WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Girls State Basketball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Girls State Basketball Tournament

Link below if you want to watch the games this week for free:

Re: Iowa Girls State Basketball Tournament

I like how 3 teams from NW Iowa made it to state and have to face each other. Spirit Lake and Estherville are in the same conference and had to play in the first round. Estherville won, and then they have to play MOC-FV in the second round (a team that they've already met this year).

I understand that they seed teams at the state tourney, but I don't think they should allow 2 teams from the same conference to meet right away. It makes no sense that 2 schools located 15 minutes apart have to drive 3.5 hours to Des Moines to play each other. You make it to state to play against other schools that you wouldn't typically meet.

Comment

On the other hand, many people would say those two teams only 15 miles apart were lucky to be sent in opposite directions by the state association for the district and regional tournaments, which allowed each of them the opportunity to get to Des Moines.

Comment

Who are some of the top players in the state this year?

I was also shocked to see some of the scores. Did i see one team won 71-30 in 3A, also in 1A wasn't there a blow out? How are some of these teams getting in?

Comment

Originally posted by PantherHawk View Post
          Who are some of the top players in the state this year?

I was also shocked to see some of the scores. Did i see one team won 71-30 in 3A, also in 1A wasn't there a blow out? How are some of these teams getting in?
          5 classes makes for a slightly more watered down tournament, and have you looked at scores during the regular season? You're more likely to see a 30 point win than a 3 point win it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
            5 classes makes for a slightly more watered down tournament, and have you looked at scores during the regular season? You're more likely to see a 30 point win than a 3 point win it seems.
            Unfortunately, that seems to be the case in every level of women's basketball - there's a handful of teams that can just beat the hell out of other teams they play mercilessly. I can't even watch a Top 3-5 collegiate women's team against anybody - they always win by more than 30 pts. Not the parity you see in the guys' game.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

Comment

If Women's College Basketball could go to 13 scholarships instead of the 15 they have now it would spread out the talent and make the game so much better. However, its never going to happen because of Title IX...

High School Girls has gotten out of hand. There are multiple instances of teams scoring less than 10 points. Hell, Waterloo East got beat 72-3 one night and had other games of 6, 7, 9, 11, and 13 points...
              #MACtion

Comment

I would like to know why 30 or so years ago we had about half again more schools competing in Iowa high school basketball and had one class and one champion. Now....5 classes? Back then, the championship was something that every athlete dreamed of and few achieved. Now, the way things are going, we will eventually have about 150 classes, so that all it takes is one win and you are a champion. When it is diluted as it is, these championships mean very little. After all, I believe 15 out of the 40 teams in the girls championships had to only win 2 games in sectionals, etc. to get to Des Moines.....Wow--what an achievement. Don't think too long about this one----the almighty $ is behind this all the way.

Comment

I was getting pretty concerned about upper lip wrinkles, so thank you for this post.

Comment

Working...
                  X