WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to leave

Great article about the significant wins of MACtion:

College Football Twitter, as the sport's fans have so eloquently been dubbed, doesn't agree on much. Is there an SEC bias? Is Florida State really overrated? Should college athletes be paid? You're unlikely to find many uniting factors. Except next Wednesday, late into the evening, when all of College Football [...]

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
      What do you think about MACtion? Are you will to have lots of Tuesday and Thursday night football games?
      Downside is Tuesday night games.

Possible upside (really, more making lemonade) is that it's about as good a schedule as is possible to get a Kurt Warner Hall of Fame induction ceremony during FB season. Still probably other hurdles to overcome on that issue though.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
        Well, currently I think those 2 schools would be the only ones bringing any NCAA shares into the Valley anyways. A 14-way-split of something is better than a 10-way split of nothing.
        So we think the redbirds will start making the Tournament and winning games if they leave the MVC and go to the MAC?
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
          From what I recall, most teams end up with 2 weeknight games per season. Vast majority still happen on Saturday. The boost we'd get (at least over the next few years) from the TV deal would easily outweight the loss of revenue/attendance at those weeknight games.

I checked a few schools and it is even more weekday games that I had thought:

Buffalo has one Tuesday, two Thursday, and one Friday game this year.

Akron has three Tuesday games in a row in November.

Toledo has two Wednesday, two Thursday, and one Friday (with no Saturday games in November).

Comment

I just doubt the MAC would want us unless they get poached and need a replacement. I dont see incentive for them to go to 14 for two FCS programs in the middle of Illinois and Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
              I checked a few schools and it is even more weekday games that I had thought:

Buffalo has one Tuesday, two Thursday, and one Friday game this year.

Akron has three Tuesday games in a row in November.

Toledo has two Wednesday, two Thursday, and one Friday (with no Saturday games in November).
              Part of me wonders if our attendance would really change that much. Not like we sell out now.
              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Good luck, guys. The writing was on the wall the minute Loyola was even considered, much less accepted. Hope you find someplace worthwhile for your generally consistently quality programs, whether it be in a resurgent MVC, or elsewhere.

Comment

How long is the MAC contract with ESPN? I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they'll keep up the midweek games once that contract is up. Unless another contact comes along, but the odds of ESPN throwing them a bunch of money is slim imo.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                    How long is the MAC contract with ESPN? I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they'll keep up the midweek games once that contract is up. Unless another contact comes along, but the odds of ESPN throwing them a bunch of money is slim imo.

(10 chara)

Comment

Seems like the mid-week games are doing pretty well for ESPN. I know I can't get enough of college football during the season.

Comment

A) We have no where to go
                        B) I didn't like the Loyola addition but they have been pretty good and seem to be trending up (purely from a basketball quality perspective). The reason to dislike them is no one will ever care
                        c) I don't get the hate on the Valpo addition. After Wichita left I thought it had to be Valpo or Belmont, then got sold on Murray St. We added 1 of those 3.
                        d) Belmont isn't coming
                        e)11 is a truly awful number for a mid major conference (or any really)
                        f) If you go 12, who is the 12th? And you are splitting revenue more ways. Do we get more bids with 12? IDK
                        g) We have no where to go

To summarize, I understand the hate on the Loyola add. I don't understand the hate on this one. To me they added one of the 3 schools they had to and one that has a strong basketball tradition. Are they a perfect replacement? No but I am not sure what else was reasonable.

Comment

Nope, yep, concurred. The Missouri Valley clearly doesn't even care about considering improving itself. And with power somehow shifting to the private schools, they clearly don't care about their now only relevant team (or "either," if you want to count ISUr).

Give me the MAC. We've already got an in because of wrestling, we'd be top three basketball team, immidiately, and we'd probably be a bowl qualifier.

We'd have the second best basketball attendence (third if ISUr rolls with us), and middle pack football attendence. Oh, and we get way more money. For one thing, a chunck of TV revenue. Compared to, you know, the league paying to be on TV.

I ragged on WSU fans for wanting out. I am formally apologizing to any and all WSU fans I've made fun of for this specific reason.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                            I ragged on WSU fans for wanting out. I am formally apologizing to any and all WSU fans I've made fun of for this specific reason.
                            I agree. I used to think some WSU fans were just elitist douchebags for the incessant talk of getting out. Now I realize they were kinda just douchebags

I kid...except for you Baller or whichever name you go by now.

Comment

When news first broke that the Shox were gone, everyone said they'd be happy with Valpo.

I'm disappointed on missing out on Murray but this is hardly the end of the world. Adding Valpo is adding a proven program that should help right away. Loyola was a terrible short term add but long term they are shaping up. There is still alot of potential in the valley that the MAC doesn't have

David Harris was on OPR today and said the continued expansion committee is no gimmick, and alot of presidents expressed interest in keeping the option open for adding more teams. I'm not ready to go doomsday yet.

(Also a bit sickened by some of you sounding like shocker fans today)

Comment

It's perfectly logical for people to express interest in joining the MAC. With everything included ( mainly football ) it's a better conference for us. Having said that I couldn't be anymore confused by what people were expecting or thinking. Seems like a lot of people are being short sided and not thinking about this logically. People are looking at the end product. Two teams that became major mid-major powers, that surly didn't join this conference at that level. So people here think we should lose a program like them and bring in someone who's already a force at the mid-major level? Maybe people think the MVC is better than it is but we're an average conference. When you're average you don't get proven big time mid-major to join or we wouldn't have lost those schools to begin with. Valpo is a decent program who's had recent success in men's basketball. From the sounds of it Murray could be added in the next year or two and that football made it difficult to happen this year. so maybe people should step back from the ledge. That's not to say we shouldn't try and get out, it's just not sky is falling kind of situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X