WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking about Playoffs? What are the odds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Talking about Playoffs? What are the odds.

Originally posted by word View Post
    Remember when you all talked down to NDSU? Just win the easy ones....wtf is happening in the falls!
    Get in the digs while you can. Sports are cyclical and NDSU won't be on top forever.
    Originally posted by TH1974
    This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
      If we're rated #22, how do we not make a field of 24? Do they take unranked teams? Why wouldn't those teams be rated if they have 8 wins or more? I don't understand how all that works. We'll be ranked at the end of the year if we do what I said, with the 3 wins and a narrow loss to NDSU. How can the committee justify not taking teams ranked in the Top 24, especially from our league (with 7 ranked)?

It's a moot point, anyway - we're not going anywhere even if we make it in - it would just make the season more interesting.
      Yes they take unranked teams, they are called automatic bids for conference champs. But yes, it's probably a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
        Yes they take unranked teams, they are called automatic bids for conference champs. But yes, it's probably a moot point.
        If your conference is weak enough that you can win it and not be ranked, then maybe that conference shouldn't receive an autobid. Isn't the goal to put the best teams in America in the playoff? (silly me, of course it's not)
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
          If your conference is weak enough that you can win it and not be ranked, then maybe that conference shouldn't receive an autobid. Isn't the goal to put the best teams in America in the playoff? (silly me, of course it's not)
          Correct. If the committee just put in the top ranked teams they would lose all their power. I've watched this for the last 20 years or so. I have complete confidence that most of the posters here will know more about the top teams than anyone on that committee. In the past, they have used logic such as this team has 8 I-AA wins and UNI only 7 I-AA wins. It did not matter that the other team had 4 or 5 of their wins against non-scholarship I-AA teams. Yep, a win against Drake is the same as NDSU or YSU in their eyes. Don't believe me...fine...believe whatever makes you happy. But to believe the committee is going to take the top teams is waaaaaaaay out there.

Comment

Harvard has a great chance to steal an at large and i'm afraid a MEAC or CAA team will steal another. the bubble is weak but east coast bias is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
              Harvard has a great chance to steal an at large and i'm afraid a MEAC or CAA team will steal another. the bubble is weak but east coast bias is real.
              Unless things have changed, the IVY League does not participate. The teams I am concerned about are Sacred Heart and Liberty. Those are the kind of schools these committees seem to love.

Comment

Looking at the conference standing right now some conference that got multiples (and had no business doing so) probably will not this year.

The Big Sky is looking at possibly 3 with EWU (7-2, 4-1) and Mont. St. (6-2, 4-0) looking strong with 4 other teams still fighting for 3rd at 5-3 (and all at 4/3-1 in conference play).

Big South has Coastal (8-0, 2-0) and thats it.

The CAA could easily get 3 with Villanova (7-1, 4-0), UNH (6-1, 4-0) and Richmond (6-2, 3-1) all doing well at this point in the season. Albany (6-2, 2-2) and William and Mary (5-3, 2-2) could possibly bounce off of the bubble.

The MEAC will hopefully only be one school but common sense tells me the committee will give another one of these ****-turds a look. NC A&T (7-2, 4-1) is the top dawg at the moment with Bethune-Cookman (6-2, 3-1) and SC St. (5-3, 3-1) right behind in the conference race. There are 3 more teams at 3-1 in conference play but they are all 4-4 or worse overall. I'm hoping that doesn't eliminate you in MVFC at this point but it absolutely should in the MEAC.

MVFC has 3 clear picks with NDSU (8-0, 4-0), ISUr (7-0, 4-0) and YSU (6-2, 3-1). Then you have 4 teams with 4-5 wins overall and 2 conference wins. Unfortunately for us we are in that heap and still have ISUr, SIU and NDSU left on the schedule. It's going to be tough but taking anything short of 4-5 MVFC teams would be an absolute joke. It's going to be a dog fight fellas...and I can only hope that in this case the Cats prevail.

The NEC scares me like LH mentioned. Bryant University is ranked and sitting at 6-1 (2-0) with Sacred Heart (6-2, 2-1) Duquesne (5-3, 1-1) and Wagner (4-3, 2-0) all in pursuit. Only one of these teams should even be allowed to mention the word "playoffs" yet we could have the 1st and 2nd place teams get a pity bid. I really hope it doesn't happen and I think the only reason it may have happened recently was because the actual 1st place team was ineligible for the Conf. Championship. They took the "official" champion and then handed the other team an at-large for reasons beyond me. Sorry you couldn't technically win your crappy conference...try again next year.

OVC has done us a huge favor by only having 2 teams even close to being worthy of consideration. That's still 1 too many but I guess I'd take the mediocre duo of a 7-1 (4-1) Eastern Kentucky and 6-1 (4-0) Jacksonville St over 3 mediocre and overrated OVC teams. Beggers can't be choosers. Hopefully one of them self-destructs

Both Fordham (7-1, 3-0) and Bucknell (6-1, 2-0) are up there in the Patriot League but I'd bet Fordham is the only one that goes. If they don't win the AQ though (not sure how they could screw that up and still be in the Top 25...wait...yes I do) then I bet they get a handout.

Pioneer League I won't even mention. There will be blood if they received more than an AQ.

Southern Conference could potentially get 2 simply because they've received that in the past and has some very even teams at the top. I really hope it's just the AQ though, the top 3 teams are either 6-2 or 5-3 and have 1 loss in conference play between them which means there are still some interesting matchups left.

Southland has McNeese (5-2, 2-1), SFA (6-2, 3-1) and SELA (6-3, 4-1) all still hunting. They deserve 2 but let's hope that's it. Sam Houston is sitting at 3-1 in conference play but 4-4 overall...I'm kind of conflicted on my feelings on that. That's something to keep an eye on.

Does the SWAC even participate? I'm pretty sure they sit out and do their own thing right?

If I give the MVFC 3 and then the most likely situation for the others (1 for the Big South, NEC, Patriot, Pioneer; 2 for MEAC, OVC Southern; 3 for Big Sky, CAA and Southland) means that 22 bids are spoken for. I see about 2-4, maybe bids that are seriously in flux and I have to believe that 1 more bid goes to the MVFC no matter what and maybe an extra one if the MEAC and Southern mess things up and only get one, or somewhere in the Big Sky, CAA and Southland things go sour and they lose one (I think at least one of the 4 will).
                Last edited by panther-state; 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

SWAC and IVY do not participate

Comment

I swear to god some of you are ****ing hopeless...

7-5 out
                    8-4 in

There is no scenario in the world that can change that. Save yourself the thought, debate, research, and inevitable disappointment.
                    Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

that is correct, 8-4 is in... you'd be 8-2 vs fcs teams
                      UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Plus we would have beaten ndsu. 8-4 only way in

Comment

Originally posted by jegbomb52 View Post
                          UNI is in control of their own destiny, 8-4 theyre in, 7-5 theyre out. It really doesn't get any easier that that.

We will have some on here who talk about how we deserve to be in at 7-5, we don't. We probably wouldn't deserve it at 8-4 but that would give us wins over Illinois State, SIU, and NDSU, that puts us in. Lose one and its over.
                          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Cat View Post
                            Agreed.

Not sure why people believe UNI doesn't deserve to be at 8-4, I believe we deserve to be in at 7-5 if we keep it close with NDSU and win out from there rather then some phony team from the Big Sky. Take a look at that phony conference! Go ahead and take a look at Northern Colorado's schedule and see some of the close games they played vs the conference's "elite" teams! Laughable! Heck they beat Northern Arizona! Didn't SDSU get in last year at 7-5 and beat Northrn Arizona in their house? Just saying Big Sky deserves conference champ and maybe one other.

Comment

Two teams have beaten the bison in the last four years. Any team that beats them is going to get a gold star. That would act as a tie breaker, not an automatic playoff ticket. We still have many, many issues to resolve on offense in the next six days.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Comment

Originally posted by wretched View Post
                                Didn't SDSU get in last year at 7-5 and beat Northrn Arizona in their house?
                                SDSU was 8-4 in the regular season last year

Code:
                                [U]South Dakota State Jackrabbits - 2013[/U]
                                Aug 31 - W vs. Butler, 55-14
                                Sep 7 - W at North Dakota, 35-28
                                Sep 14 - W vs. SE Louisiana, 34-26
                                Sep 21 - L at Nebraska, 20-59
                                Sep 28 - L vs. North Dakota St, 0-20
                                Oct 5 - L vs. Southern Ill, 24-27
                                Oct 12 - W at Western Ill, 38-14
                                Oct 19 - L at Missouri State, 21-35
                                Oct 26 - W vs. Northern Iowa, 37-34 2OT