WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Turf

Farley's opportunity to be OC and Head Coach...since you know he controls the OC anyway. saving the money on the OC...how do you think we can afford a new turf?!
    (217): Just watched a UNI fan at the bar lick the tears off of a KU fans face.. See what march madness does to people

Comment

Glad to hear about the new turf. The old one was terrible. The first time I walked on it, I noticed that the back line of one endzone wasn't straight and bent several inches out. Maybe it was a conspiracy to give our WRs an advantage, but I saw the gap in a seam and it was just a bad turf.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
        Glad to hear about the new turf. The old one was terrible. The first time I walked on it, I noticed that the back line of one endzone wasn't straight and bent several inches out. Maybe it was a conspiracy to give our WRs an advantage, but I saw the gap in a seam and it was just a bad turf.
        You can thank our old AD for not treating the turf like the company told him too. Rather than getting the proper machines to roll it, they wanted to use the machines we used for the astroturf. Turns out, the new stuff is infinitely heavier and would ruin the machines. So, against orders of the turf company Dannen had the turf cut. It caused massive gaps and alignment issues all over the field. A great example is a photo taken of this years incoming freshman class at UNI. It was a neat over head shot of them spelling UNI at midfield. I'll see if I can't find that photo back and post it for you to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

If I recall, that company was one of the smaller vendors in the industry, whose experience was mostly if not entirely permanent outdoor soccer fields. We went with them because they were willing to try to make their product work for our remove-ability needs. I think we'd looked at the official FieldTurf, but were told their product could not be adapted to our situation.

Comment

Here's the overhead photo I was talking about - well, one of them. This one doesn't have the students, which actually makes it easier to see the alignment issues

That theme was all over the field. Add in massive gaps at the seems and that turf has been a disaster from the day it was installed in 2009

Comment

MondoTurf.

Quick internet search says they specialize in fields for outdoor youth sports.

Another one of those cases where you don't go with the absolute cheapest thing you can find. I hope we're going with trays rather than rolls, but I have my doubts.

Here's the current convertible systems from name brand AstroTurf fwiw...
              #MACtion

Comment

I'm sure a drawback to trays, in addition to buying machinery to move it(?) would be storage. I can't imagine it would be a whole lot, relatively speaking, to put up a pole barn to store it. Hopefully they do it right this time. Either way, from that old carpet that they replaced with the current stuff to whatever they put in now will be quite the upgrade in only 10-11 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  MondoTurf.

Quick internet search says they specialize in fields for outdoor youth sports.

Another one of those cases where you don't go with the absolute cheapest thing you can find. I hope we're going with trays rather than rolls, but I have my doubts.

Here's the current convertible systems from name brand AstroTurf fwiw...
                  http://www.astroturf.com/products/conversion-series/
                  My hope is a tray system and interior modifications to the Campanile for vertical tray storage, like a card dispenser dealers use in Vegas. Only much, much cooler.
                  "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                    My hope is a tray system and interior modifications to the Campanile for vertical tray storage, like a card dispenser dealers use in Vegas. Only much, much cooler.
                    I'd like to see the Campanile used also, only Pez style, with heavy duty drones latching on to each tray as dispensed and whisking it off to the Dome. That would be epic.
                    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                      I'd like to see the Campanile used also, only Pez style, with heavy duty drones latching on to each tray as dispensed and whisking it off to the Dome. That would be epic.
                      It would be the envy of all of FCS and FBS.

You keep dreaming, Gonzo ... dream big.

Comment

I don't think finding a place or building a shed to store the trays would be the issue, I think getting the trays in and out of the dome would be, the doors out of the dome are not the biggest, so I am not sure trays would fit through them, where as rolls do, if we have to store them outside of the dome.

Comment

After the SIU game last year the NCAA called and told the athletic department that the turf being so far off was unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                            I don't think finding a place or building a shed to store the trays would be the issue, I think getting the trays in and out of the dome would be, the doors out of the dome are not the biggest, so I am not sure trays would fit through them, where as rolls do, if we have to store them outside of the dome.
                            If we can fly the trays over from our PEZ-ified Campanile, we can damn sure widen a couple of doors to get them in the Dome.

We owe it to the drone pilots. We owe it to history.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ2TheHall View Post
                              After the SIU game last year the NCAA called and told the athletic department that the turf being so far off was unacceptable.
                              I didn't hear about the NCAA calling but I do know that the MVFC commissioner reached out to David Harris and said it needed to be fixed immediately.
                              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                                I didn't hear about the NCAA calling but I do know that the MVFC commissioner reached out to David Harris and said it needed to be fixed immediately.
                                I can't imagine anyone has looked at the turf in the last 7 years and gone "Yeah, that's alright" outside of maybe Dannen. I would have rather played a few more years on the old astro turf and gotten in done right than rushing into what we did. Hell, NDSU played on sand paper turf until 2012.

Heck, an option would be a permanent turf install and a removable ITF surface that could be laid on top of it.

The instant draw back is the number of other events in there that would eat the turf up instantly

Comment

Working...
                                X