WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kurt Warner to be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kurt Warner to be inducted into the Hall of Fame

That said, I don't see why we would retire Kurt Warner's number. I think typically when you retire a college jersey number it's because of that players college accomplishments. He played one season and we had an early exit from the playoffs.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
      I'm pretty sure some bigger schools have done it. I think I remember hearing about a player getting permission to wear a retired number while watching a game this year.
      Iowa State essentially retired Davis' number after his brother wore it, #28 I think?

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
        If I understand correctly they actually get together and talk people out. It's not a ballot like baseball.
        Yeah, "Selection Saturday" is the day before the SB. Forty-eight selectors in a closed room, plus I believe two HOFers. They begin with with the senior candidate and contributor categories. Then, with modern era candidates, they pare it down from 15 to 10 to the finalists. The modern day candiares need 80 percent approval to get in (I think the seniors and contributors are up/down, since they were vetted to reach this point, but am not sure).

I have read and been told that each player has someone present on their behalf and while in some cases it didn't matter (Favre's presenter simoly said, "Brett Favre" and set down the mic), for others, the presenter and his defense of the candidate swayed the voters (some of whom do little or even no research going in to the room, if some others in the room are to be believed ... seeing the list of voters, I believe it).
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
          Yeah, "Selection Saturday" is the day before the SB. Forty-eight selectors in a closed room, plus I believe two HOFers. They begin with with the senior candidate and contributor categories. Then, with modern era candidates, they pare it down from 15 to 10 to the finalists. The modern day candiares need 80 percent approval to get in (I think the seniors and contributors are up/down, since they were vetted to reach this point, but am not sure).

I have read and been told that each player has someone present on their behalf and while in some cases it didn't matter (Favre's presenter simoly said, "Brett Favre" and set down the mic), for others, the presenter and his defense of the candidate swayed the voters (some of whom do little or even no research going in to the room, if some others in the room are to be believed ... seeing the list of voters, I believe it).

And then they send out a puff of white smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
            Iowa State essentially retired Davis' number after his brother wore it, #28 I think?

Iowa State has not retired Jack Trice's number.

Comment

FWIW a Twin Cities news station just did a nice feature on Jack Trice. The said that Iowa State was very helpful in providing them with information.

Also congrats to Curt, very happy for him.
              Last edited by MnPantherFan; 02-06-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X