WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is wrong with....

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    If the t-shirt cannon is going to suck please stop the pa announcement about it shooting 30 shirts in 10 seconds or whatever b.s. they announce.

It is like setting yourself up to be ridiculed, which I don't think is the purpose of being a sponsor.
    10 seconds to unload - 5 minutes to load

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
      10 seconds to unload - 5 minutes to load
      A lifetime to master.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

I thought it was a great crowd too. Plenty of energy. And it was nice seeing the west side still remain somewhat full after halftime.

As for the t-shirt cannon, that has to go. It shoots out all of its shirts at the lower part of section J, maybe H. It may be reloaded by the time it gets to the band, and then it shoots the remaining shirts at R and Q. I'd rather have people throwing the shirts at various levels in the stands so they are evenly dispersed among the crowd. If I was Deery I would find another way to advertise.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post

As for the t-shirt cannon, that has to go. It shoots out all of its shirts at the lower part of section J, maybe H. It may be reloaded by the time it gets to the band, and then it shoots the remaining shirts at R and Q. I'd rather have people throwing the shirts at various levels in the stands so they are evenly dispersed among the crowd. If I was Deery I would find another way to advertise.
          Like these?

Last edited by ronfitch; 09-13-2015, 06:54 PM.
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Just an honest question. Not meaning anything critical at all, and know it is a long shot:

Every year we complain about the pregame U-N-I chant. I am a fairly recent graduate, and I know first hand that as a student it completely kills the mood. Actually, the entire pregame kills the mood. We have a cool intro with the flags and the garage door, but no one cares after being put to sleep by the Alma Mater.

Has anyone ever tried to contact Dannen (et al.) to get this changed? I know that money talks, but if a great number of fans wrote in to get this changed, would it make a difference or at least get them thinking about changing this awful "tradition?" Dannen must have more power than the band director...

Comment

The only people that I see lose interest with the UNI band formation are those that don't care what the band is doing on the field to start with. I happen to sit near the band parents because I like to try and share my football knowledge with parents of band members and many of them will be there for 4 years and if I can educate them on football, maybe longer.
              ( yes, their is a significant number of people at the game that are not there for the game ). Personally, I thought the crowd was well involved especially early on 3rd downs for the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersKB View Post
                Just an honest question. Not meaning anything critical at all, and know it is a long shot:

Every year we complain about the pregame U-N-I chant. I am a fairly recent graduate, and I know first hand that as a student it completely kills the mood. Actually, the entire pregame kills the mood. We have a cool intro with the flags and the garage door, but no one cares after being put to sleep by the Alma Mater.

Has anyone ever tried to contact Dannen (et al.) to get this changed? I know that money talks, but if a great number of fans wrote in to get this changed, would it make a difference or at least get them thinking about changing this awful "tradition?" Dannen must have more power than the band director...
                You would think, but they've tried to relocated the band and make a couple other changes in the past. The band has threatened just to pull out if any changes were made to anything they do. Yeah...great band we have

Comment

The U-N-I thing was lame the first time it was done. The alma mater is a different story. It's in a great place right before the National Anthem. This season I've been looking at band locations in stadiums. Many are in the end zone. Virginia Tech's was on the 20 yd line. UNI's is on the 30-40 and could easily be move over to the 20-30 yd line sections. They're large enough that they can certainly be heard, but why reserve primo seats for them?

Comment

You would think, but they've tried to relocated the band and make a couple other changes in the past. The band has threatened just to pull out if any changes were made to anything they do. Yeah...great band we have

So, it is really a battle of egos?

Obviously, I am not in charge - but I would call them on their bluff. The marching band is there to support the football program, not the other way around. Believe me, I am a huge supporter of bands and the arts, but gameday is ultimately not about the egos of band directors.

Let them pull out of game day at the dome and just crank the music up. (And I know...this would require actually fixing the sound system....ugh )

Comment

Was a huge topic of discussion for the Fan Advisory Committee. Basically, the department is unwilling to approach the band about any changes for fear they pull out in a huge, public PR disaster.

The band wouldn't budge on seating, pregame cheer, placement of alma mater, or stopping the ridiculous 'buy our CD' script at the end of their pregame. The only concession they'd make was making sure they were set earlier for the intro video and Hells Bells.

We cede more power to the band than any football program on earth.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Call their bluff and refer all calls to the music department.

Comment

Or, they could let it be quiet for 15 minutes

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                            Was a huge topic of discussion for the Fan Advisory Committee. Basically, the department is unwilling to approach the band about any changes for fear they pull out in a huge, public PR disaster.

The band wouldn't budge on seating, pregame cheer, placement of alma mater, or stopping the ridiculous 'buy our CD' script at the end of their pregame. The only concession they'd make was making sure they were set earlier for the intro video and Hells Bells.

We cede more power to the band than any football program on earth.
                            If any of that is really true then that is an utter embarrassment from UNI leadership.
                            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                              Or, they could let it be quiet for 15 minutes

From my NSA monitored nexus 5
                              Honestly, my thoughts exactly. Football games give the marching band the forum to perform their show. Who is going to pay for tickets to go to the dome on a random Thursday night to watch a marching band perform a twenty minute show? Truth is, the band needs football more than football needs the band. I don't understand how they get to control all of the power in the situation.

But, on the other hand, fixing issues with the band isn't going to suddenly sell thousands of season tickets . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                                If any of that is really true then that is an utter embarrassment from UNI leadership.
                                Heard it straight from the horses mouth. Embarrassing is the right word...
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X