WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB vs. SIU and UE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB vs. SIU and UE

Panthers played a very lackluster match tonight and got owned by the Salukis, which gives SIU a season sweep over UNI, and pretty much kills whatever slight hopes UNI had for an at-large bid to the NCAAs. Even Asst. Coach Mahi flat out said in the postgame radio interview that he was disappointed in the way they played.

SIU won the first 21-25, then UNI won the second 25-21. Panthers were up 24-19 in the third, but gave up 5 straight points and SIU ended up winning 25-27. Then the Salukis closed it out winning the 4th easily, 17-25.

Panthers had a ton of hitting errors (27) and service errors (9), hitting only .158, and looked lost on defense much of the time, with poor passing which limited the offense. Most of the time, UNI's attacks were quite soft and easily handled (or flying outside the court), while SIU was hitting lasers.

There was a large crowd in attendance tonight (listed at 4126, which is 2nd highest for the year behind the Iowa State match), but the crowd to me seemed quite dead and unenergetic. Cheering was subdued and everyone seemed more intent on fiddling with their phones or talking about their pets or eating ice cream rather than on the volleyball match.

Anyhow, the loss drops UNI (10-3) into 2nd place in the standings, half a game behind WSU (11-3) and a game ahead of ILS (9-4), with SIU and MSU tied for 4th at 9-5.

SIU seems to be playing well down the stretch, and could make some noise during the final weeks of the season, where as UNI continues to be quite inconsistent.

Re: VB vs. SIU and UE

I agree Jay. The gals were not focused, serving was awful and kills way off. Very disappointing....

Comment

the Panther volleyball team looked much better tonight, and were able to sweep the Purple Aces of Evansville, fairly easily: 25-12 25-11 25-16

The win moves UNI to 11-3 in the conference, and keeps them within half a game of the lead.

And after tonight's action, the Panthers have secured their spot in the conference tournament for the 29th season in a row (they've made all of the MVC tourneys and the only times they failed to reach the old Gateway Conference tournament was in 1983 and 1984. In those years, only the top 4 teams qualified, and UNI finished tied for 5th in '83 and 6th in '84).

Elsewhere, Illinois State put up a good fight in Wichita, but the Shockers won 3-1 to maintain their spot atop the standings. Indiana State almost pulled off the upset in Springfield, but MSU held on in the 5th set to win 3-2. SIU easily swept Drake in Des Moines, keeping the Bulldogs without a set victory in conference play this season. Though Drake hosts a rare Sunday match tommorrow, taking on Evansville, in what may be their best chance of the year to actually win a set in MVC play. And Bradley beat Loyola 3-1 in Chicago, which moves both teams into a tie for 6th place.

MVC standings thru 11/10/13 (w/ remaining matches)
      1. WSU 12-3 (@LU,@BU,@MSU)
      2. UNI 11-3 (@ILS,@INS, BU, LU)
      t3 SIU 10-5 (UE,ILS,INS) [currently holds tiebreaker over MSU]
      t3 MSU 10-5 (@BU,@LU,WSU)
      5. ILS 9-5 (UNI,DU,@SIU,@UE)
      t6 BU 6-8 (MSU,WSU,@UNI,@DU) [currently holds tiebreaker over LU]
      t6 LU 6-8 (WSU,MSU,@DU,@UNI)
      8. INS 4-10 (DU,UNI,@UE,@SIU)
      9. UE 4-11 (@SIU,INS,ILS)
      10. DU 0-14 (@INS,@ILS, LU, BU)
      Last edited by JayJ79; 11-10-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

So who wins the conference regular season title if we and WSU both win out?
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

Since head-to-head would be tied and it goes to power rankings after that, it looks like WSU would be the #1 seed. Their losses are vs. UNI, at SIU, at ILS. Our losses are vs. WSU, vs./at SIU
          Road W----Home W
          vs. 1st place team_____20 pts_____19 pts
          vs. 2nd place team______18________17
          vs. 3rd place team______16________15
          vs. 4th place team______14________13
          vs. 5th place team______12________11
          vs. 6th place team______10________9
          vs. 7th place team______8_________7
          vs. 8th place team______6_________5
          vs. 9th place team______4_________3
          vs. 10th place team_____2_________1
          Last edited by KL31NY; 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding chart to previous post

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
            So who wins the conference regular season title if we and WSU both win out?
            would come down to how SIU and Illinois State end up in the standings. If both UNI and WSU win out (and in just about any other realistic scenario): SIU, MSU, and ILS would be battling for 3rd, 4th, and 5th seeds.

If ILS finished in 3rd, then UNI would hold the tiebreak regardless of how MSU and SIU finished.

If MSU finished in 3rd, UNI would hold the tiebreak if ILS finished 4th over SIU, and I think WSU would get it if SIU got 4th, but my calculations only have it as a 1 pt advantage, so I could be wrong.

If SIU finished in 3rd, then WSU gets the tiebreak, for sure if ILS finishes in 5th behind MSU, but again my calcutions show just a 1 pt advantage if ILS gets 4th.

Unfortunately, Illinois State is currently half a game behind both MSU and SIU, and would have at least one more loss if UNI were to win out, plus they still have to play AT SIU after SIU swept ILS in Normal in the first weekend of conference play.

So our best bet is for UNI to win out (obviously) and hope that Missouri State can beat the Shockers in Springfield, giving UNI the outright #1.
            Last edited by JayJ79; 11-10-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

oops, I realized my "power ranking" calculations had an error in it earlier (I still had wins over WSU counting as a 1st place victory, with wins over UNI counting as 2nd place). So I edited the scenario outcomes.

Though I'm still not certain how such ties are factored in. (if two teams finish tied for first, do wins over both teams count as "first place" wins? or do you split the difference amongst the tied teams and count it as if they're both in "1.5 place"?)

In any case, I'm not sure how big of a deal the difference between the #1 and #2 seeds is. Both get a quarterfinals bye, and this year, the #3, #4, and #5 teams are going to be just as tough, so it becomes a matter of matchups and/or who is "hot" on that particular weekend.

Also, finishing up this week's MVC volleyball action, Evansville swept Drake in Des Moines, though the Bulldogs did come close to actually winning a set (led 22-20 in the third, but the Purple Aces won it 25-23).
              Last edited by JayJ79; 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X