WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Re: WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

I see both sides of the argument. It would be nice to see iowa dollars subsidize only iowa kids. But the numbers says iowa kids move away. Why not try to attract out of state students who may stay to live in iowa? This is one of my main points in support of subsidizing athletics...attracting out of state students.

Comment

Re: WCFCourier: "Money talks: how will the Iowa student change university funding"

Why would you think that out of state students would be more likely to stay in Iowa than in state students? Are you saying that young people that have never experienced living in our state are going to fall in love with Iowa more rapidly than those that have lived here all their lives? Thats not logical to me. Iowa dollars should support Iowans FIRST.

Comment

I think that Iowa and ISU are R1 institutions and they should be making every effort to attract top out of state talent to our state for school. I don't think they should be punished for doing that.

Comment

9yr, are you arguing on a UNI board that UNI doesn't deserve an increase in funding?

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
            9yr, are you arguing on a UNI board that UNI doesn't deserve an increase in funding?
            Of course he is. It's what he does.

9Yr...please serve up a few more servings of double talk and half logic for us less educated folk.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
              I think that Iowa and ISU are R1 institutions and they should be making every effort to attract top out of state talent to our state for school. I don't think they should be punished for doing that.
              No one would be "punished". Why would attracting out-of-state students be a priority in the first place, unless there is something wrong with Iowa students, which I don't believe to be he case. I understand the need for diversity, but if out-of-state students want to take advantage of our great institutions and our great state than they should pay for it, especially given the fact that these are tax supported institutions. Is your "concern" really based on the fact the UI and ISU would lose funding to UNI?

Comment

Originally posted by Schack View Post
                No one would be "punished". Why would attracting out-of-state students be a priority in the first place, unless there is something wrong with Iowa students, which I don't believe to be he case. I understand the need for diversity, but if out-of-state students want to take advantage of our great institutions and our great state than they should pay for it, especially given the fact that these are tax supported institutions. Is your "concern" really based on the fact the UI and ISU would lose funding to UNI?
                Or you could do what most state universities in the midwest do.

Charge out of state tuition but offer discounted rates (aka automatic scholarships) for high performing students from out of state who want to come to your school.

Comment

Wait wait wait.

This has not to do with Panthers vs Hawks vs clones. This is about education in the state of Iowa, and I am an Iowa citizen with degrees from UNI and Iowa.

The schools are not in some competition with each other. They are complimenting each other to fulfill a variety of critical goals for OUR STATE.

On top of this, I wasn't even arguing one side over the other. Of course, God forbid that someone would actually read my ****ing post where I side I CAN SEE IT BOTH SIDES OF ARGUMENT.

It's ****ing comical how I can't even make a comment without ignorant *******s ruining a thread. Try thinking logically for once. For example, if you think only Iowa kids should benefit from taxpayer dollars then you better prepare yourself to tell Troy Dannen that his coaches can only recruit from the state of Iowa.

Comment

Wait wait wait. It's ****ing comical how I can't even make a comment without ignorant *******s ruining a thread. Try thinking logically for once. For example, if you think only Iowa kids should benefit from taxpayer dollars then you better prepare yourself to tell Troy Dannen that his coaches can only recruit from the state of Iowa.
                    Well that was a long walk you just took.

The issue at debate here is...should funding to the three universities be allocated based on the number of Iowa students served by each school.

You turned that into a threat that UNI athletics can no longer recruit out of state kids because $1 of tax money might be spent on them.

No one participating in this debate with the regents proposed anything nearly that extreme.

Comment

I was responding to the poster that said Iowa tax dollars should support Iowans, which I don't argue with. But applying that premise directly to this situation is not that clear cut, so I presented a similarly absurd example of an overly simplistic point of view.

Comment

Out of state students are already covering their "cost of education" nut with the increased tuition they pay. So why subsidize with Iowa tax payer dollars something that doesn't need subsidization? That just seems more like a money slush fund than a subsidization.

Comment

Fwiw, I've talked to Dave about this extensively and I do mostly agree with him. However I think there is a legitimate argument for the other side. I mean uni is trying to recruit out of state students, we just haven't been successful. So it's a little disingenuous to say that uni is somehow earning this by serving more Iowa kids when in fact we are trying to reduce that number.

Comment

Fwiw, I've talked to Dave about this extensively and I do mostly agree with him. However I think there is a legitimate argument for the other side. I mean uni is trying to recruit out of state students, we just haven't been successful. So it's a little disingenuous to say that uni is somehow earning this by serving more Iowa kids when in fact we are trying to reduce that number.
                            I don't think that it is being disingenuous that UNI and lawmakers want to use in-state tax dollars and make the percentages even based on in-state students. Increasing out of state enrollment is a separate argument that will in and of itself improve UNI's bottom line, so I would hope they are working on this as well.

Comment

That's fine, but the fact is that uni wants to formula changed because it favors them RIGHT NOW. will it always?

I just don't want to see a SUI-CF setup in the future, and I sure as hell know that you guys don't either.

Comment

Working...
                              X