Money at double the rate Iowa has paid us
            Gets us a slice of their ESPN contract
            Football travel is actually better

Weekday football sucks, but we don't draw anything anyway and this might give it a shot in the arm and its only November where there isn't much tailgating atmosphere anyway.

We could move to the MAC today and be the best MBB program, the best VB program and be top 3 in Track, WBB and Softball, not to mention they actually sponsor wrestling where we're already top 2.
            More and more I'm totally on board with the MAC. We already don't draw much for crowds. Hell maybe weekday games would be different enough to not matter all that much. SELL BEER! vastly improve the food options, no reason to tailgate just get in the dome early and enjoy!

When the weather is nice, Have outdoor areas around the dome (especially between dome and McLeod Center) where you are already scanned in and can buy food/drink and hangout before the game.

Maybe we can contract both Iowa and ISU every year at double the guarantee? IDK how many tickets we get to those games but one of the options could be UNI season tickets that also include the FBS road game or games.
            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
              Doesn't the BOR essentially consider student fees the same as general university support? I mean subsidizing Athletics is subsidizing. I don't think they really care if it's student fee bucket or others it's still out of the University bucket.

Does all of the student activity fee go to athletics? $59.50/semester

If there's 13,000 students that's over $1.5 Million already.

Isn't that nearly the same amount of money that the PSC raises each year? We have 113,000 Alumni and I don't know how many fans and their combined contributions now equals that of 13,000 students?

I don't think the students are who we should lean on for more $$.
              UNI's enrollment has dropped to under 12,000. Fall 16 numbers so 11,906. Which is down from 15. Which is down from 14. Which is down from 13. Noticing a trend?

The issue the BOR has is money coming from the state going to the athletic department, student fees they don't care about. Iowa State is over 2 million in student fees and Iowa is about a million. They can be kept low because of their TV money. Student fees are considered separate that the general fund and university support.

As of the FY15 numbers UNI's funding:
              2.2m in ticket stales
              3.02m in contributions
              2.8m in rights/licencing
              1.9m in student fees
              8.7m in school funds (general fund is counted in this but not all of this)
              1.7m from other sources

Move that student fee up to 6m and drop school funds to 4.7m and it's essentially what the BOR has been pushing for as it's about 4.3m from the general fund going to athletics. Which is paid right back to the school, which makes their entire issue with the funds being used stupid.

Comment

So - why is our enrollment dropping so steadily?
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                  I lost the numbers, I used to have all fall enrollments starting about 1998. From what I remember, and it's been a while since I looked at them, enrollment grew slowly from 98 to about 2011. It started dropping at about 10% a year (roughly 100) students since. It was accelerated/made worse by the complete over reaction and misinformation war that was waged against President Allen over the Price Lab situation. That happened late 2011 and was official in Feb 2012. Enrollment in fall 2012 and fall 2013 dropped by nearly 700-1,000 students from what I remember. Freshman classes were smaller, coupled with our retention rate caused a massive ripple. It's why we've now seen 4 straight years of growth in the freshman class. The students with "hard feelings" are now about 99% gone. We are on our second president since then (also doesn't help). I think we are at "rock bottom" more or less and can move forward

It's odd. Then enrollment is dropping but according to the numbers this year the freshman class is over 2,000 and up about 100 over last year. It's the largest freshman class since 2008 and is the 4th straight year of the freshman class being larger than the one coming in. It seems like it's a retention issue. HOWEVER, the freshman retention rate from 2015 freshman was 85.9, the highest ever recorded in UNI history. There has to be a retention issue after year 2 or 3 but I haven't seen an "Average" retention rate in a few years (which furthers my thought on it)

4 year graudation rate is up and the highest ever recorded
                  5 year graduation rate is up and the highest ever recorded
                  Average ACT and GPA of incoming freshman is getting higher.
                  Most non-Iowa resident students enrolled ever
                  More minority students than ever before

The numbers are odd to study, and I'm sure it's baffling for the admissions office. I wish I could go "Looks like this" but I see nothing to indicate why it's dropping. Based on freshman class sizes, freshman retention rate, etc... we should be growing, but we aren't. I also wonder what our transfer in rate looks like.

I'd be real interested to see a 5 year strategic plan for growing enrollment. And/or a review of the last 5. Sadly, I think the effects of the Price Lab disaster (which was the right move) really hurt the university

I think that all happened right as Iowa and Iowa Stat were able to capalalize on it. Iowa State is "stopping" their growth on purpose. They are just shy of 37K. Over the last decade they've grown by 44%. They were very aggressive in recruiting kids. Iowa is staying aggresive. They are growing by 1,200-1,500 students every year and want to get that number to 2,000 a year by 2020. Essentially they want to get to 6,500 incoming freshman every year.

UNI doesn't have the money to recruit/advertise like those two. They also seem to refuse too. I drive all over eastern Iowa every week. I see one or two UNI signs. None of them outside of the CF/Wloo area. I see dozens of Iowa/Iowa State signs. Couple that with the Price Lab situation and it set UNI back pretty bad it seems.
                  Last edited by claw; 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Iowa high school student numbers are continually dropping. Competition for in state students not only with ISU and SIU but with private schools, tech schools and junior colleges is at a higher level with a diminishing number of Iowa high school graduates. Internet schools offering on line degrees are increasingly popular.

It doesn't get any easier to attract students. Government statistics show the people with education above high school are at a lower rate for unemployment than those with a high school education or below. Also the higher education level obtained the better chance for employment.

Comment

Programs is something to look at as well from both the perspective of the incoming students as well as outgoing alumni. I think the biggest area UNI has for growth is science and engineering. With John Deere being a major employer in the area that constantly seeks out these students, it would behoove UNI to grow in the science and engineering degrees. I don't know if the ever pursued this accreditation?. I graduated with a manufacturing technology degree from UNI and, while helpful, I would have probably done better earlier in my career by going to Iowa State. I'm not saying UNI has the same capacity to get to ISU's level, but there is a large gap in engineering between the two that, in my opinion, could shrink drastically, and this draws in students seeking Industrial, Mechanical, etc. engineering degrees. I would think there would be a support from the local community to advance this as well. Maybe I don't know all of the details? Maybe they have tried to pursue this in the past? I know teaching will always be at UNI's core, but I think other areas can/should get bigger and/or better to help bring in more students. The other "higher level" degrees can also bring in possible growth with the "larger pockets" of Alumni...that's a theory anyway.

Comment

No chance that Iowa State allows the BOR to allow UNI to add any engineering programs.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          No chance that Iowa State allows the BOR to allow UNI to add any engineering programs.
                          Bingo. There's been a push in the past to shut down "overlapping" programs and assign them to one school. No chance that UNI is allowed to actually grow our STEM departments.

The BOR is forcing UNI to stay a teachers/business school. Well, that's going to cause growth issues.

The funny thing is talking out bothsides of their mouths and the BOR allows Iowa's business school to continue to grow to kill of UNI's program but won't let UNI grow any of their programs.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                            The funny thing is talking out bothsides of their mouths and the BOR allows Iowa's business school to continue to grow to kill of UNI's program but won't let UNI grow any of their programs.
                            And that's the part that drives me the most nuts! I've seen in the past 10 years how ISU and UofI have grown both their teaching and engineering programs without a harness like UNI sees. If the regents are wanting to see growth, it would be nice if they let loose the reigns on some of the programs like those.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                              It has pretty much leveled off the past four Fall semesters, within a couple hundred students.

Fall enrollment grew from late '80s (mid-to-high 11k) through the '90s to peak at just over 14k in 2001. In 2002, then-President Koob announced 'we are planning and taking action to reduce our enrollment to match our resources.' (https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-fall-enrollment-at-13926br).

Fall Semester Enrollment:
                              • 1981 . . . . 10954
                              • 1982 . . . . 10988
                              • 1983 . . . . 11204
                              • 1984 . . . . 11161
                              • 1985 . . . . 11514
                              • 1986 . . . . 11540
                              • 1987 . . . .
                              • 1988 . . . . 11772
                              • 1989 . . . . 11645
                              • 1990 . . . . 12638
                              • 1991 . . . . 13163
                              • 1992 . . . . 13045
                              • 1993 . . . . 12717
                              • 1994 . . . . 12572
                              • 1995 . . . . 12802
                              • 1996 . . . . 12957
                              • 1997 . . . . 13108
                              • 1998 . . . . 13329
                              • 1999 . . . . 13553
                              • 2000 . . . . 13774
                              • 2001 . . . . 14070
                              • 2002 . . . . 13926
                              • 2003 . . . . 13441
                              • 2004 . . . . 12824
                              • 2005 . . . . 12513
                              • 2006 . . . . 12260
                              • 2007 . . . . 12609
                              • 2008 . . . . 12908
                              • 2009 . . . . 13080
                              • 2010 . . . . 13201
                              • 2011 . . . . 13168
                              • 2012 . . . . 12273
                              • 2013 . . . . 12159
                              • 2014 . . . . 11928
                              • 2015 . . . . 11981
                              • 2016 . . . . 11905

https://www.library.uni.edu/collecti...uni-fact-sheet (through 2014)
                              https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-release...llment-numbers (2015)
                              https://uni.edu/newsroom/uni-announc...llment-numbers (2016)
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I think the effects of the Price Lab disaster (which was the right move) really hurt the university

We also dropped a bunch of majors.

Fewer JCs transferring in?

Comment

Working...
                                X