WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Presidential Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Presidential Search

Looks like things are moving quickly and we may have a new president named next week. Has anybody been going to the public interviews? Any insights other than what is written in the newspapers?

They refer to Wohlpart as the internal candidate, but he only came in 2015. How has he be received as an interim president? He seems like he has been rather active in leadership as an interim.

Re: UNI Presidential Search

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
    Looks like things are moving quickly and we may have a new president named next week. Has anybody been going to the public interviews? Any insights other than what is written in the newspapers?

They refer to Wohlpart as the internal candidate, but he only came in 2015. How has he be received as an interim president? He seems like he has been rather active in leadership as an interim.
    I'm hoping he's selected. Very out-going, approachable, at many athletic events, both sides of Hudson speak highly of him...

Comment

It would be interesting to know more about the former Temple president's interaction with what sounded like activist trustees, particularly in light of our regents. It is tough being the smaller school in a regent system.

Comment

Here is an article with more info about the former Temple president. Seems that cancelling some sports may have had something to do with it, among many others. University presidents and ADs always seem to pay the price for cancelling sports. Ironically, Temple appointed as interim provost the same person that he was trying to hire for that position.

The impending dismissal of Temple University president Neil D. Theobald had its roots in a growing conflict with members of the board of trustees who faulted him for failing to consult them on key issues and mishandling others, according to people familiar with the board's decision-making.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
          Here is an article with more info about the former Temple president. Seems that cancelling some sports may have had something to do with it, among many others. University presidents and ADs always seem to pay the price for cancelling sports. Ironically, Temple appointed as interim provost the same person that he was trying to hire for that position.

http://www.philly.com/philly/educati...urces_say.html
          He ended sports to get inline with peer institutions in the AAC. Their spending, and number of sports, was way out of line with the AAC and peer institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
            I'm hoping he's selected. Very out-going, approachable, at many athletic events, both sides of Hudson speak highly of him...
            This is my hope too. He's very warm and approachable, supports athletics, and I've never heard anything negative about him.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

How long do university presidents typically stay at one school, especially at smaller institutions like UNI? I know the Regents are responsible for extending the contracts, but just curious if most presidents leap around frequently for more pay and/or prestige.

The third candidate Mark Nook looks to have a busy resume with three different schools since 2007. Don't know if that broad experience will be looked on favorably or if the recent moves will have the Regents and staff wondering if UNI will have to have another search in 3 years (or less).

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                How long do university presidents typically stay at one school, especially at smaller institutions like UNI? I know the Regents are responsible for extending the contracts, but just curious if most presidents leap around frequently for more pay and/or prestige.

The third candidate Mark Nook looks to have a busy resume with three different schools since 2007. Don't know if that broad experience will be looked on favorably or if the recent moves will have the Regents and staff wondering if UNI will have to have another search in 3 years (or less).

For comparison purposes, here are the past presidents of Northern Illinois:
                Richard J. Nelson, 1971-1978
                William R. Monat, 1978-1984
                Clyde Wingfield, 1985-1986
                John E. La Tourette, 1986-2000
                John G. Peters, 2000-2013

Illinois State:
                Samuel E. Braden, 1967-70
                David K. Berlo, 1971-73
                Gene A. Budig, 1973-77
                Lloyd Watkins, 1977-88
                Thomas Wallace, 1988-95
                David A. Strand, 1995-99
                Victor John Boschini, Jr. 1999-2003
                C. Alvin Bowman, 2004-2013

Two more than 10 years!

Comment

These are UNI's past presidents:

James Cleland Gilchrist: 1876-1886
                  Homer Horatio Seerley: 1886-1928
                  Orval Ray Latham: 1928-1940
                  Malcolm Poyer Price: 1940-1950
                  James William Maucker: 1951-1970
                  John Joseph Kamerick: 1970-1983
                  Constantine William Curris: 1983-1995
                  Robert D. Koob: 1995-2006
                  Benjamin Allen: 2006-2013
                  William Ruud: 2013-2016
                  Jim Wohlpart (interim): 2016-Present

Outside of Ruud, it looks like UNI prefers a longer serving president, and maybe Ruud would have stayed longer if not for whatever the reasons were with the Regents.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                    These are UNI's past presidents:

James Cleland Gilchrist: 1876-1886
                    Homer Horatio Seerley: 1886-1928
                    Orval Ray Latham: 1928-1940
                    Malcolm Poyer Price: 1940-1950
                    James William Maucker: 1951-1970
                    John Joseph Kamerick: 1970-1983
                    Constantine William Curris: 1983-1995
                    Robert D. Koob: 1995-2006
                    Benjamin Allen: 2006-2013
                    William Ruud: 2013-2016
                    Jim Wohlpart (interim): 2016-Present

Outside of Ruud, it looks like UNI prefers a longer serving president, and maybe Ruud would have stayed longer if not for whatever the reasons were with the Regents.
                    Few schools may boast a Homer, an Orval and a Constantine among past presidents.
                    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Any comments on the third candidate. All I know is what I read in the DM Register this morning. The article really focused on his comments, experience, and understanding of the unique type of institution UNI is.

I wish all of the candidate would talk more about how they envision leading UNI in the midst of a regent system that has lots of competition among schools and sometimes a disadvantage for UNI. The possibility that Ruud was hamstrung by the regents in really fighting for the position of UNI in the state was one of the things that really bugged me about the reports of him leaving.

Comment

My gut tells me it's between the first two, and it isn't close.

Why? I have no idea. Just a feeling.

Comment

I believe all the candidates brought unique strengths:

Theobald is an excellent fundraiser with experience at larger institutions; he'll help UNI take that important next step from regional to national. I'm always a fan of someone wit his kind of experience because it means he knows how to keep his cool in the face of chaos, crisis and threats.

Wohlpart is extremely likeable, sincere and has done a great job in working with students, and re-establishing a community where people value one another. His weakness is executive leadership. That's something he can learn, though . . . yes?

Nook understands Universities in the regional comprehensive category; has fundraising experience (let's don't kid ourselves about the importance of looking for funds outside of that we get from tuition and the state), and he's wicked smart and insightful.

Comment

Originally posted by MsKitka View Post
                            I believe all the candidates brought unique strengths:

Theobald is an excellent fundraiser with experience at larger institutions; he'll help UNI take that important next step from regional to national. I'm always a fan of someone wit his kind of experience because it means he knows how to keep his cool in the face of chaos, crisis and threats.

Wohlpart is extremely likeable, sincere and has done a great job in working with students, and re-establishing a community where people value one another. His weakness is executive leadership. That's something he can learn, though . . . yes?

Nook understands Universities in the regional comprehensive category; has fundraising experience (let's don't kid ourselves about the importance of looking for funds outside of that we get from tuition and the state), and he's wicked smart and insightful.
                            Thanks for your thoughts. Looking forward to hearing what happens when the regents meet.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
                              My gut tells me it's between the first two, and it isn't close.

Why? I have no idea. Just a feeling.
                              Okay....so it's between Theobald and Wohlpart....but it's not close. In your mind, who's got the edge??

Comment

Working...
                              X