WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa Game Thread

#15/16 South Dakota State @ #20/21 Northern Iowa

Most likely this will be the Game of the Week in the Valley. Normally two top tier Valley teams battling it out in the Dome this weekend. Both teams will be ranked in the top 20 in the polls and both are looking for a huge win to bolster their playoff resume and conference positioning.

So let's get down to it, shall we!?!?

The Enemy: Jackrabbits of Brookings, SD. They hold a 4-2 overall record with a 1-1 in the conference. They lost not just the game to Missouri to open the season but one of the best QBs in the conference and country in Austin Sumner, to a broken foot. He will most likely not be available for this weekends game. His backup, Zach Lujan (SO.) is an Alaskan-bred QB that transferred from a dinky school in California. His stats in relief this year have been quite interesting. He is 96 for 159 for 1359 yds and 10 TDs and 7 INTs. He avgs. 226 through the air a game. He is 4-1 as a starter for the Jacks.

The real show, however, is what we all know and should expect. ZACH ZENNER. A senior RB, conference leader in like 100000 categories it seems. UNI has had his number the last 3 years as he has only scored 1 TD on the ground against us in his career. In his career against UNI he has rushed 60 times for 270 yds and 1 TD. (4.5 yds per carry and 90 ypg). This season he has rushed 149 times for 938 and 7 TDs. He is a great athlete and it will truly be interesting to see how good our defense is against this great back.

In comparison DJ against the Jacks has rushed 56 times for 225 yards (4ypc, 75 ypg) and a TD but also has 11 receptions for 112 yards as well.

The Jacks top passing threat is WR Jake Wieneke. He has 27 receptions in 6 games for 521 yards (86 ypg, 19 ypc) and 6 TDs. Their second leading receiver also has 27 receptions on the season for 374 yds and 3 TDs. Name is Jason Schneider.

The Panthers will counter with their big 3 of Vereen, LeMaster and Johnson. Vereen has 5 TD catches on only 16 receptions this season, while Vereen LeMaster and Johnson are all avg. 47.5-49.5 ypg.

The Bunnies come in avg. 28 ppg and giving up just 23. The Cats avg. 31.5 a game and give up just 18. At home though, the Cats have been stout, avg. 48 points a game and giving up just 7 (garbage 7s at that).

The Bunnies are -5 in turnover margin while the Cats are +4.

The second quarter continues to be the Panthers key quarter as they have scored a whopping 90 points in the frame this season.

UNIs downfall outside of passing/coaching or what have you; 3rd down conversions. UNI is 34 for 98 on the season (34.6%) SDSU is 33 for 77 (43%). Another key for UNI will be in the Redzone or the Go kick it Zone. UNI is an astounding 26 of 27 in the redzone (96%) but of those only 12 are TDs. They have shot themselves in the foot time and time again on first and goals and with inept play calling at times...3 pointers aren't going to cut it. Definately not now in the brutal part of the schedule. SDSU has been more efficient with TDs in the RZ. The Jacks have only scored 17 times out of 23 (74%) , but of those 17 scores, 12 are TDs.

This game has the makings of a hit em, grind it out, last team with the ball is going to win kind of game. The big keys will be for UNI to keep moving the sticks. The longer Zenner is not on the field, the better chances we have. Pressure the young QB. He has thrown 7 picks in 6 games. Don't lose coverage on their big two WRs. Keep Zenner in check. He can have a 150 yd day as long as he is going 35 carries like last year. Honestly with our defense this year...I really don't see him breaking 75. Dead honest. Avoid stupid penalties, especially in the redzone and keep the crowd loud and into it! The Casual fan may see this as a oh we're 3-3, but for us die hards...we definately know how huge this game is. Don't let up!

Prediction: Really to close to call. If we can do 3/4 of the keys to the game, UNI should have the ability to take home the win. You got the best kicker in the country if needed!

Panthers squeak one out. 21-17.
    Last edited by Purrrrrfect; 10-13-2014, 02:26 PM.

Re: The South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa Game Thread

The "dinky school in California" that Lujan transferred from is a community college / JuCo. Wiki lists it as having an enrollment of 13,145 (isn't UNI's enrollment around 14K?). Though that number might include part-time students and maybe online enrollment, I don't know.

Doesn't really have any impact on the game, i just thought I'd throw it out there. Both teams have a few juco transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
      The "dinky school in California" that Lujan transferred from is a community college / JuCo. Wiki lists it as having an enrollment of 13,145 (isn't UNI's enrollment around 14K?). Though that number might include part-time students and maybe online enrollment, I don't know.

Doesn't really have any impact on the game, i just thought I'd throw it out there. Both teams have a few juco transfers.
      Man, you got him so good there, Jay! Without that correction I would've been so lost watching this game. Thanks to your uncanny ability to be the resident know-it-all, I'll be able to REALLY enjoy the game day experience.

Go Panthers!

Comment

Excellent assessment of this weeks game. Two teams in the top 20, but I suspect the loser may drop out of the top 25. Especially if it is UNI. So, this is a huge game against evenly matched teams.

Too close to call, for sure. I like UNI having the advantage at kicker, also.

I agree with your call:

UNI - 21
        SDSU - 17 (SDSU throwing into the endzone on the last play, but defense comes up big...pass interference not called).

Comment

Originally posted by Luther_Heggs View Post
          Excellent assessment of this weeks game. Two teams in the top 20, but I suspect the loser may drop out of the top 25. Especially if it is UNI. So, this is a huge game against evenly matched teams.

Too close to call, for sure. I like UNI having the advantage at kicker, also.

I agree with your call:

UNI - 21
          SDSU - 17 (SDSU throwing into the endzone on the last play, but defense comes up big...pass interference not called).
          So another possible heart attack inducing game.

The next 3 home games are probably the toughest stretch of home games ever not counting playoffs. Barring an upset, Illinois State will likely come to the dome on Nov 1 undefeated so we could be facing undefeated teams back to back in November.

Comment

5-3 (3-1) heading into those 2 games would be huge talk about positioning yourself for a conference title and playoff birth. Do work this week boys!

Comment

We wouldn't have it any other way!

Comment

Panthers will continue with the 2 QB system and LeMaster and Dorleant are questionable for the game.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...3f8b6cacb.html

Comment

Checkout the latest GPI rankings. 9 of 10 MVFC teams now in top 25. Un-real. UNI #9 !!!

Comment

Originally posted by pantherfansince92 View Post
                    Panthers will continue with the 2 QB system and LeMaster and Dorleant are questionable for the game.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...3f8b6cacb.html
                    When you play two it means you dont have a qb. If you watch that awful qb effort on Saturday you would agree.

Comment

I vote we go with carnes. It gives a bigger and better rushing attack with/for DJ.

Comment

Let's face it fans....we are getting horrible qb play....sawyer continues to over throw open receivers....Carnes doesn't look comfortable on any of his throws...i don't know what happened..sawyer seems to get worse every time he gets on the field....beyond frustrating to watch....we won't make the playoffs this year with a 50 percent completion rate..going to be a realist here....i see an end of season record of 6-6......somebody please make me look at this team different! !

Comment

Originally posted by Alum 99' View Post
                          Let's face it fans....we are getting horrible qb play....sawyer continues to over throw open receivers....Carnes doesn't look comfortable on any of his throws...i don't know what happened..sawyer seems to get worse every time he gets on the field....beyond frustrating to watch....we won't make the playoffs this year with a 50 percent completion rate..going to be a realist here....i see an end of season record of 6-6......somebody please make me look at this team different! !
                          Trust me, Saturday night I was Mr. Glass Half Empty on this team.

I've always thought a college football team has four to five games where they play at their highest level. The other six or seven games they probably perform at or below expectations. I suspect Coach Farley and staff knew that South Dakota is not the team UNI needed to play their best to defeat. But starting with this weekend, they are all games where the underperforming team will lose. My money is on that Coach Farley will have this team ready to start their run this Saturday.

SK knows 50% will not get it done from this point on. I think he will respond well against SDSU.

Comment

I believe if UNI loses this game they will be knocked out of playoff contention. Their wins so far on the season the teams have a combined 6-14 record.

Comment

I don't think they're done if they lose, but they would certainly have to run the table the rest of the way. Wins over NDSU and SIU would fix a lot of doubts for an 8-4 team.

A win tomorrow would do wonders, considering it might buy us a little leeway where we could lose a tough one to the Bizon or the Salukis and not have it keep us out.
                              Last edited by 95UNIGRAD; 10-17-2014, 09:59 AM.
                              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                              - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                              X