WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2017 Panther Basketball Recruit List

Originally posted by claw View Post
    Why? What's wrong with depth? He's a 6'3 or 6'4 athleticn2 guard. Yeah. Sucks to have those.
    I know nothing about the kid. I do however know that we have one scholarship available and we have been pushing hard for Pickford. Now suddenly we have two new scholarship offers and the latest one is being described as "good depth". Does that mean Pickford can't still sign? I suppose not. Does it mean that we are confident about Pickford, probably not.
    Never said I'm asking for a refund for my season tickets. It simply means that while I'm bored in the off-season watching a recruiting forum, I prefer terms like "program changing, immediate contributor" to "well, he could be a good bench player and give us some depth." Sorry to have offended.
    "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
      Every school misses on guys. The #1 2017 recruit was going to go to Washington, then switch to Mizzou. You think blue bloods didn't want him? The Oturo kid in Minnesota who we offered a long time ago skipped Kansas and is going to Minnesota. And I don't follow recruiting much outside of UNI. There are examples everywhere, it's not just a UNI thing. The only real difference is with our budget, missing out on a guy who you've invested a lot of time recruiting hurts more.
      This is true. No one guy is so important that his signing makes or breaks a program. If it does, it means said program has sub par talent to begin with.

I agree with those who have been less than blown away with some of our recruiting since the Sweet 16, but it hasn't been so dire that one relatively unheralded guy is going to suddenly yank us 10 steps forward. Pickford sounds like a good get for us, but not worth losing sleep if it doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        Every school misses on guys. The #1 2017 recruit was going to go to Washington, then switch to Mizzou. You think blue bloods didn't want him? The Oturo kid in Minnesota who we offered a long time ago skipped Kansas and is going to Minnesota. And I don't follow recruiting much outside of UNI. There are examples everywhere, it's not just a UNI thing. The only real difference is with our budget, missing out on a guy who you've invested a lot of time recruiting hurts more.
        I think that's the most important part. If you're Kansas, and you do the same thing to Oturo that we did with Pickford, but miss out on him, you can still offer up some other random 4-star and have a decent shot at getting him, or a 3-star and automatically get him (because no 3-star would turn down Kansas). With us, though, without the name pull, we actually have to spend the time and effort to go after a guy, and that costs money. We go all in on one guy, because darn it we believe in him, and there's not a ton of competition so we want to seal the deal, but he chooses not to go? There goes a couple hundred dollars (low estimate, it's probably actually a few thousand dollars over the last two months). Those hundreds (or thousands) of dollars are a drop in the bucket to a Kansas. For us, it was probably a good quarter of our recruiting budget.

Of course, it's not a given that Pickford doesn't accept, he still doesn't have a better offer than us at the moment. Bell isn't going to accept right away, he's still out taking visits to schools as of 9 hours ago. Hell, this could all be 4d Jenga from Jacobson, trying to get Pickford to take up the offer sooner than he otherwise would.

Comment

I do kind of wonder if this is Coach trying to get Pickford to pick us sooner rather than later, put a little pressure on him by saying the offer is still there for you, but now you have to make the choice before a couple of others.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
            I do kind of wonder if this is Coach trying to get Pickford to pick us sooner rather than later, put a little pressure on him by saying the offer is still there for you, but now you have to make the choice before a couple of others.
            Seems likely.

Also, does anyone know exactly what our total recruiting budget is? Someone above mentioned that "hundreds" would put a dent in it. It can't be that low, and if it is, we have no business playing D1 basketball. I know it's not a huge number compared to other peer programs, but "hundreds" wouldn't even begin to cover anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
              Seems likely.

Also, does anyone know exactly what our total recruiting budget is? Someone above mentioned that "hundreds" would put a dent in it. It can't be that low, and if it is, we have no business playing D1 basketball. I know it's not a huge number compared to other peer programs, but "hundreds" wouldn't even begin to cover anything.
              Is this a serious question? Our coach gets paid an annual salary near $1 million, and you think our recruiting budget is "hundreds of dollars"?
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                Is this a serious question? Our coach gets paid an annual salary near $1 million, and you think our recruiting budget is "hundreds of dollars"?
                I think he's refering to my comment, saying that missing out on Pickford would hurt us, because we essentially threw hundreds, closer to thousands, of dollars away. I wasn't trying to say that Jacobson only gets two grand for recruiting, rather that a school like Kansas has the resources to go all out for a recruit, miss him, and be perfectly fine, while we... don't.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                  I think he's refering to my comment, saying that missing out on Pickford would hurt us, because we essentially threw hundreds, closer to thousands, of dollars away. I wasn't trying to say that Jacobson only gets two grand for recruiting, rather that a school like Kansas has the resources to go all out for a recruit, miss him, and be perfectly fine, while we... don't.
                  Let's be honest here...we're talking about a couple hour drive up to MN, not a private jet across the country. I would assume the coach's are going up and coming home the same day and not spending money on hotel stays as well. They may also be attending games when Pickford is playing a team with a kid UNI is looking at for future years. I want to see Pickford here just as much as everyone else does, but to say the recruiting budget will be blown up and UNI can't handle missing a kid that they have heavily recruited is a bit much. Especially when that kid is a car ride away.

Comment

Our MBB Budget is somewhere around 3,000,000 total, so I would guess that our recruiting budget would have to be somewhere around 300k, but that is a complete guess.

Comment

Our MBB Budget is somewhere around 3,000,000 total, so I would guess that our recruiting budget would have to be somewhere around 300k, but that is a complete guess.
                      If this site is accurate, UNI's recruiting budget for all Mens teams combined is $180k.

"I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

$180K for all teams sounds a lot closer than $300K for basketball alone.
                        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                          Let's be honest here...we're talking about a couple hour drive up to MN, not a private jet across the country. I would assume the coach's are going up and coming home the same day and not spending money on hotel stays as well. They may also be attending games when Pickford is playing a team with a kid UNI is looking at for future years. I want to see Pickford here just as much as everyone else does, but to say the recruiting budget will be blown up and UNI can't handle missing a kid that they have heavily recruited is a bit much. Especially when that kid is a car ride away.

When you've only got 180k to share with all your sports (depending on how reliable that site is), then yeah, even $1,000 dollars is significant, which I fully believe they are capable of spending $1,000 over the course of at least five trips.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                            No news. But two offers in two days might suggest we aren't confident. We did put the full count press on him.

Recruiting is weird. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the coaches office when they discuss it.
                            Have there been two recent offers or one? I've seen the JUCO Bell was offered, but looks like we were just visiting Christon from TX but no offer yet? I'm basing only from what I've read on here.

Sorry guys, just trying to keep up.

Comment

This is where my head went when seeing the recent recruit news.

I don't think we've given up on TP...but Jake's asking him to make a decision...And hedging his bet at the same time.

We can't wait til the last minute and get left at the altar if a P5 offer shows up.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                                Have there been two recent offers or one? I've seen the JUCO Bell was offered, but looks like we were just visiting Christon from TX but no offer yet? I'm basing only from what I've read on here.

Sorry guys, just trying to keep up.
                                I think you're right.

Comment

Working...
                                X