WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Rhoads' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paul Rhodes' hot seat is apparently a dumpster on fire

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
    Wasn't Rhodes a genius a mere two or three seasons ago? Has he gotten worse, or is something else going on in Amesville?
    You really only do reply to other posters regarding this topic. Give it a rest. You have your point of view and other posters have their own. No need to hash it out on every single thread. Just it let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
      He refused to adapt to make his team better
      Ah, yes, but it worked to genius proportions 2-3 years ago. Players had no impact on any of this?

Comment

Bombed just dropped that Rhodes was fired. ALL OF ISU'S PROBLEMS ARE NOW IMMEDIATELY SOLVED!

Comment

Glad to hear Rhodes will coach the last game of the year

Comment

Maybe not the classiest twit, but Mangino did nail it.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
              Yes, Mangino is a classless twit. And Iowa State has a better offense without him than it did with him in control. Mangino is a very small man in a ginormous, fat body.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                He might have nailed it, but I wonder if he realizes how much better ISU's offense was the minute he left..

Comment

I'm curious what type of expectations ISU fans have. What's your the definition of an acceptable season?

If my team was historically one of the worst (if not the worst) BCS programs in the entire country, I would probably be happy with a bowl birth every 5 years and a bowl win every 10. Do ISU fans legitimately expect their team to have a winning season every year and get frequent bowl invites?

And no, I'm not trolling here. I just see the constant coaching carrousel in Ames and wonder if maybe the common denominator isn't what ISU fans think it is.
                  Originally posted by TH1974
                  This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    I'm curious what type of expectations ISU fans have. What's your the definition of an acceptable season?

If my team was historically one of the worst (if not the worst) BCS programs in the entire country, I would probably be happy with a bowl birth every 5 years and a bowl win every 10. Do ISU fans legitimately expect their team to have a winning season every year and get frequent bowl invites?

And no, I'm not trolling here. I just see the constant coaching carrousel in Ames and wonder if maybe the common denominator isn't what ISU fans think it is.
                    There are 128 FBS teams and 78 spots. They should be able to make a bowl at least 1/3 years. It's almost to the point of 2/3 of FBS teams making it and there was talk of possibly starting to take 5-7 record teams to fill spots. It's WAY easier to make a bowl these days and Rhoads couldn't get the job done. The Big 12 isn't as good as a lot of people think. He had at least 3 games where better coaching could have won this year including the choke job yesterday. His early success was probably mostly due to Chizik's recruits.

Oh, FYI, I'm NOT an ISU fan by any stretch.....

Comment

is it really a coaching carousel?
                      McCarney was head coach for 12 years there.
                      Chizik was there only 2 seasons, but he wasn't fired, he just took another job (and I don't think anyone is going to turn down the Auburn job to stay at Iowa State).
                      This was Rhoades' 7th season there.

Comment

Most fans are expecting 6 wins/season. Which could have been hit this season, even with one of the toughest schedules in the nation.
                        Horrible coaching decisions cost ISU the Toledo, Okie St, and KSU games. Win those three games and ISU is sitting at 6 wins. Win two of them and they are playing for 6 wins next weekend at WVU.

And if you're happy with a bowl birth every 5 years and a bowl win every decade, then I'm glad you aren't ISU's AD. Even Rhoads made it to 3 bowls in 7 years with a win, and that got him fired. ISU has the facilities, fan support, and money to win 6-7 games/year. It just depends how much they are willing to spend.

Comment

As is too often the case with coaching firings that are supposed to instantly change everything, I can't help but wonder how much of this was a premature temper tantrum because of one, horribly lost game.

That's likely what this is all about.

Comment

Have to admit, I thought Rhodes would be the man to move them up. Not local and I really don't pay much attention, but if it can be done at KSU, Baylor, and TCU it is possible at ISU. Not saying they'll be league contenders on a regular basis, but six or seven wins should be realistic. Their recent upgrades should help but there are a lot of openings out there, likely have to take a chance on an up and comer.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                              As is too often the case with coaching firings that are supposed to instantly change everything, I can't help but wonder how much of this was a premature temper tantrum because of one, horribly lost game.

That's likely what this is all about.
                              Actually 3, and that was this season alone.
                              Let's not forget that he only won 5 games total in the previous 2 seasons.
                              JP and the fanbase gave Rhoads as much time as possible to get the job done. Everybody really wanted him to succeed at ISU. This was definitely not a rash decision based on 1 game.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther/Statesman View Post
                                Have to admit, I thought Rhodes would be the man to move them up. Not local and I really don't pay much attention, but if it can be done at KSU, Baylor, and TCU it is possible at ISU. Not saying they'll be league contenders on a regular basis, but six or seven wins should be realistic. Their recent upgrades should help but there are a lot of openings out there, likely have to take a chance on an up and comer.
                                The Cyclones will continue to struggle at recruiting. No one wants to freeze in Ames when Texas will do. ISU has made the facility upgrades to have six win seasons. Agreed, probably will have to take a chance on a young offensive coordinator.

Comment

Working...
                                X