WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gazette: "Bill Salmon an invaluable stalwart for UNI football"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazette: "Bill Salmon an invaluable stalwart for UNI football"

"Bill Salmon an invaluable stalwart for UNI football

Co-offensive coordinator is entering his 30th season as a full-time assistant for the Panthers

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:19 pm

CEDAR FALLS — For 30 seasons and 30 spring camps now, Bill Salmon has walked down the tunnel and through the doors leading to Sherriff Field for spring practice as a Northern Iowa football assistant coach.

Throw in his years as a player and graduate assistant, and Salmon has been a part of nearly 40 editions of the grind of preparing a football team for its season. Apart from four seasons from 1997 through 2000 as offensive coordinator at Kansas under then-coach Terry Allen, Salmon has been on the UNI campus for football since his freshman year in 1973.

More than anyone else — even head coach Mark Farley — Salmon is UNI football."

Again, Jeremiah Davis at the Gazette is writing about UNI (though misspelling Stan Sheriff's name in the first graph).

entire read at:
    Last edited by ronfitch; 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM.
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Re: Gazette: "Bill Salmon an invaluable stalwart for UNI football"

I know that there are many people on here who want to blame him for some of the misses UNI has had in football, but there is no one who wants what is best for UNI more than Bill.

Also if you look at a lot of the "BIG" losses you could look back at a key fumble or missed field goal as more of a cause then just play calling.

Comment

This is a great article, and I sure hope Jeremiah is on our beat for many years to come.

But back to the article - I'm glad it was written, and I love the insight into Salmon's and Farley's relationship. Salmon was one of my favorite coaches to interact with during my internship year in the football office. I always enjoyed our conversations and the time he took to sit down and just catch up with me.
      "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I'm dating myself here, but I was once at a game in OR Latham and was walking from the east to the west stands around the north side. We had the ball on our 40, Salmon dropped back, then rolled out and uncorked a bomb. Being behind the north goal post and on ground level, I didn't have good depth perception, but I did see the receiver (Charlie Aldrich?) catch the ball while falling down. Ref immediately signaled a TD, so the ball went somewhere around 65 yards in the air. The guy was a stud...

Comment

Working...
        X