WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes need to be made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes need to be made?

I hope that Harris reads these threads.

Comment

All of the issues listed all come down to the offensive line.

At this point we have the quarterback. The running back has skill moving forward in Weymiller and Browning. The WR position is solid. There is skill at TE if we want to actually use it. The defense will never be a concern.

I don't know what needs to happen but there needs to be a dramatic shift in the OL. The offense we've been trying to run since Rennie relies more on leaner/more agile OL. Well, now that it appears (thankfully/hopefully) that system is gone we are trying to play a LOS control game with 280lb OL. Go back to 310-315 pound maulers. They don't have to be technically skilled, just get some mean mother f-ers on the LOS and let them beat the hell out of the DL. Austin Steichen was a great center, but "technically" wasn't that great. He was just a big/bad son of a gun that wanted to hurt the person across from him. Austin Howard? He was nimble from playing TE, but didn't have fantastic footwork at UNI. He was just a monster wanting to decapitate some people. Then we can get under center, throw a full back in there and just piss pound people like we used too. Then let Dunne get into gun, or play action out, and chuck that pig skin to Rima, James, Fountain, etc...

That's the biggest difference between 05-09 and right now. We wanted to get cute, so we recruited "cute" offensive lineman and trained them that way. That isn't how Iowa kids grow up playing OL in high school. Even our current OL would be better if they'd get to 315 at tackle and 320 inside. Why? Harder to move than 285-290. As BC said, all they have to do is "lean on" people. Get the size and then we can use our strength program to get them to move people.

Comment

I agree...however all Farley wants to recruit is smaller guys, 230-240lbs, with the hopes that they get bigger each year or are versatile...in reality our training staff and budget cannot work miracles or provide them with the supplements to get them there. Farley makes all of the decisions on offers to kids and has been denied some serious talent because we've waited to long to recruit them or don't want to spend the money to get a really really good kid that ends up going D1 and not playing. Time to invest where we need it...o-line and special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPanther007 View Post
          I agree...however all Farley wants to recruit is smaller guys, 230-240lbs, with the hopes that they get bigger each year or are versatile...in reality our training staff and budget cannot work miracles or provide them with the supplements to get them there. Farley makes all of the decisions on offers to kids and has been denied some serious talent because we've waited to long to recruit them or don't want to spend the money to get a really really good kid that ends up going D1 and not playing. Time to invest where we need it...o-line and special teams.
          Dear Mr. Knowledge,

We are D1.

Thanks
          "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Outside of Spencer Brown from this years roster how many OL have come in under 260-270?

Even looking at Brown he is listed at OL, but is #90 and was clearly a TE and DE in high school so I suppose the goal is to bulk him up. The other freshman this year were 260 and 307. redshirt freshman are all in the 280s or 290s. A decade ago guys came in at 280-290 and moved to 310-320. Now they come in at 280 and get to 295, mayb 305, and we seem to stop. Sweeny was the only on over 307 on this years roster. That needs to change. Go back a decade and there was only 1 or 2 under 305

Comment

I have heard Farley say the exact opposite. That he knows we need bigger o-linemen.

I'm also not sure that it's true that Farley "doesn't' want" to spend the money - Farley is having to make some very tough decisions on where his budget goes because it continues to shrink from where it used to be.

Since I have heard him talk about the line this year, maybe he will reallocate more of his budget to that position now. Time will tell.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                I have heard Farley say the exact opposite. That he knows we need bigger o-linemen.

I'm also not sure that it's true that Farley "doesn't' want" to spend the money - Farley is having to make some very tough decisions on where his budget goes because it continues to shrink from where it used to be.

Since I have heard him talk about the line this year, maybe he will reallocate more of his budget to that position now. Time will tell.

Has the football budget shrunk in terms of real dollars? Or only in percentage of Athletic Department expenditures? Or portion of institutional budget? Or in comparison with other schools?

It seems that other sports have seen increases which I assumed came from the largess of football. I'm surprised to hear that the football budget might actually be shrinking.

Comment

Here is a positive, we really only lose about 6 seniors who were big contributors at the end of the season, Schult, Rathje, Hanson, Dexter, Malloy and Whiting. Schult was our best player this year, but I think our DL depth increases immensely next year, we had a big DL recruiting class this year, and I would assume that Reth will come back next year. Rathje was our best lineman and Hanson was always serviceable but nothing special, if we put an emphasis on improving the OL next year we may not even miss these two next year, hopefully a Cal Twait going into the offseason relatively health makes big stride something we didn't see. Bryce Sweeny should be back, Appleman is back and Jackson Scott Brown played quite a bit down the stretch. DeShawn Dexter did everything well, but I am excited for Blake Thomas to get his chance at that spot, but overall LB depth is a little concerning. Malloy played with a lot of heart and was effective in many ways, hopefully Browning, Allen, and Graham can fill that spot. Finally Whiting was a player who never seemed to get better through his four years here, played as a true freshman then was beat out for 2 years, and as a senior was beat a lot on the field, I think Washington, Campbell, and Allen were all good this year, filling that 4th spot will be key.

Comment

Put the nameplates back on the uniforms. Heck, that should be a rule for all of FCS ball. It just makes it look like two highschool teams out there without them.

Comment

If the team really is divided, having a lot of guys returning may not help the W/L much.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post
                        Put the nameplates back on the uniforms. Heck, that should be a rule for all of FCS ball. It just makes it look like two highschool teams out there without them.
                        I can totally see how that has prevented NDSU from achieving what so many here want to happen

FCS bracket selections: NDSU to pursue sixth straight title, but plenty of challengers persist

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                          I can totally see how that has prevented NDSU from achieving what so many here want to happen

FCS bracket selections: NDSU to pursue sixth straight title, but plenty of challengers persist
                          Yup, that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying my point for me.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                            Malloy played with a lot of heart and was effective in many ways, hopefully Browning, Allen, and Graham can fill that spot.
                            At RB, I was impressed with Trevor Allen catching the ball out of the backfield when UNI ran the offense which included passes to the RBs. A couple of drops, but also some very nice catches and runs after making the catch. He still has three years of eligibility.

Add to it, Marcus Weymiller is listed as a WR, but was explosive to and through the hole when running. I really like that he is a north-south runner - few yards lost to trying to go side-to-side, just kept going forward from the games I was able to see. He was an all-state running back in high school. Seems like a shift to the backfield would be something they would consider (with Fountain, Rima and James, there is already a serious trio at WR). Or as a slot receiver.
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
                              At RB, I was impressed with Trevor Allen catching the ball out of the backfield when UNI ran the offense which included passes to the RBs. A couple of drops, but also some very nice catches and runs after making the catch. He still has three years of eligibility.

Add to it, Marcus Weymiller is listed as a WR, but was explosive to and through the hole when running. I really like that he is a north-south runner - few yards lost to trying to go side-to-side, just kept going forward from the games I was able to see. He was an all-state running back in high school. Seems like a shift to the backfield would be something they would consider (with Fountain, Rima and James, there is already a serious trio at WR). Or as a slot receiver.
                              Agreed. Weymiller seems to run straight and break numerous tackles/fall forward despite being a smaller "back".

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

I see we are advertising online for an asst coach position, any news on which coach has left the staff?

Comment

Working...
                                X