WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tressel Out at OSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tressel Out at OSU

Ohio State president Gordon Gee had publicly and rigorously backed football coach Jim Tressel, even after it was revealed that Tressel had lied about his knowledge of NCAA violations.

Re: Tressel Out at OSU

No big surprise here, Ohio State trying to cover themselves, but I hope that the NCAA comes down HARD on them.

Comment

The only surprise for me is that it took this long.

Comment

look for Coach Bohl @ NDSU to offer Tressel a D Coord position, then you can have your coach back....
        UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bier Guy '99 View Post
          The only surprise for me is that it took this long.
          not really. this is all about money. money for Ohio State and therefore money for the NCAA. They could have come down on him hard when this all came out but they needed the cash cow of Ohio State in the picture. They don't care or like the Utah's and Boise State's of the world. Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame are among the top if not THEE top programs in football. If they are doing well, more money for the NCAA. Boise State being in the Top 5 is great for fans but the NCAA hates it because they don't get the money they would with an Ohio State. If Ohio State had a loss or two more on there season then the NCAA would have come down harder. Kinda ironic the NCAA used them to make money off this, don't ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
            look for Coach Bohl @ NDSU to offer Tressel a D Coord position, then you can have your coach back....

I think the vest already eyeing the video coordinator role at Minot College

Comment

Originally posted by jnutt View Post
              not really. this is all about money. money for Ohio State and therefore money for the NCAA. They could have come down on him hard when this all came out but they needed the cash cow of Ohio State in the picture. They don't care or like the Utah's and Boise State's of the world. Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame are among the top if not THEE top programs in football. If they are doing well, more money for the NCAA. Boise State being in the Top 5 is great for fans but the NCAA hates it because they don't get the money they would with an Ohio State. If Ohio State had a loss or two more on there season then the NCAA would have come down harder. Kinda ironic the NCAA used them to make money off this, don't ya think?
              To be fair, no one likes Utah or Boise St.
              UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

This is the same theory that you hear during the NCAA tournament, the NCAA loves when there are a few big upsets during the first week of the tourney, but when it comes to the sweet 16 they hate for teams like Butler to keep winning. I am not saying that the NCAA influences referees but if UNI would have beaten Michigan State it would have meant less money for the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
                  I'm pretty sure Tressel could just BE the NDSU football team and they'd win more games.

Comment

people have called me retarded for this, but this cheating by tOSU doesnt really bother me. its comical how much money that NCAA football brings in but the players arent allowed to enjoy it a little bit.

if from the beginning the system had been set up as being a system truly focuses on "student-athletes" i would feel differently, but that thought is loooong gone so i simply enjoy college athletics knowing that most of the programs bend or break the rules a little.

Comment

How does the NCAA make money off FBS football?

Remember, NCAA has nothing to do the the bowls.
                      "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                        people have called me retarded for this, but this cheating by tOSU doesnt really bother me. its comical how much money that NCAA football brings in but the players arent allowed to enjoy it a little bit.

if from the beginning the system had been set up as being a system truly focuses on "student-athletes" i would feel differently, but that thought is loooong gone so i simply enjoy college athletics knowing that most of the programs bend or break the rules a little.
                        I kind of agree. If some of these kids are being genuine and they needed the cash to help pay for rent, family expenses, etc... then I dont have a problem with it. However, some of the extra benefits like discounts on cars, trading in memorabilia for tattoos, stupid stuff like that and then Tressel and OSU trying to wiggle out of the situation I do have a problem with. The entire situation is just kinda messed up

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                          How does the NCAA make money off FBS football?

Remember, NCAA has nothing to do the the bowls.
                          I don't really pay any more attention to FBS football than most on here pay to, say, womens tennis. But I doubt that the NCAA has nothing to do with the bowls. They hold oversight to some extent, and I'm sure they get a cut of the money somewhere along the line.

Comment

Idk how they couldnt. It's their teams, their stadiums (kinda) their "championship", their TV network deals...somewhere along the lines they get a cut of the $$. Whether it comes from the schools, networks or the Bowl committees I don't know, but I'm sure it doesn't just "appear"

Comment

This is non-sensical. The NCAA doesn't get any TV money from FBS football. The schools don't pay the NCAA anything for FBS football. The only way the NCAA benefits is through schools spending football money on non-revenue sports thus allowing them to operate.

How OSU does impacts the B1G Ten and Ohio State, but not "the NCAA". No matter the situation, the NCAA never acts quickly. Investigations and their version of "due process" takes time. There is little reason to believe, at this time, that they sat on anything to benefit anyone. If anything, the NCAA has made clear this week that there are no sacred cows in college football.

Comment

Working...
                              X