WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EWU fan here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EWU fan here

Hello Panthers;
    We are nervously looking forward to the game in Cedar Falls.
    As are most fans, we think a lot of our team and are hoping for a trip to Frisco but are concerned that this game could make that more challenging. The last 2 trips to your dome have not ended as we hoped.
    Before and after the game what is the "must see and do" in town. Good local food? How is the tailgating environment?
    Anybody want to swap a bottle of Washington wine for something Iowa?

Re: EWU fan here

Clawman, welcome.

I love J's Homestyle right up the street from the stadium. It will be packed, but it is a classic.

Would you mind giving us a little scouting report on your team? What does the game with Oregon teach us about your team?

Comment

You may want to check out this thread from last year, regarding restaurants:

And other locals will chime in as well. Personally, I would look to the OP for pizza on College Hill (the business district adjacent the university's northeast corner, across the campus from where the game is) or head to the Parkade, the original downtown area of Cedar Falls (lots of local stuff there), but you will need a car to get there (then can park and walk about).

Being the first home game, I imagine it will be a good turnout for tailgating on the west side of the UNI-Dome. Tailgating was basically non-existent as late as the late '90s at UNI (certainly tried, though). I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw last year - it has grown, I believe with encouragement of the athletic department. But others here will have more information about that.

Will many make the trip from Spokane? That is am impressive show of support for your team.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Stay at the Blackhawk Hotel if you can and get out on Main Street for food/drinks. Cafe Dué, Wiskey Road, Single Speed, and Scratch Cupcakery are some of my favorite spots.
        Originally posted by TH1974
        This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          Stay at the Blackhawk Hotel if you can and get out on Main Street for food/drinks. Cafe Dué, Wiskey Road, Single Speed, and Scratch Cupcakery are some of my favorite spots.
          Love what they did with the Black Hawk Hotel ... great restoration. If you remember what it was in the '70s and '80s and have not seen it since, you need to walk the lobby. The whole Parkade is so different.

Clawman, just off the Parkade is a Maid-Rite, which is a midwestern (but mostly Iowan) thing:

Cedar Falls Maid-Rite, Cedar Falls, Iowa. 3,172 likes · 3 talking about this · 1,259 were here. The Maid-Rite Shop has been in Cedar Falls, IA since 1947. We are located at 116 E 4th St. This...

Might be worth a stop.

Also, the Parkade is the older downtown area in Cedar Falls, where the Black Hawk Hotel and all the spot Kyle cites are. It has gone from retail to office to restaurant/bar/shops over the past four decades. You can see snowy shots at http://imgur.com/gallery/tLQy3 of the Parkade (including Maid Rite!).

When you are in Cedar Falls Saturday, there shouldn't be any snow.

Comment

If he's coming to Iowa, he needs to get a tenderloin. Town House Tenderloins south of town would definitely be my pick for that. Sooooo good.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
              If he's coming to Iowa, he needs to get a tenderloin. Town House Tenderloins south of town would definitely be my pick for that. Sooooo good.
              Good call, 95.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                Clawman, welcome.

I love J's Homestyle right up the street from the stadium. It will be packed, but it is a classic.

Would you mind giving us a little scouting report on your team? What does the game with Oregon teach us about your team?
                First reaction to the Oregon game, speed kills!
                So many plays our guys were just 1/2 step or less out of it. But in many positions we were not really outmanned just over adjustments or out of position and there is not time to make adjustments against their speed. Most fans left feeling like we can play with some Pac 12 teams just not this one.
                Jordan West is our starting QB. He did a nice job but went out with cramps in the middle of the 3rd qtr. Reilly Hennesy stepped in and did a great job. A joke floating around is the 3 best QB's in the game were from Eastern.
                Our receiving corps is deep and very good. Cooper set a new receiving record for Autzen stadium by making 15 catches for over 250 yds. He is a STUD.
                We also have pretty good running backs, not as experienced but fast and shifty. I would expect to see our play calling to get closer to 50/50 balance.
                On defense we gave up 61 points but it was against the best offense the Eagles have ever faced. With that said defense has not been a strength of Eastern but we have a different DC and a different scheme. Hope shines eternal at this point we will know a lot more after this Saturday.
                So we scored 42 points on the second best team in the country last year and ranked 6 in the polls this year. I'm hoping we can do that well or better. The UNI dome has been a tough place to win for many teams and especially the Eagles.
                What are your expectations for this game?

Comment

Visited EW website. Students don't begin fall classes til Sept. 23rd. Their team gets lots of preparation time for most games in Sept. I should have searched when their semester ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                    Visited EW website. Students don't begin fall classes til Sept. 23rd. Their team gets lots of preparation time for most games in Sept. I should have searched when their semester ends.
                    final exams Dec. 7-10, last day of fall quarter Dec. 11

their winter quarter runs Jan. 4 - March 18 and their spring quarter runs March 28 - June 10, and they have a summer quarter June 20 - Aug. 12
                    Last edited by vbfan19; 09-10-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clawman View Post
                      So many plays our guys were just 1/2 step or less out of it. But in many positions we were not really outmanned just over adjustments or out of position and there is not time to make adjustments against their speed. Most fans left feeling like we can play with some Pac 12 teams just not this one.
                      Jordan West is our starting QB. He did a nice job but went out with cramps in the middle of the 3rd qtr. Reilly Hennesy stepped in and did a great job. A joke floating around is the 3 best QB's in the game were from Eastern.
                      Our receiving corps is deep and very good. Cooper set a new receiving record for Autzen stadium by making 15 catches for over 250 yds. He is a STUD.
                      We also have pretty good running backs, not as experienced but fast and shifty. I would expect to see our play calling to get closer to 50/50 balance.
                      On defense we gave up 61 points but it was against the best offense the Eagles have ever faced. With that said defense has not been a strength of Eastern but we have a different DC and a different scheme. Hope shines eternal at this point we will know a lot more after this Saturday.
                      So we scored 42 points on the second best team in the country last year and ranked 6 in the polls this year. I'm hoping we can do that well or better. The UNI dome has been a tough place to win for many teams and especially the Eagles.
                      I expect that EWU will lead 20-0 at halftime due to your solid offense & the inability of our offense to get more than one first down. If Bailey starts, after the second series, your defense will realize that he only will run & sink your safeties up into the box.

Then I expect for half of the crowd to leave at halftime & not be able to get back in after the start of the second half, watching the remainder of the contest on TV at their respective tailgates. Our defense shuts you down in the second half . . . final score: EWU 27-UNI 10 (Panthers score on an interception return and get an FG after you guys fumble on your own 20 yard line; Eagles score on a punt return).

If we start Kollmorgen, then we have a fighting chance.

Comment

Sorry lakes, ndsu should beat uni, but they'll loses to sdsu on the road. Book it. And be thankful Isu- red is off the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionpanther View Post
                          Sorry lakes, ndsu should beat uni, but they'll loses to sdsu on the road. Book it. And be thankful Isu- red is off the schedule.
                          Last time I checked NDSU beat ISU-red last time they played. SDSU beat a horrible KU team. They could easily lose this week.

Comment

Originally posted by clawman View Post

Thanks, clawman. I don't know what to expect. The first game against Iowa State was a hard one from which to know what this team is really capable of. They moved the ball well at the outset, mostly with QB Bailey making very nice runs on 3rd and long. Even marched down the field for the first score. Then the rest of the game seemed to be determined by field position. UNI's average starting line was their 21. Iowa State's was their 48. It didn't seem like UNI's offense or defense got to play a normal drive for the rest of the game because of the field position. Frankly, I think UNI is at a significant disadvantage because of its QB competition. The offense just hasn't synced yet. And the defense has yet to find its identity in a post-Xavier and post-Farley season.

Comment

We arrived in Cedar this afternoon and have spent the rest of the day exploring. Nice town! We ended up downtown at Single Speed Brewery. Good beer and good happy hour special on their flatbread.
                              We liked your downtown area, campus is very nice, friendly people. One thing we were disappointed in is the seemingly lack of fan support. I'll bet we didn't see a dozen people wearing UNI colors. Whats up with that?
                              We'll head over to the tailgating areas 10-11. tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X