WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Simple...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Simple...

Unless the Offensive Line play improves and allows us to develop some sort of running game, this team and all of us will be looking forward to next year (again) in November.

Establish the run and it opens up the play-action passing game.

Establish the run and the home run ball comes back into the playbook as D-lines can't just pin their ears and come after Sawyer from the get go and the LB's and safeties have to play the run first.

Establish the run and we run game clock, allowing the defense to stay fresh for when they are on the field.

Everything starts up front with the big guys. A few years ago we had a transfer from Oklahoma starting on the line, this year we have a transfer from Upper Iowa.
    Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
    Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
    UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Re: It's Simple...

When your offensive line traidionally avg. 6'5, 300lbers, which is better than most FBS lines...your standards as an offensive line are way higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
      When your offensive line traidionally avg. 6'5, 300lbers, which is better than most FBS lines...your standards as an offensive line are way higher.
      Agreed. I will take 5 250 pound guys who sell out to block someone over what we have now though... The first two games have been downright embarrassments from our oline. No one picking up blitzers, no run blocking, etc. had Iowa blitzed in week one, we would have lost by more than 8...

Comment

That's one of the few advantages to losing to FBS teams, you have a better idea of what you have to work on. Better than beating a creampuff 56-0. Hopefully they are working on blitz pickup as we speak.

Comment

Good point MnPantherFan

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79
            are the license and registration fees on blitz pickups based on monetary value or gross weight?
            Definitely gross weight, it especially helps with a bull rush. Don't ask about license and registration fees for bulls, I have no idea.

Comment

BUMP,

LINE PLAY HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER

I am not a Bill Salmon fan either, but this season and the past few have all been about not being able to establish anything at the point of attack. I counted at least 5 plays Saturday that had timing thrown off by the snap not being made to the quarterback where they could handle it. Hard to throw a quick slant or play fake to DJ if you have to pick the ball of the turf first.
              Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
              Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
              UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post
                BUMP,

LINE PLAY HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER

I am not a Bill Salmon fan either, but this season and the past few have all been about not being able to establish anything at the point of attack. I counted at least 5 plays Saturday that had timing thrown off by the snap not being made to the quarterback where they could handle it. Hard to throw a quick slant or play fake to DJ if you have to pick the ball of the turf first.
                Good point and this has happened the last couple of years. Not only a low snap, but not quick enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alleycat View Post
                  Good point and this has happened the last couple of years. Not only a low snap, but not quick enough.
                  We were talking about this on Saturday too. It is like watching my son's flag football team try to hand it off from center. So slow and clumsy and not at all smooth.
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                    We were talking about this on Saturday too. It is like watching my son's flag football team try to hand it off from center. So slow and clumsy and not at all smooth.
                    Not just slow and clumsy, but damn close to having the ball blown dead for hitting the turf, potential fumble, etc. There are all kinds of things that can happen with low, bad snaps in a shotgun or pistol formation. None of them are good.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      Not just slow and clumsy, but damn close to having the ball blown dead for hitting the turf, potential fumble, etc. There are all kinds of things that can happen with low, bad snaps in a shotgun or pistol formation. None of them are good.
                      This showed up during the SDSU game thread as well. I did not see that game but might go back to the USD replay still on ESPN.
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                      X