WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Turf

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
    None for sale to us? I would think we would pay more per square yard than a batting cage. Disappointed that we didn't even get an opportunity.

Oh well, maybe it should be "good riddance" on that field.

Someone should keep a piece and make a TD memorial!
    I do typically need somewhere to pee during tailgating...
    #MACtion

Comment

Some of the turf will be used for UNI softball batting cages in the old university museum near the southwest edge of campus. Other UNI teams will benefit from the old turf as well. Look for some of it to be available to the public, as the previous turf was about 10 years ago, with the remainder going to Astroturf.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
        Some of the turf will be used for UNI softball batting cages in the old university museum near the southwest edge of campus. Other UNI teams will benefit from the old turf as well. Look for some of it to be available to the public, as the previous turf was about 10 years ago, with the remainder going to Astroturf.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Saw the new turf in person for the first time today, is it pretty. This was a good investment already.
          Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
            Saw the new turf in person for the first time today, is it pretty. This was a good investment already.
            You mean the lines actually line up?
            Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Good to know that the new turf isn't just an internet hoax.
              Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-28-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                You mean the lines actually line up?
                It's got padding underneath and everything, it's not just carpet on cement like the last one was.

Comment

It's got padding underneath and everything, it's not just carpet on cement like the last one was.
                  Technically it's a rubberized track surface but I'm just splitting hairs. The original Mn. Gopher artificial surface was a 3M product which was like brillo pad on concrete. Guaranteed to remove the outer layer of any body part that came in contact with it. Worst of all worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
                    Technically it's a rubberized track surface but I'm just splitting hairs. The original Mn. Gopher artificial surface was a 3M product which was like brillo pad on concrete. Guaranteed to remove the outer layer of any body part that came in contact with it. Worst of all worlds.

Brillo pad on concrete! Ouch!

I remember the old Gately Stadium in South Chicago. It was like playing on a mini-putt course. Really thin, bright green, and just laying on concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

alternatively, I'd like to see a full house at every game so that the color of the bleacher backs don't really matter
                      A full house is doubtful for every game. It is likely that not even everyone on here will attend all the games. I plan to because I am a loyal fan who even if I don't agree with everything Farley does or if we play sketchy I will still attend. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin and don't run away. Running away is cowardly.

On a positive note, I saw the latest pic of the field and it looks absolutely stunning. It is something for Panther fans to be proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                        I plan to because I am a loyal fan who even if I don't agree with everything Farley does or if we play sketchy I will still attend. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin and don't run away. Running away is cowardly.
                        False. I also take issue with your use of "running away" as the description.

There are very, very, few ways that 99% of fans can make their feelings known:
                        1. They can write a letter/e-mail the the AD, not knowing if it will even ever been seen.
                        2. Go to games and boo - people typically take issue with home fans booing their program at games
                        3. Social media - which will likely be completely ignored by the athletic department 98% of the time
                        OR
                        4. They can let their "voices be heard" in a way the AD will not be able to ignore - the check book and attendance.

People not showing up, especially those who already spent money on a ticket, to a game is the easiest way to gauge the state of the program, as well as the happiness of a fan base. It's not that these people don't care. In fact, it's because of how much they care. The fact that people that have been going to games for two, three even four decades, have decided that doing literally anything else is more enjoyable than spending 3-4 hours watching the product being put on the field should say something. That isn't fair weather fans running away. UNI's fan base doesn't have a ton of bandwagon fans most years. We have a pretty solid core of about 10-12K for football that will be there pretty much every week. When those people stop showing up it's not because they are running. It's their way of protesting what is happening. I, personally, know a couple big donors that have been going to games since Farley was the "Walk on from Waukon" that have decided the time commitment to drive to Cedar Falls, watch the clown show on the field and then drive home wasn't worth it for them. They aren't running from crap. They were going to games during the Sheriff years, and as fondly as Sheriff is remembered (and as vital as he was in so many ways at UNI), he wasn't real good at putting winning teams on the field with any kind of consistency. The amount of money they've donated to UNI over the years, money spent on tickets, clothing, banquets, UNI Foundation, Friends of Gallagher, etc... on top of travel costs to follow the football, men's and women's basketball teams, volleyball, wrestling, etc... around the country is incalculable. They aren't running. They aren't any "less true" a fan than you are. Dick measuring contests over "true fans" are really dumb, especially at a place like UNI 98% of the time.

Since the start of the 2009 season there has been ONE double digit win season?.one. That was 2011 when the team went 10-3 and got curb stomped in the quarterfinals 48-10. Against full D1 scholarship teams over that time UNI has gone 5-4, 7-5, 10-3, 4-6, 6-5, 9-5, 9-5, 5-6. That is 55-39 (58.5%). Sure, that doesn't sound too bad. Then remember that 28 of those 55 (OVER HALF) of those wins came in less than half the years played. Half of the years in that time frame have included 6, or less, D1 wins. That's not a healthy program.

Sure, you want to talk about the fans that would make up 12,001 through 16,500 in the UNIDome as being fair-weather and running? I guess I can't truly argue that. My only counter would be that if we aren't drawing them out to a game, it's because of quality on the field and not because of ticket prices, sight lines, etc... It's on the program to be good enough to turn those fair weather fans into long time season ticket holders and donors. If the program isn't good enough to draw those fans out, it isn't creating new fans. It isn't increasing the size of its fan base. It becomes, especially in the case of football, an even bigger drag on the athletic department.
                        Last edited by claw; 06-02-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

The Norse have out-done us

DECORAH — Luther College announced Wednesday it is replacing the natural grass on its football field at Carlson Stadium with …

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                            1.7 million... at some point, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it. We borderline needed that new turf, I don't think we would need to replace a natural grass field with blue turf. Especially when that does jack for recruiting, because there is no recruiting.

Comment

If somebody came to us and said I'd like to give you $1.7M toward a hanging board in the McLeod Center and new ribbon boards, you don't think we'd say yes?

Do we need new boards? Nope. If someone offered the cash would we do it? Undoubtedly.

Same deal at Luther. Somebody gave them the cash and they got a shiny new thing.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Not a fan of the blue turf idea. Maybe if they alternate a darker and lighter blue with a very large logo in the middle.

But even then...I think it's a mistake. Just looks like you're trying too hard.

I'd rather see a green field with alternating shades every 5 like we did and do something really innovative with the logo at mid field and perhaps the end zones.

I believe u can look down on Luther's field from the hill on campus side so a large mid field would be visible from there.
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X