WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uni wbb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uni wbb

Disappointed in the lack of discussion our women have generated on this site. While the men have taken us on a roller coaster, these ladies have been playing well all year long.

They are 15-4 (8-0), in a tie for 1st in the conference and hosting Drake (same records) on Friday. Hope the McLeod is loud and excited for our ladies.

Re: Uni wbb

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
    Disappointed in the lack of discussion our women have generated on this site. While the men have taken us on a roller coaster, these ladies have been playing well all year long.

They are 15-4 (8-0), in a tie for 1st in the conference and hosting Drake (same records) on Friday. Hope the McLeod is loud and excited for our ladies.
    AND FRIDAY NIGHT, wear purple and get FREE admission!

Comment

The women are playing excellent basketball. I have seen several of their games and have enjoyed them all. There are plenty of seats to view the games in person and most have been live streamed on ESPN3.

Comment

Defensively the Panthers look very sound. Like the men they depend on the three but do have an inside presence that allows them to get the ball inside and then put back offensive rebounds. This team is on a pace to better last year's team that won the regular season.

Comment

Love the consistency of their play.

Comment

I think they're a lot of fun to watch. We haven't lost since Iowa clobbered us, and in contrast Iowas' been up and down. We're still a bit small across the front line IMHO but Schonhardt (who I think is more of a true forward) has done a nice job of being our post. Herzberg has developed into enough of a scorer that teams can't focus on Weekly, so she's kind of taking over from what Benson was for us last year.

The Drake game will be interesting. We beat them 3 times last season, and I can't imagine they don't have Friday circled on their calendars. Wendell and Ingle are really good players, and they have a big, strong center along with a talented bench.

Jacqui Kalin has been doing color on the TV broadcasts, and is no longer listed as an assistant for the Bulldogs. Is she out of coaching?

Comment

Yes, jacqui left coaching...for now

Comment

Free admission for the game Friday. I hope this turns out to be a big crowd. These women work hard through the entire year and play in mostly empty arenas. It is time they got a few more folks in the seats.

Comment

What a fantastic game for the Valley tonight.

Disappointing that UNI was not able to finish the game with either Maahs or Schonhardt on the floor. Drake was able to score at will in the paint down the stretch.

Comment

Drake won it at the line going a unbelievable 34 of 36

Great game.. tough loss at home

Comment

Drake's first 10 points came from layups, and our foul trouble/their living on the free throw line came from our subsequent attempts to shut off the inside. As it was they had 3 players with 10 or more rebounds, and they out-boarded us 54-40. I thought we played really well, other than we just couldn't handle their inside game, and that is due more to the quality and number of Drake's bigs than our own weaknesses. Most teams, us included, don't have a match for Jonas, and she's only a soph.

We're really going to miss Schonhardt next year (and Weekly of course). Maahs is already pretty good and going to get better, and Hagen is dependable, but they're too short, and Hillyard is shorter. Hope coach Warren has somebody in the 6'3"-6'4" range on the way.

I thought Drake's zone was really tough and they put a lot of energy into it. Proof that a zone doesn't have to be a lazy defense. I think they'll be good next year also despite Wendell and Ingle graduating.
                      Last edited by in_the_stands; 01-28-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
                        Drake won it at the line going a unbelievable 34 of 36

Great game.. tough loss at home

Wow. It is hard to lose games with that kind of FT shooting. First, it obviously gives you lots of easy points. Second, it also means that the refs are calling lots of fouls on your opponents.

Did UNI try to play physical? Or were the refs just calling a lot?

Comment

Drake was having its way inside early for scoring and rebounding, they have really good bigs. It shows that their coach Baranczyk was a pretty good center in her playing days. Our fouls were due to our kids playing hard to get that evened out, IMHO. The refs were calling a lot, but it was an intensely played game by both sides. Personally I'd rather see it called tight and consistent than get out of hand.

Coach Warren was quoted in the Courier as saying they'd get the foul problems corrected: http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college...451b21584.html

A classy quote from Baranczyk: "The atmosphere was awesome," Drake coach Jennie Baranczyk said. "Honestly, everyone that came for the first time tonight needs to come back. They need to watch this team. UNI is a great team. They're still a young team. They're going to continue to have a great season."

Comment

The PA guy for women's should be doing NBA games

Comment

Watched game on Internet in Florida. Busy with family but couldn't put my iPhone down. Tough game to lose. The toughness of both teams will be evident in their next games. Great game to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X