WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017-18 Predictions for fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Predictions for fun

Champs in 2018 - Predictions. UNI
    125 - Surianno PSU Schwarm Q
    133 - Tomaselli OSU Alber 8th
    141 - Heil - Ok St Koethe R16
    149 - Retherford PSU Thomsen 3rd
    157 - Nolf PSU
    165 - Imar Ill Steiert 8th
    174 - Valencia ASU Lujan 7th
    184 - Nickal PSU Foster 4th
    197 - Moore OSU Holslog R12
    Hwt - Snyder OSU Isley R12

UNI scores 63 pts and finishes in Top 10

Re: 2017-18 Predictions for fun

Originally posted by RC Panther View Post
    Champs in 2018 - Predictions. UNI
    125 - Surianno PSU Schwarm Q
    133 - Tomaselli OSU Alber 8th
    141 - Heil - Ok St Koethe R16
    149 - Retherford PSU Thomsen 3rd
    157 - Nolf PSU
    165 - Imar Ill Steiert 8th
    174 - Valencia ASU Lujan 7th
    184 - Nickal PSU Foster 4th
    197 - Moore OSU Holslog R12
    Hwt - Snyder OSU Isley R12

UNI scores 63 pts and finishes in Top 10
    If UNI can get 9 qualifiers, that alone would be fantastic.

Koethe and Schwarm are question marks for me, as would be Holschlag again at 197. Koethe needs to show that he can stay healthy and wrestle an entire year, Schwarm needs to build confidence and show that he can win more consistently against MAC good to better-than-good competition. That's not to say that I think Schwarm is a bad wrestler, but he had some head-scratching losses this year. Part of that might be that he didn't know when he would or wouldn't wrestle, so that part of it might be fixed right away.

As for Holschlag don't forget that UNI has Tyler Hoffman coming in at 197 too. Hoffman redshirted this season. That should be a battle between the two, but I think Holschlag is the odd-man out now between Lujan, Foster, and Hoffman, which is really too bad, but you have to have depth at weights as well as solid starters. If Holschlag is the man at 197 he'll have to improve DRASTICALLY on his feet, as opponents won't go down against him (like his first round opponent did at the NCAA's last weekend) anymore. Bulking up and developing a shot that will work against men mostly bigger than him are probably the two things he'll work on most during the summer.

I really think Alber, Steiert, and Lujan make the stand next season, and Thomsen and Foster move up on theirs. If Foster can make another off-season jump, he might be in the national championship match next season. There can't be any other wrestler in the country who made as big a jump as he did.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post
      If UNI can get 9 qualifiers, that alone would be fantastic.

Koethe and Schwarm are question marks for me, as would be Holschlag again at 197. Koethe needs to show that he can stay healthy and wrestle an entire year, Schwarm needs to build confidence and show that he can win more consistently against MAC good to better-than-good competition. That's not to say that I think Schwarm is a bad wrestler, but he had some head-scratching losses this year. Part of that might be that he didn't know when he would or wouldn't wrestle, so that part of it might be fixed right away.

As for Holschlag don't forget that UNI has Tyler Hoffman coming in at 197 too. Hoffman redshirted this season. That should be a battle between the two, but I think Holschlag is the odd-man out now between Lujan, Foster, and Hoffman, which is really too bad, but you have to have depth at weights as well as solid starters. If Holschlag is the man at 197 he'll have to improve DRASTICALLY on his feet, as opponents won't go down against him (like his first round opponent did at the NCAA's last weekend) anymore. Bulking up and developing a shot that will work against men mostly bigger than him are probably the two things he'll work on most during the summer.

I really think Alber, Steiert, and Lujan make the stand next season, and Thomsen and Foster move up on theirs. If Foster can make another off-season jump, he might be in the national championship match next season. There can't be any other wrestler in the country who made as big a jump as he did.
      I've always followed wrestling from afar, but the last few years, especially this year, have me super excited for the program. To see all the young faces making splashes, and the guys coming in behind them. It's a ton of fun to watch right now.

Comment

Another thing to consider in next years line up is Rudy Yates. Where does he fit in? Does he make the cut to 125? Does Alber move up to 141 to make room? Or does he ride the pine? Depth is a good thing to have.

Comment

Rudy Yates is listed as a 125lber, and I was wondering the same thing, if he makes the lineup there.

To me the only kids who have a spot wrapped up in the lineup are Alber, Thomsen, Steiert, Lujan, and Foster. I don't know if Alber would be good at 141 as he hasn't ever seemed like a big 133 to me.

Comment

Well I saw Yates wrestled most if not all the open tournaments at 133. But then again most guys wrestle up a weight when they're redshirting. Iirc he wrestle 132 his senior year in high school also. Alber looks really strong for 133 so the move up for him might not be too bad depending on his weight. Those first 3 weights will be something to keep an eye on going into next year. Maybe the IAWrestling guys have some more info on this?

Comment

Yates is at 125. I talked to a couple of the coaches throughout this past year and they have said that he is 125. Alber not big enough for 141. Hopefully Koethe can recover and break through mentally to over come 2 acl surgeries.

Comment

Albers is plenty big for 141, if he lifts over the next 6-7 months, no problem, Scharmmy is a winner period, from what I watched this past season Horschlag is head and shoulders better than Hoffman, best line up has Yates at 133 and Albers at 141. If Yates is having issues getting at 125 this year, how in goodness sakes is it going to be easier next year? As I recall Yates bumped a couple of weights for Fargo as a senior and did quite well, Doug is sold on yates being very good, and very good next season, just not certain it will be at 125.

Comment

Originally posted by panther2454 View Post
                  Another thing to consider in next years line up is Rudy Yates. Where does he fit in? Does he make the cut to 125? Does Alber move up to 141 to make room? Or does he ride the pine? Depth is a good thing to have.
                  I saw somewhere that Alber wanted to move up to 141 this year and I know Yates was having trouble making 125, so that might be what ends up happening.

Comment

Looking ahead, here are the number of returning AAs and Top 8 finishers in the MAC for next year:
                    NCAA MAC top 8
                    125-5-- 7
                    133-5-- 7
                    141-7-- 8
                    149-5-- 5
                    157-6-- 6
                    165-7-- 7
                    174-4-- 4
                    184-4-- 6
                    197-4-- 4
                    Hwt-4-- 7
                    Last edited by Unionpanther; 04-04-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know who was winning in the wrestling room between Isley and a healthy JJ?

Comment

I was told the student had become the master towards the end of the season.

Comment

Bringing this thread back too. There's going to be a shake up at the lower weights, which everyone kind of had a feeling was coming anyway.

Linky

Schwarm takes over 125 full-time, Yates at 133, and Alber goes to 141.

Comment

Coach said the Panthers will wrestle at Okie State this year. Return trip in 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Unionpanther View Post
                              Coach said the Panthers will wrestle at Okie State this year. Return trip in 2 years?
                              A UNI return to Stillwater in two years, or a Okie State return in two years?

I think it becomes a home-home series, especially if the Big 12 steps up in regards to scheduling. If it's not a home-home series, I would expect Okie State to come to CF next year, not in two, but I don't actually know anything about the deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X