WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's campus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You set a different standard the I, claw. I'm not saying you'd only see UNI stuff on campus, that's not realistic.

We've known a world where UNI kids are 2nd class citizens in this state, and where kids don't buy UNI stuff, and certainly don't wear it home, becasue they feel like it's uncool.

That's changing. Soon, if this keeps up, UNI kids will feel not only like they can hoist their head high, but won't even know that things were ever any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
      That's changing. Soon, if this keeps up, UNI kids will feel not only like they can hoist their head high, but won't even know that things were ever any other way.
      The key comment is right there. It takes time to change attitudes, and it takes time for those attitudes to trickle down to become a majority opinion. After some "time" (however long it may be), the only people who will know what it felt like are those who experienced it. Kids' minds are short term when it comes to history. Kids who were teens in the mid to late 80's probably thought MTV had been around for decades (just an example).

The youth in middle school today have probably never known UNI to be anything other than what they have experienced with NCAA Tournaments and the National Championship run. On top of that, in 4-5 years, those things known about UNI from their past are hopefully going to be further engrained in their minds as UNI keeps playing in the post season in football, playing in the NCAA's in basketball, seeing packed McLeod Centers, and seeing the Panthers on local, regional, and national television. That time is not far off. The days when Iowa was the only brand on television is about 4-5 years from being forgotten by the youth of today.
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

AHHH....okay now i understand where you were going with your post newsy.
        Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

Walking through the heart of campus between the 10 am and 11 am classes today, I counted college shirts....the results were 65 UNI, 2 Iowa, 1 Iowa State, 1 Michigan, and 1 Nebraska. I can't imagine you would've seen anywhere near these results even 2 years ago. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw View Post
            Walking through the heart of campus between the 10 am and 11 am classes today, I counted college shirts....the results were 65 UNI, 2 Iowa, 1 Iowa State, 1 Michigan, and 1 Nebraska. I can't imagine you would've seen anywhere near these results even 2 years ago. Just thought I'd share.
            HA! It wouldn't have been even close. I remember just a few years ago, where it seemed the only "UNI" shirt most people had was the obligatory "HS Graduation Gift" variety.

I picked my finacee up from class today, and I saw one Iowa shirt, and he actually stood out. Whoda thunk it?

Comment

President Allen's letter to the students. Interesting pieces of info.

"This is a great university with a great story to tell. We expect this year’s total enrollment to be about the same as last year—above 12,000. Our applications for admission to UNI have increased and every residence hall room is occupied."

Very good to see that all residence hall rooms are occupied...that has been an issue in the past. Also, applications are up...something that 2317 predicted after last year's succesful basketball and football campaigns. I would like to get an actual number to compare enrollment and applications received over the past 3 years. Pantherwoman, any chance you could pass those on?
              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

If every residence hall is occupied (does that include all 12 floors of both Bender and Dancer?) that should mean more revenue for UNI than in years past when rooms went unoccupied for a couple of years. Good to see and hopefully it's a trend that will continue.
                "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Also...I'd love to see numbers on out-of-state students...a group that I think can really add to the weekend campus atmosphere and put a spark into the local economy by sticking around more on the weekends (more than the kids that drive back to their local high school games every Friday and come back Sunday night or Monday morning). More kids that are 'captive audiences' in Cedar Falls means more kids attending events on campus and in Cedar Falls.

Comment

One note, not to be a 'downer.' Remember, they have made some major changes in the dorms, and I believe Shull Hall are all single rooms (ie, the census of that hall has dropped, even if full, by about half.) So, 'full' doesn't mean today what it meant a few years ago.

I agree, UNI REALLY needs to amp up recruitment of out-of-state students. They pay more, and they stick around more. This is the #2 regional public University in the midwest, and it has been for some time. We can sell that.

Comment

Allen or Hawkeye CC students can also stay in the dorms now.

Comment

I decided not to start a new thread on this, rather add it to one where the UNI vs Iowa/ISU matrix on campus has alread been discussed.

Note to the Northern Iowan...this type of article is not acceptable. We want people to be PRO UNI, and that doesn't start with being anti-something else. We've talked about this before, but you don't win people's hearts and minds by acting like this.

If I grew up a Hawkeye fan in small-town Iowa, get to UNI, get all jazzed up to support my new school, and the first thing in the school paper I see is this kind of swill, I'm turned off. People here, it seems, are jerks.

I know the NI gets people with IQ's slightly higher then a raddish to write there, but these people need to understand they are neither helping their cause nor looking good with this sort of thing.

http://fp.uni.edu/northia/article2.a...4968&SECTION=4

Comment

I decided not to start a new thread on this, rather add it to one where the UNI vs Iowa/ISU matrix on campus has alread been discussed.

Note to the Northern Iowan...this type of article is not acceptable. We want people to be PRO UNI, and that doesn't start with being anti-something else. We've talked about this before, but you don't win people's hearts and minds by acting like this.

If I grew up a Hawkeye fan in small-town Iowa, get to UNI, get all jazzed up to support my new school, and the first thing in the school paper I see is this kind of swill, I'm turned off. People here, it seems, are jerks.

I know the NI gets people with IQ's slightly higher then a raddish to write there, but these people need to understand they are neither helping their cause nor looking good with this sort of thing.

This really pisses me off. No way we should give them any space in our paper. Ever. Except when we are beating them.
                          Whats the email of the publisher or whatever.

Comment

The email address is [email protected]...I'm going to compose them a letter later today, to this address, cc'd to the writer and Editor.

Comment

How about a Top Ten list of reasons to follow the Panthers this season instead of that article. He tries to redeem himself with the last paragraph...but why have an article focusing on the Hawkeyes in the first place? The NI Sports Section should focus on ALL THINGS PANTHERS first...and if there's room for scores...put all of the other Iowa college scores in one place. It's UNI's school paper people...focus on UNI.

Here's a lesson for all those who want to be writers someday...KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

Comment

If that article is all it takes to turn someone off, then they should probably stop reading papers all together.

"IQ's slightly higher (then) a raddish"
                                TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Working...
                                X