WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Fabric

Ok...so my girlfriend wanted to make a UNI fleece blanket for tailgating season...she searched and searched for fabric that had the UNI emblem on it and she was told by several stores that UNI does not give out licensing. The thing that really pisses me off is when she told me that most of the stores had Iowa and Iowa State fabric...Anybody got any ideas or comments?
    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

my ex-fiance made me a UNI Fleece blanket. Its hella nice. SHe got just normal gold and purple...put them together....(the yellow had Purple paws on them-found at wally world) and just sketched and cut out yellow fabric in the shape of the emblem. Cost $15 max. Its really warm and over 6 feet long.
    Career (3 sport) Coaching Record: 50-3
    the Future coach of the Depaul Blue Demons

Comment

I've gone to a lot of places and asked why they don't have this or that in UNI stuff when there's plenty of ISU and Iowa stuff and they tell me the same thing that UNI likes to limit who they license too, I guess they're really selective.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

The fabric store on University Ave in Waterloo has the purple and gold fleece AND they have a gold fleece with purple paws on them. Looks pretty good.

Comment

Can anyone address the liscensing issue here? I was at a store in Valley Junction in West Des Moines that has all Iowa made stuff in it...very cool if you get the chance...and they had a ton of Iowa and ISU stuff, so I stated, "I'm a UNI grad and I'd love to see some Panther stuff in here" and the lady behind the counter WENT OFF on me saying, "then tell your alma mater to sell to us and we'll get it in here."

Since I know nothing about liscensing I was wondering why more small specialty stores don't have UNI gear. This store is visited by many from out of state who are looking for trinkets to take home from Iowa...wouldn't it be great if a grandmother took a UNI key chain or t-shirt home to her grandson in Chicago or St. Louis instead of an Iowa or ISU gift?
          "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Originally posted by unigriff
            my ex-fiance made me a UNI Fleece blanket. Its hella nice. SHe got just normal gold and purple...put them together....(the yellow had Purple paws on them-found at wally world) and just sketched and cut out yellow fabric in the shape of the emblem. Cost $15 max. Its really warm and over 6 feet long.
            My wife made a blanket in a very similar way and it is awesome.

Comment

Someday soon we're going to take all of our old UNI t-shirts from college and make a 't-shirt quilt' that should be pretty sweet. I've kept many of my UNI basketball camp t-shirts through the years and Mrs. 2317 has a lot of her shirts from athletic training. Should be fun.
              "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

I'd like to know about this liscensing issue as well. I know ISU had a similar reputation a few years ago, but I think they got the message, becasue I see a lot more ISU stuff available now.

UNI does not have this luxury, and they need to think more strategically then they do. When someone is just starting to follow the Panthers, walks into a sports store, and sees a total lack of UNI gear, they think (subliminally, often) that UNI is a "minor" team and not on the level of the other teams they see around them.

Comment

My brother works for the company that makes the jerseys for UNI, ISU, and UI and he says that the licensing for UNI and Iowa are much cheaper than ISU. Still not sure on why UNI is so selective on who it allows to license there stuff
                  "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Does anyone know the name of the fabric store on University Ave that has the fabric with paws on it?

Comment

Originally posted by sauserj
                      Does anyone know the name of the fabric store on University Ave that has the fabric with paws on it?
                      It's called Hancock Fabrics.

2830 University Avenue
                      Waterloo, IA 50701
                      Tel: 319-234-1322

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker
                        I'd like to know about this liscensing issue as well. I know ISU had a similar reputation a few years ago, but I think they got the message, becasue I see a lot more ISU stuff available now.

UNI does not have this luxury, and they need to think more strategically then they do. When someone is just starting to follow the Panthers, walks into a sports store, and sees a total lack of UNI gear, they think (subliminally, often) that UNI is a "minor" team and not on the level of the other teams they see around them.
                        I agree! I've been itching to make a fleece blanket for ages now, but I don't want to make one and then UNI licenses their logo for some. I understand the need to be selective, but it's like you said Newsy, if people don't see the stuff, we look minor.

I wonder if there's anything that can be done...

Comment

Someone talk to Leon Costello in the marketing department maybe he can give us an answer why UNI is so selective on their marketing. I too had a lady an Younkers go off about how they tried to get UNI stuff but they couldn't get the rights to or something like that so it seems that a lot of places would sell more UNI stuff if they could? maybe I'm way off but I'm starting to hear more and more from places I ask (I usually always ask if they don't have UNI stuff) that they tried and weren't able. I mean I'd love to have a Panthers Grill Tool Set but I guess I'll have to keep on dreaming
                          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Maybe we all need to find an e-mail address or two on the UNI site and keep writing them to suggest/complain/request/demand
                            Someone know which 2 or 3 we should pick and start sending messages to?

Comment

The people who make those kind of decisions read this board. I wouldn't hit them up on an email campaign. Let's just wait a little bit and see about these topics. I'll try to find out some info.
                              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                              X