WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Turf

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
    Those look familiar ...

Wonder if Harris is consulting with Clenz?
    Whoa. Is that something we're actually planning, or is it just a "it'd be nice if" type thing? Because that looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakelsta View Post
      Was in the dome today, and honestly the pictures can't do it justice. Wow. It really shows how bad our old turf was. The stuff looks like plush carpet. And the purple really pops. Looks like royal purple robes or something. Very high end.

I wanted to reply and thank you for the report on the new turf. Can't wait to see it for myself. Your report was quite a nice tease!

Comment

The image on the web cam now looks to be the finished product.

Looks great. Well done by the athletic dept and the vendor.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Oh my, what an improvement!

Comment

They've got a few sections folded back again today. The largest part is done, now I'm assuming it's "simply" making sure the seams are tight, everything is aligned properly, etc...

Comment

• I see they also removed the staircases that led down from the stands (for instance, near where the band sits).
              I wonder if that was just a safety issue (removing obstructions from an already limited sideline), or if there was some other reason behind it.

Comment

• Looked on TV like there was some kind of discolorization/staining along the bottom of the Iowa outline, and also more about 10 feet out from the east sideline. Time for a Rug Doctor already?

Be interesting to find out how the players feel about playing on a non-infill surface again. I'm sure it's a much-refined product than the original AstroTurf, and in better condition than our previous stuff. But as I understand it, it's still basically carpet over a thin pad, right?

Comment

• we went down on the turf post game - i was amazed at how soft and plush it was. A big step up from the previous turf...which was a big step up from the last astro turf. talked to one of the players parents at our tailgate. They said thier son loved the new turf.

Comment

• I thought it looked really good in person. I don't have any complaints with the green colors, thought they looked as much like grass as you can with turf.

Did pull up the ESPN3 replay and it does look a bit off on TV, but that could be an camera equipment issue as much as anything, I'm sure Learfield isn't sending that newest and best to do our telecasts...
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                      it's still basically carpet over a thin pad, right?
                      That's all any turf is.

It's the exact same stuff NDSU, USD, and about 9 NFL teams use. It's really damn good stuff.

The dark green does look a bit brown on TV, but that could be a number of things. I've seen photos were that isn't the case

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                        That's all any turf is. ...

Not exactly. FieldTurf and the other infill systems use longer "blades" and then mix in sand and ground up tires to provide shock absorbtion which in theory more resembles natural sod. These can be easily identified by the cloud of black stuff that gets kicked up. In our case, and anyone else that needs something removeable, the infill types are hard to work with, compared to carpet & pad.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          I thought it looked really good in person. I don't have any complaints with the green colors, thought they looked as much like grass as you can with turf.

Did pull up the ESPN3 replay and it does look a bit off on TV, but that could be an camera equipment issue as much as anything, I'm sure Learfield isn't sending that newest and best to do our telecasts...
                          Agree it looks better in person than on TV. Love the purple end zones...and the Iowa outline at mid field...mad genius.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I don't care for the "olive" green. I would have preferred a darker color for those stripes, but it's whatever. Much better than the old turf.
                            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

• In person it looked great. A huge step up from previous versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X