WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI vs Upper Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNI vs Upper Iowa

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Re-read that Stein.

The game's not too fast for him. He's in control...
    I think Stein is saying that the game should not look fast against a D-II if he's going to be worth anything.

I don't know, D-II is not that huge a step down-they are still scholarship ballers and Brooks McKowen had his guys playing hard.

What I would say was that Wyatt did not appear jittery or tentative trying to think about where he was going or what he was doing. Even Jeremy Morgan last year looked lost at times and step slow early in the year. That is not unexpected for freshman against any competition-just learning plays, rotation on defense, etc. Wyatt didn't show that from what I recall last night, but it's only one game.

Comment

All good assessments above. Would have liked to see Carlson a bit more to make a judgment. Was disappointed to see Paul J. having a low release on his shot. Held higher, no 3-man could block it.

Good applause for Brooks when he was introduced.

Nice to see our coach clean-shaven!
      Last edited by '70 Grad; 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
        Jacobson told Rima on his show last night, if Friedman doesn't play against Upper ia he will redshirt. He didn't play.
        Time will tell...patience fans
        Entertaining game - highs and lows. Lows are fixable
        What I heard Jake say on Rima's radio show is that they were CONSIDERING redshirting Friedman. Since he played as a true freshman last season, NCAA rules do not allow him to play in an exhibition game and redshirt in the same season. Jake said he and Friedman had a good conversation about it but no decision had been made at this time. Clearly it's in the realm of possibility since he did not play last night.

Comment

Did I read somewhere that Lohaus had some type of procedure that fixed his heart issue? Did he have a bucket of ice water to stick his head in at the game?
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

A few thoughts I had.

Lohuas is going to play and play a lot this year. I know it was only against upper iown but that was his first ever game at the collegiate level and he looked great.

Just won't be enough minutes for Karlson this year. He'll be the 5th big man once buss is back and will be the odd man out.

Disappointed not to see a little more of Knar. I know it doesn't mean much but I came away fairly impressed at McLeod madness with him.

I'm all for redshirting Ted if they think he'll still develop.

I have high hopes for Koch to continuously improve throughout the year. You can tell the size and talent are there.

Otherwise you could tell it was an opening exhibition game. It's very rare fans walk away from the first exhibition game and say wow, we looked great. You know rebounding is going to continue to be a point of emphasis and will improve, hopefully a lot.
            Last edited by ilovecats; 10-31-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
              Did I read somewhere that Lohaus had some type of procedure that fixed his heart issue? Did he have a bucket of ice water to stick his head in at the game?
              He had a procedure in June to correct it and hasn't had a single episode since...
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
                I think Stein is saying that the game should not look fast against a D-II if he's going to be worth anything.

I don't know, D-II is not that huge a step down-they are still scholarship ballers and Brooks McKowen had his guys playing hard.

What I would say was that Wyatt did not appear jittery or tentative trying to think about where he was going or what he was doing. Even Jeremy Morgan last year looked lost at times and step slow early in the year. That is not unexpected for freshman against any competition-just learning plays, rotation on defense, etc. Wyatt didn't show that from what I recall last night, but it's only one game.
                Correct, thanks Kahn. If the game is too fast against a DII school, then he'd have a ton of adjusting to do if he's supposed to play meaningful minutes. Not that he couldn't make that adjustment down the road if needed. Sounds like adjusting to much lower level competition is a moot point, since by all accounts he played well. DII being close to MVC level ball is the only disagreement I'd have with your post, Kahn. If someone can make a legit claim that UIU is pretty close to us later in the year, then it means our season is in the toilet. For now, use it as a coaching tool to improve our weaknesses (rebounding sounded like it was pretty bad), and move on.

Comment

Last night, for the most part, we played 10 deep. Ranging from 10-25 minutes. Add Buss into the equation, and we could have 11 solid contributors this year. However, depth is a gift and a curse.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
                    We played Upper Iowa and I can't believe our season or starters will be based on this game. Goodness people.....I heard today from a cousin of the guy that owns the Dairy Queen in the town Knar is from that his Aunt said Carlson might be suffering from a case of the trots today so he might not play.

IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON AND WHO CARES ABOUT BASKETBALL!!!! WE NEED TO WIN SATURDAY.
                    I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Comment

Working...
                    X