WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playoff Prediction

Originally posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    If Montana State wins:

1. Montana State
    2. Sam Houston
    3. NDSU
    4. Georgia Southern
    5. UNI
    Ga Southern only lost to App State and dropped to 4th, you will drop to 5th
    1. Montana State
    2. Sam Houston
    3.Ga Southern
    4. UNI
    5. NDSU

Comment

Originally posted by hamalot View Post
      Ga Southern only lost to App State and dropped to 4th, you will drop to 5th
      1. Montana State
      2. Sam Houston
      3.Ga Southern
      4. UNI
      5. NDSU

So a 9-2 UNI team will be seeded above a 10-1 Bison team that beat them head to head......you actually believe this?

I guess we'll see then.

Comment

So a 9-2 UNI team will be seeded above a 10-1 Bison team that beat them head to head......you actually believe this?

I guess we'll see then.
        This is the NCAA. A lot of crap happens that doesn't make sense....honestly if you've followed college football or basketball at all for the past few years you'd realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
          This is the NCAA. A lot of crap happens that doesn't make sense....honestly if you've followed college football or basketball at all for the past few years you'd realize this.

No, I do not follow college BB....more of a college wrestling and hockey fan.

We'll see how the seeds turn out.

Comment

I guess we'll see then.
            Not sure but the argument could be made that losing at home to unranked ysu is worse than losing at #3 team and at a decent big 12 team.
            "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

I guess we'll see then.
              It's happened before. The committee will ALWAYS punish a team for a so called bad loss. The loss to YSU may count more than the win against UNI. I'm not saying it's right or I believe it, I just know it could happen.

Comment

Although I find it hard to call a loss to YSU "bad". Last year, yes but this year they are probably the #3 or 4 team in the MVFC. No shame in that.

Comment

Losing to highly ranked team on the road > losing to a mid-level team at home.

Comment

Ya, it might be a "bad" loss but YSU will probably end up 7-4....

Their offense is pretty good....saw that 1st hand yesterday.

I guess I wouldn't be totally shocked if a 9-2 UNI team gets a higher seed compared to a 10-1 NDSU team. But I would have to believe that head-to-head has to carry some weight......and no matter how bad people think the Gophers are, they are still a 85 scholly team and we beat them at their place.

Is the same thing going to be said next year when we travel to Colorado State for our FBS game? If we win then it was against a "bad" FBS team.....

Comment

Ya, it might be a "bad" loss but YSU will probably end up 7-4....

Their offense is pretty good....saw that 1st hand yesterday.

I guess I wouldn't be totally shocked if a 9-2 UNI team gets a higher seed compared to a 10-1 NDSU team. But I would have to believe that head-to-head has to carry some weight......and no matter how bad people think the Gophers are, they are still a 85 scholly team and we beat them at their place.

Is the same thing going to be said next year when we travel to Colorado State for our FBS game? If we win then it was against a "bad" FBS team.....
                      Depends on whether or not Colorado State is 2-10 on the year...
                      Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post
                        Weird. Why would the #4 seed GSU get a better 2nd round matchup than #1 seeded Montana St.?
                        only the top 5 are seeded.
                        and yes, supposedly the "bottom 8" are put into the first round (and subsequently play the top 4 seeds).

but they aren't required to pair up the "worst" first-round game with the #1 seed. They often take into account geography (and likely high hosting bids) when setting up the brackets at higher priority than giving the #1 seed the "easiest opponent"

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                          I think there are a lot of things that we will be wondering through the week

1. Montana State should get #1 with a win, with a loss I am still wondering if they get a seed?

2. Sam Houston State could get the #1 yet, I think they may be the worst undefeated team ever, could easily loose early

3. Even after loosing to the Penguins the Bizon could still get that one spot?

4. GSU keeps it close but looses where do they end up?

5. Does UNI's high computer ranking get them up to a #2 or #3 seed?

6. Lehigh is actually still in the conversation for a seed?

7. What does the committee do with the CAA champ?

8. How many teams does the MVFC get in?

All I know is that we need to win this week and let things fall the way they do.
                          I disagree. What makes you think this? They are in a weaker league, but they are just killing people. Their closest league game was 31-10. They're clearly a very, very, very good team. Top 5 caliber.

Comment

I think that its very possible we could get left out of the seeds even with a win. You all seem pretty confident, but it sure seems like an easy call for the committee to put the 4 power league champions plus an undefeated SHSU team as the top 5 seeds. I could see it going down like this if everyone wins

Seeds (no particular order)
                            -Sam Houston (11-0 with a win)
                            -North Dakota State (10-1 with a win next week, lost to YSU who could be 7-4 so not really a bad loss, wins over us and FBS and Ill St and Indy St, MVFC auto bid winner)
                            -Montana State (10-1 with a win next week over Montana, 9-0 vs FCS, outright BSC Champs)
                            -Georgia Southern (9-2 with a loss next week to Bama, losses to FBS and Appy, outright SoCon Champs, beat Furman and Wofford)
                            -Towson (9-2 with a win next week, CAA Champs, Beat UNH (7-3), Maine (8-2), Old Dominion (9-2), lost to FBS and Delaware (6-4))

-Also Maine could get a look if they win and Towson loses as outright CAA champs with a 9-2 record. Not saying we don't DESERVE a top 5 seed if we win, but I'm not sure we will get it. Not sure we wont either, its just not the layup some of you are making it out to be.

Also not sure if we are a lock for top 12 if we lose. If things go a certain way we could see Montana, Montana State, New Hampshire, Towson, Old Dominion, Maine, Georgia Southern, Wofford, Appy St., NDSU, Illinois State, Sam Houston St, and Lehigh all get looks for the top 12 over us. That's 13 teams.

Just some food for thought.

Comment

is attendance/bidding also a factor when it comes to seeding?

Comment

Originally posted by ndsubison1 View Post
                                is attendance/bidding also a factor when it comes to seeding?
                                not suppose to be. Bidding is the determining factor in who hosts games against non-seeded teams.
                                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Working...
                                X