WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get a moment of silence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we get a moment of silence...

This is hilarious! I wear my UNI colors in Fargo all the time. My ND license which is a specialized NDSU plate reads, "4UNI2". In my six years up here no one has ever made a derogatory comment or even vandalized my car. In fact, NDSU fans are very respectful toward UNI and recognize us as a class act. Heck, they respect us better than Iowa or Iowa State fans! The Bison are the big kahuna in ND collegiate athletics and don't understand our protective attitude especially in continuing to be perceived instate as a "minor league" program in comparison to Iowa and Iowa State. Next time I'm in CF, and not at a UNI athletic event, I'm going to wear a NDSU shirt to see what kind of a reception I get.

Comment

This is comical.

It has been said a million times. A few fans do not define the entire fan base. You can dislike a team without disliking the people who support it.

This NDSU fan might have run into some bad UNI fans. I am sure that UNI fans have run into some bad NDSU fans before. Both fan bases have their annoying members, but in general, I think they are both classy.

You cannot tell me that the VAST majority of UNI fans would not stop to help a car broken down on the side of the road with NDSU plates and bumper stickers. There is a strong rivalry here, but most fans do not HATE other fans.

I see people wearing NDSU gear around Ankeny, in Des Moines, and at the school I teach. I have never heard a rude comment.

Now, keep in mind - if you are in a rival team's hometown (e.g. Cedar Falls) during an athletic game or during the weekend of a big football game, you should expect some comments to be said. If you can't handle that, than you need to wear street clothes and not your college logo. Put on your big boy pants and stop writing letters to the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoPanther View Post
        This is hilarious! I wear my UNI colors in Fargo all the time. My ND license which is a specialized NDSU plate reads, "4UNI2". In my six years up here no one has ever made a derogatory comment or even vandalized my car. In fact, NDSU fans are very respectful toward UNI and recognize us as a class act. Heck, they respect us better than Iowa or Iowa State fans! The Bison are the big kahuna in ND collegiate athletics and don't understand our protective attitude especially in continuing to be perceived instate as a "minor league" program in comparison to Iowa and Iowa State. Next time I'm in CF, and not at a UNI athletic event, I'm going to wear a NDSU shirt to see what kind of a reception I get.

Love it. Sporting the plates in Fargo! Good for you.

Overall, the fans of both teams are energetic, but no real problem. Heck, I've met LakesBison and even he is okay.

Unfortunately, there are just a few bad ones (and a few ultra sensitive ones) that make it seem much worse than it really is.

Comment

Quick update....I was reading through this thread after starting it and for some reason I remembered there was some jackoff who responded to an editorial a few weeks ago about the bison being named the national mammal. The editorial sarcastically talked about how it should be a Panther and not a bison and so on and so forth. I can't seem to find the editorial that the Courier staff wrote, however, there was the response below that was penned by none other than Mr. Erik Walker.

Bison vs. panthers
          ERIK WALKER

CEDAR FALLS — Friday I thought I would take a quick peek to read The Courier when I noticed an editorial on the bison becoming the national mammal. Being that I am one of the few North Dakota State University transplants in the middle of Panther country, I just wanted to take a second to correct a couple of things for the local readers.

First, NDSU has won the last five national titles, not four, and the animal was not chosen out of spite to UNI. The bison does have a storied history in this country; the panther does not, and I would leave it to Cedar Falls to make such a comment. I understand the UNI faithful are upset they keep losing to NDSU when it counts. If you are tired of that, contribute more money to your program so they can go and recruit better players.

The selection of the national mammal had nothing to do with this rivalry; it was based on history. If the tables were turned and UNI won the last five titles, the animal would still be a bison and not a panther.
          I think we may have found the most overly sensitive, insecure sports fan north of the Mason Dixon line.

I'll be the first to admit, if I'm going to Iowa City, Ames, Lawrence, KS, or Wichita, I'm wearing UNI gear. I know for a fact I may get a comment or two, but it is entertaining to me and completely harmless. This Erik Walker guy seems like the guy who intentionally wears this gear in hopes of being offended and will be offended no matter what. I look forward to his next editorial requesting safe spaces be designated in the Cedar Valley for bison fans.

Comment

After reading that, l have to wonder if he was one of the Bizon who were pissed off by Andy Fales segment.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
              After reading that, l have to wonder if he was one of the Bizon who were pissed off by Andy Fales segment.

Without question. To this day he probably falls for every Troll job Andy throws out with fury that no human can match.

Comment

At least that fanbase up north is better than the one in southeast iowa. They make me want to drink myself to death with their whining and stupidity. There isnt wnough money in my retirement fund yet for that!

Comment

I love the fact that this entire thread was postured in mockery toward this doofus.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                    Quick update....I was reading through this thread after starting it and for some reason I remembered there was some jackoff who responded to an editorial a few weeks ago about the bison being named the national mammal. The editorial sarcastically talked about how it should be a Panther and not a bison and so on and so forth. I can't seem to find the editorial that the Courier staff wrote, however, there was the response below that was penned by none other than Mr. Erik Walker.

I think we may have found the most overly sensitive, insecure sports fan north of the Mason Dixon line.

I'll be the first to admit, if I'm going to Iowa City, Ames, Lawrence, KS, or Wichita, I'm wearing UNI gear. I know for a fact I may get a comment or two, but it is entertaining to me and completely harmless. This Erik Walker guy seems like the guy who intentionally wears this gear in hopes of being offended and will be offended no matter what. I look forward to his next editorial requesting safe spaces be designated in the Cedar Valley for bison fans.
                    Wow. Seriously, that Bison fan needs professional help. It's a sports team, man. Please work on developing a sense of humor.
                    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                    - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by FargoPanther View Post
                      Perhaps the reason that your experiences and clenz's experience were vastly different is because his experience came on game day where the fans have been drinking.
                      "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                        Since he lives in the Cedar Valley and wouldn't see a Des Moines TV sports show, he may not even know who Andy Fales is or what he has said about NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                          Since he lives in the Cedar Valley and wouldn't see a Des Moines TV sports show, he may not even know who Andy Fales is or what he has said about NDSU.

There isn't a bison fan alive that doesn't know Andy. It's why he continues to bring them up

Comment

[QUOTE=06panther10;443529]Oh, it absolutely is.

A lot of "challenged" man-children amongst your crew.[/QUOT
                            Your football national championships speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bizun90 View Post
                              Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                              Oh, it absolutely is.

A lot of "challenged" man-children amongst your crew.
                              Your football national championships speak for themselves.
                              OOOOOOOHHHHH. Burnt.
                              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Serious now for a second, why do you're fans, coaches TV and radio people believe that you're still on top in football?

Comment

Working...
                                X