Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Women's Sports

Panther Women's Sports Discuss all things related to Panther women's sports.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Default Tennis Courts

I see that UNI is getting new tennis courts. 2 questions:
What is going to happen with the current courts?
Will this be an outdoor facility exclusively?
Thanks...
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Panthers to the Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
EVSPanther

Default Re: Tennis Courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
I see that UNI is getting new tennis courts. 2 questions:
What is going to happen with the current courts?
Will this be an outdoor facility exclusively?
Thanks...
I'm guessing it's outdoors only. Guessing only though. I'd think Chris wouldn't want to take it away from the Club, but could be wrong. I'd be curious if it is open for public use or not as I would selfishly love to use it! 😀
EVSPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

I see that it's a $1.5 million build, with CF schools, CF City, and Blackhawk gaming money being involved. That just seemed fairly expensive for outdoor courts...but I haven't priced them recently!
The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
panthergirl123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVSPanther View Post
I'm guessing it's outdoors only. Guessing only though. I'd think Chris wouldn't want to take it away from the Club, but could be wrong. I'd be curious if it is open for public use or not as I would selfishly love to use it! 😀
According to the Waterloo Courier, the new tennis courts will be shared between UNI and Cedar Falls schools and the public is also welcome to use them. The old tennis courts will be turned into green space.
panthergirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthergirl123 View Post
According to the Waterloo Courier, the new tennis courts will be shared between UNI and Cedar Falls schools and the public is also welcome to use them. The old tennis courts will be turned into green space.
The old courts referenced in the article to become green space are those at the Robinson-Dresser complex on 12th near Birdsall Park ... are there any courts left on campus?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfitch View Post
The old courts referenced in the article to become green space are those at the Robinson-Dresser complex on 12th near Birdsall Park ... are there any courts left on campus?
Right off of Hudson Rd by the Towers.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
achrist70

I assumed the ones by the towers were the ones becoming the green space, that would make the most sense considering these new ones would only be a few hundred yards away.
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
ronfitch
UNI Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by achrist70 View Post
I assumed the ones by the towers were the ones becoming the green space, that would make the most sense considering these new ones would only be a few hundred yards away.
It is actually a joint project between the city, CF Schools and UNI to replace the Robinson-Dresser courts, at least according to this story:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/edu...5f8bce619.html

From looking at the Women's Tennis information on the unipanthers.com site, it looks like they hosted meets in Waterloo last season. Did they practice at Robinson-Dresser or the courts by the towers?

(If you are old - like me - or grew up playing on the UNI campus as a kid - again, me - you will remember the courts on the hill west of the PEC and where the Curris Business Building now stands ... the ones behind the PEC were windy but great for late night/early morning tennis and such and the ones where Curris now stands were the best on campus, IMO).

Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
BCPanther
PN Crusader

They've played all of their home matches indoors in Waterloo for quite a few years now. They may have used Byrnes Park in Waterloo as well.

This is long overdue. Next up as far as non-major projects has to be an outdoor artificial surface that soccer can use for game and football can use so they don't have to go to Waverly all the time.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #10
Panthers to the Bone
PN's Resident Schwab

Is the new facility indoors or outdoors?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
panthergirl123

None of the articles I have read mention whether it is outdoors or indoors. It seems more logical that they will be outdoor courts. Also, it looks like it will total up to 8 or 9 courts at the new location.
panthergirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote