WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schult wins Buchanan Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schult wins Buchanan Award

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
    Did you watch the game? He certainly did not help himself with the way he played. I wasn't at the practices, getting invited to the combine is definitely huge. He can continue to put up good numbers in shorts which will help him but I would prefer to draft a player who looks good playing football.
    I didn't watch the game. I go off of what professionals were saying after the game.

He played 16 snaps that involved rushing the passer. He had 4 pressures, a sack, a TFL and a fumble recovery.

Combine that with the practices he had and he certainly did improve his stock.

Scouts watch games very, very, differently than you do. They also value the game much less than the normal fan.

Comment

Did you watch the game? He certainly did not help himself with the way he played. I wasn't at the practices, getting invited to the combine is definitely huge. He can continue to put up good numbers in shorts which will help him but I would prefer to draft a player who looks good playing football.

Looking at our posts I think we are talking about two different things here.
      The practices are 80-90% of what they're grading. Many will leave after the last practice, but they obviously will have tape of the game. The practices are about live football, as it's all in pads and all about one on one matchups. One on one, beating the man in front of you, executing, technique, that's what it's all about. Schult certainly helped himself this week. It sounds like no lock that he'll be drafted, but let's see how he runs at UNI's pro day.

Comment

My bad, I was referring to the Drake TE. I even mentioned that Schult looked just as good or even better than the DE who they couldn't stop raving about. You are right about the practices, I just thought that the TE had a particularly bad game. If he is a workout warrior then getting invited to the combine will probably offset that.

Comment

Buchanan Award winner not invited to NFL combine. Head scratcher

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
            Buchanan Award winner not invited to NFL combine. Head scratcher
            My thoughts exactly. Is there a glut of stud D linemen in FBS this year?

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Is there a glut of stud D linemen in FBS this year?
              Yes. Crazy good D-Line class this year. Bad luck but he'll get a chance to wow somebody in personal workouts and I've still seen him projected as a mid-round pick.

I have my doubts about him at the next level, he's the classic tweener, but UNI guys seem to prove everybody wrong so I'm hopefully wrong...
              #MACtion

Comment

If he makes a roster, that will be 4 Panthers on NFL rosters from the last 3 graduating classes alone. Thats crazy.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

The award doesn't mean near as much as perceived upside at the next level, and it's all determined by scouts. He'll run the same drills at UNI's pro day. I've seen anywhere from late round pick to undrafted free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                    If he makes a roster, that will be 4 Panthers on NFL rosters from the last 3 graduating classes alone. Thats crazy.

We already have 4. DJ and Xavier in Arizona. Hall in Chicago and Dorleant in Green Bay

Comment

I see him along the lines of Dwight Freeny, absent the spin move

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Comment

I see him along the lines of Dwight Freeny, absent the spin move

Dwight Freeney ran a 4.48 40 at the combine. To compare Schult to him is absolutely absurd. That's faster than David Johnson ran 2 years ago. Schult is a guy who will have to get by on technique and toughness; Freeney's athletic traits were on another planet compared to almost every DL.

Comment

I'll get off your yard.

All I meant is an undersized DL that just finds to make a play.

Comment

I'll get off your yard.

All I meant is an undersized DL that just finds to make a play.

I just don't like making comparisons to hall of fame caliber players for any prospect. It's not fair to either party

Comment

Originally posted by Gocats15 View Post
                              I just don't like making comparisons to hall of fame caliber players for any prospect. It's not fair to either party
                              Very true. i read where Schult has some turn the corner type ability against higher level players than he faced in college (Shrine Bowl), but not dominant enough to be a lock for the scouting combine. He'll need to put up some good numbers st UNI's pro day, and then show some special teams potential in whatever training camp he lands in. All that is certainly possible.

Also, there's a difference between generally comparing him to Dwight Freeney, and saying he's the NEXT Dwight Freeney. I don't think Trapped was saying he's the next, just broadly comparing styles.
                              Last edited by SteinPizza; 02-17-2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                                Very true. i read where Schult has some turn the corner type ability against higher level players than he faced in college (Shrine Bowl), but not dominant enough to be a lock for the scouting combine. He'll need to put up some good numbers st UNI's pro day, and then show some special teams potential in whatever training camp he lands in. All that is certainly possible.

Also, there's a difference between generally comparing him to Dwight Freeney, and saying he's the NEXT Dwight Freeney. I don't think Trapped was saying he's the next, just broadly comparing styles.
                                Karter is white. We need to find a white DE to compare him too. That's how scouting works.

Comment

Working...
                                X