WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olivier to UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olivier to UNI

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
    Uh...

...as opposed to a kid that has already shown success beyond his high school career. Seriously, Casey's? Did you need me to spell it out for you, I assumed you could infer the obvious for yourself.

Comment

very good for next year, should help out greatly. I am a little concerned about how the scholarship came open though. Have we heard anything about it?

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
        ...as opposed to a kid that has already shown success beyond his high school career. Seriously, Casey's? Did you need me to spell it out for you, I assumed you could infer the obvious for yourself.
        Ok. First, we recruit kids out of high school that have shown nothing at a level above high school. Second, this kid has shown success beyond his high school career, playing against JC competition for a season and I believe his team won a national tournament, where he was co-MVP of the tournament.

Originally posted by strike00 View Post
        very good for next year, should help out greatly. I am a little concerned about how the scholarship came open though. Have we heard anything about it?
        I haven't heard anything about a scholarship being open. Anyone else?
        Originally posted by rockybison
        You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

Maybe it was a walk-on first year, scholarship last 4 deal? If not, there may be a bigger story that hasn't come out yet.

Comment

In due time, that will come out. I believe that Beaton mentioned something like that on Twitter. No one is transferring to my knowledge though.

HOP- I'm glad you finally gave up! It was only a matter of time before submission took place! haha...

As for CO, he's a great get. What a way to add depth to our currently promising post players. I think that what Chris brings to the table is that he is an immediate down low player to complement Pehl, Tuttle, Koch, and Rank (Buss is more perimeter based). I believe Koch will develop some more back to the basket moves this offseason and that's why I would put him in this discussion. I think you will still see Jake start at the '4', but he will also do some down low work some more. But, b/c he does a great job of spreading the floor and getting others involved, I don't think that he'll play too much down low.

This will be interesting to see what happens with redshirts. Does UNI have the luxury to now RS more guys? Will Tuttle RS? Singleton? I would have told you a month ago, there is very little way that Tuttle or Singleton RS as they each brought something to the mix that's unique and necessary for this team. Now, with CO on board, he provides the down low presence and athleticism that may allow one or both of those to be RS. How nice would it be to know that you could have Tuttle and Singleton as potential 4 year major contributors (and probable 3 year starters).

I will post again CO's highlight reel. It's pretty impressive.

Chris Olivier (6'8" PF/C) and Khameron Harper (6'3" G/F) are two of the elite unsigned seniors in Illinois, and across the midwest. Chris is a highly skilled...
            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Just as I was giving up hope! Great to hear! With all the new bodies this year, the summer trip down south to Brazil will be really valuable in developing some chemistry and seeing who can jump in right away and contribute. That will help clear up the red shirt discussion a little too.

Don't care how he got here. Just glad he did. Wondering which coach had his hands in recruiting Chris.

Just what we needed.

Comment

Chicagohoops.com said

Former Seton Academy star Chris Oliviera of Quakerdale Prep has now signed a Letter of Intent to play his college basketball in the Missouri Valley Conference for head coach Ben Jacobsen, Ben Johnson and the University of Northern Iowa.

My guess is Ben Johnson was the primary recruiter for Chris.
                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                  Maybe it was a walk-on first year, scholarship last 4 deal? If not, there may be a bigger story that hasn't come out yet.
                  I'm going to guess that one of the other incoming freshman may have agreed to a 5 for 4. Just a guess, though. I might not put it past one of the current players going in and agreeing to go to a walk-on status to get someone who can help the team. I wouldn't put it past some of the quality guys on the team to do that if their family has the means otherwise.

Comment

That makes two players in this class coming as a result of Coach Johnson, as he was the lead on Deon Mitchell also. Keep up the good work!!

Comment

So....

Now that we have just as many players from out of the state of Iowa on the roster as Iowa kids...and the black/white ratio is about even what are people going to say when they can't figure out why they lose to us? We aren't really that "team full of slow, white, unathletic Iowa farm hicks" anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey'sitsallgood View Post
                        Second, this kid has shown success beyond his high school career, playing against JC competition for a season and I believe his team won a national tournament, where he was co-MVP of the tournament.
                        Thank you for re-stating the entire point of my post.

Comment

I need to start sending Coach Jake some recruits from here in TX. I was supervising an AAU tourney at my school this past weekend 9U - High School and in a 16-17 year old game...there was 4 players 6'10 or higher, including a 7 footer. (and 3 of those were on the same team).

Comment

Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
                            I need to start sending Coach Jake some recruits from here in TX. I was supervising an AAU tourney at my school this past weekend 9U - High School and in a 16-17 year old game...there was 4 players 6'10 or higher, including a 7 footer. (and 3 of those were on the same team).
                            Get on it!
                            Raised a Hawkeye, Panther by choice.

Comment

Sorry i've been busy trying to get a State champion wrestler from my hometown to go to UNI to wrestle

Comment

Oliveria (pronounced Oh-liv-e-ay)
                                I think we should start mentally preparing for every announcer not named Gary Rima to pronounce his name as Chris Olive-uh-ree-uh. We've had a great string of difficult names.

Comment

Working...
                                X