WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off season chatter: UNI Logo Rebranding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off season chatter: UNI Logo Rebranding

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
    Yes - it's not advertised or promoted well though. I use to love getting stuff from it as a kid - now I usually find out about it after the fact.
    They've only had two in the last 5 or 6 years as far as I know. I got some really cool stuff from both of them, including some cleats that had never been worn, and two old football jerseys.

Also please don't change the logo. The updated one is great.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
      Agreed.

Bought all those extra helmets then went back to black pants making the white helmets unusable. Most of them have been sold to high schools at this point.
      Not surprised. And people wonder why our athletic department has funding problems. Why buy new helmets only to get rid of them because they don't match for one year? We only had black pants in 2013, but in 2014 we got the purple ones, which would look fine with white jerseys and helmets. And also about our practice jerseys, I've always wondered why we don't have a full set of those 2012 ones? Those at least look modern and respectable (besides the giant white mvc patch). We can throw money away on the terrible black jerseys with the wrong shade of purple yet we don't have decent practice jerseys.

Comment

Originally posted by Gocats15 View Post
        Not surprised. And people wonder why our athletic department has funding problems. Why buy new helmets only to get rid of them because they don't match for one year? We only had black pants in 2013, but in 2014 we got the purple ones, which would look fine with white jerseys and helmets. And also about our practice jerseys, I've always wondered why we don't have a full set of those 2012 ones? Those at least look modern and respectable (besides the giant white mvc patch). We can throw money away on the terrible black jerseys with the wrong shade of purple yet we don't have decent practice jerseys.
        Didn't we make money off the black jerseys?
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
          Didn't we make money off the black jerseys?
          The black and gold basketball jerseys were sold. I don't think the football ones were, and if they were, UNI did a horrible job marketing it so they probably didn't get many bids. It's hard to auction off football jerseys at a school like UNI since there are so many players and they can't only sell a few. I think it's either all or nothing, as selling only starters jerseys could potentially lead to an NCAA issue with using player likeness. With auctioning off the whole team, it's not like the university is picking players to sell based on their ability/popularity.

Comment

The black and gold basketball jerseys were sold. I don't think the football ones were, and if they were, UNI did a horrible job marketing it so they probably didn't get many bids. It's hard to auction off football jerseys at a school like UNI since there are so many players and they can't only sell a few. I think it's either all or nothing, as selling only starters jerseys could potentially lead to an NCAA issue with using player likeness. With auctioning off the whole team, it's not like the university is picking players to sell based on their ability/popularity.
            Black jersey's after the SIU game a few years ago were auctioned off. Made decent money off of it as well.

Comment

They can't only sell a few? Uh.....what?

Pretty sure they could sell a large number.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about?
                "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

They did "sell" the black football jerseys. The players got first option to buy the jerseys. The remaining jerseys were auctioned off with a starting bid of $250. Amazingly all were auctioned above minimum price - I wanted to buy one and the going price was too rich for my blood. Whatever marketing (at the game, Twitter, Facebook, uni panthers.com) seemed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                    They did "sell" the black football jerseys. The players got first option to buy the jerseys. The remaining jerseys were auctioned off with a starting bid of $250. Amazingly all were auctioned above minimum price - I wanted to buy one and the going price was too rich for my blood. Whatever marketing (at the game, Twitter, Facebook, uni panthers.com) seemed to work.
                    They did? There is literally zero mention of it anywhere on twitter, facebook, etc. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the basketball ones?

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                      What the hell are you talking about?
                      What do you mean? We sold the gold basketball jerseys worn this year, and the black basketball jerseys from last year. What I was saying with the rest of that was that I'm pretty sure UNI would have to sell every jersey if they decided to do that. If they only sold a few, there could be issues down the road involving using a player's likeness to make money. When you sell the whole team, its fine because it isn't singling out a player's likeness to generate revenue. However, lets say 2 years ago we sold a bunch of 7 jerseys. Johnson would have been able to say that he was the reason for those profits, and could potentially have a claim for it. Right now its technically OK, but a lot of schools are only selling generic #1 jerseys in case the legal status changes due to the O'Bannon vs NCAA case. The schools don't want to have to pay out money to players based on jersey sales. Read this article and you'll see what I mean.
                      With several financial issues in college sports being litigated or debated, some colleges have stopped selling jerseys with popular players’ numbers on them.
                      Last edited by Gocats15; 04-25-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

What do you mean? We sold the gold basketball jerseys worn this year, and the black basketball jerseys from last year. What I was saying with the rest of that was that I'm pretty sure UNI would have to sell every jersey if they decided to do that. If they only sold a few, there could be issues down the road involving using a player's likeness to make money. When you sell the whole team, its fine because it isn't singling out a player's likeness to generate revenue. However, lets say 2 years ago we sold a bunch of 7 jerseys. Johnson would have been able to say that he was the reason for those profits, and could potentially have a claim for it. Right now its technically OK, but a lot of schools are only selling generic #1 jerseys in case the legal status changes due to the O'Bannon vs NCAA case. The schools don't want to have to pay out money to players based on jersey sales. Read this article and you'll see what I mean.
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/sp...ered.html?_r=0
                        UNI absolutely sold the black football jerseys. The "star" players jerseys went for WAY more money than others.

Comment

Working...
                        X