Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Basketball

Panther Men's Basketball Discuss all things related to Panther men's basketball.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #141
06panther10
Bleeds Purple

Default Re: Up Next: Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoCat View Post
Where does 2004 come from? This is the worst team UNI has put on the floor since at least pre Eldon Miller days. They still have a chance for a better record than a couple of Sam Weaver teams, but they play worse than any team I've ever seen. They have had 15-20 point deficits in the first half of every conference game and most of the non-conference. They are the worst team in the MVC by a long shot.

The very strong defense which up until this year could always keep us in any game no matter how bad we were offensively is gone. We are terrible on defense. On offense we are worse than ever, no one knows how to shoot the ball through the hoop, which should be a requirement for a DI college bb scholarship.

I know fully well they are not as bad skill wise as they have played. Their problems are 90% mental. Jake needs to start recruiting some kids with mental toughness, none of these players have it.

But I remain optimistic that they will win another game sometime this year. Probably not this next game, which will really set this board off, losing at home to Drake. I've seen nothing thus far that leads me to believe we can win against Drake, which is a much better team at this point.

No someday the players will remember how to shoot, how to play defense, and the stars will align just right and we will win a game, but it could be another 3-4 weeks.

Historically bad by any measure.
This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck
06panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #142
UNIdad
UNIdaughter fan and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherlope2019 View Post
I'm with you on playing Phyfe. My starting five would be Carlson, Phyfe, Brown, W. Lohaus, and Haldeman. Adding Pickford and McDermott would also help the outside shooting problem.

One thing Phyfe has going for him is that he is already so close to the team. And his family members are such big UNI supporters. I imagine he knows quite a lot about Jake's coaching already. It isn't like he has to wait to start learning until he comes to campus.
UNIdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #143
Pantherlope2019
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIdad View Post
One thing Phyfe has going for him is that he is already so close to the team. And his family members are such big UNI supporters. I imagine he knows quite a lot about Jake's coaching already. It isn't like he has to wait to start learning until he comes to campus.
I have seen one Waverly game this season. The Phyfe kid looks agile with good shooting. We need a post that can rebound and shot. It's quite a bit to expect him to start next season, but judging by what has happened it would be possible. Another problem we need to solve is quickness. Although the zone press has helped the guards are taken off the dribble and are having problems closing out on the arc. I would like us to zone press/trap more because it would delay the opponent from getting into their set half court offense. Getting a turnover out of the press would lead to easier baskets as well.

Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-16-2017 at 02:12 AM.
Pantherlope2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #144
unifan

On a side note... no thread for tomorrow yet?
unifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #145
Pantherlope2019
Banned

I've said many times this slower team needs to play more zone. They could play the extended version of the 2-3 or the box and 1. This way the dribble penetration could be contained and the guards can match up to the perimeter better than the packed in version of zone defense. Zone defense makes rebounding more difficult, but this team can't rebound out of the man to man defense.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #146
hoopfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
It would. The one thing that Knar transferring and getting Ashton did was put a second scholarship in this class and getting one out of the year after. Pushing Wyatt back a year helps there too. Here's what the scholarship chart looks like with Wyatt's redshirt and I'll assume we get a wing that plays right away (I'll full on jinx it and put Pickford in)

Seniors (Class of 18)
Carlson RS
Friedman RS
Koch RS
Rhodes

Juniors (Class of 19)
W Lohaus RS

Sophomores (Class of 20)
Brown
Dahl RS
Haldeman RS
McCloud
McDermott RS (W/o next year, scholarship year after)
McDonnell RS

Freshmen (Class of 21)
T Lohaus RS
Phyfe
Pickford

McDermott could be pulled off scholarship for 1 year for a grad transfer.

We're still way unbalanced, but it's getting better but redshirting Phyfe does throw another scholarship into the class that already has 4 in it. I'm the end, you do what's best for the player no matter what it does to your scholarship situation.
I thought McDermott was walking on here? I hope they don't use a scholarship on another guy who is appears to only be a catch and shoot threat.
hoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #147
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopfan View Post
I thought McDermott was walking on here? I hope they don't use a scholarship on another guy who is appears to only be a catch and shoot threat.
I was curious about this too. I thought he was walking on and had a chance to earn a scholarship. Surely he can't earn it during a RS year? We recently made an offer for a 2017 scholarship, isn't that the only one open?
Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #148
sevelev711

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCarp View Post
I was curious about this too. I thought he was walking on and had a chance to earn a scholarship. Surely he can't earn it during a RS year? We recently made an offer for a 2017 scholarship, isn't that the only one open?
Correct, he's walking on. Or at least, some one is. If we do get Pickford or Sasha, we'd be at 13 scholarships if he walked on. If we don't get one of those two, we could hold out for another transfer or just give it to him.
sevelev711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #149
achrist70

His uncle can pay his way
achrist70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #150
Pantherlope2019
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
We'll agree to disagree here. Eldon had some really bad teams, including one that didn't make the league tournament before the Valley started taking everybody. We're much more talented than most of Eldon's time here and light years ahead of Mac's first two years.

This year is an aberration.
I would argue that Eldon's 1989-1990 team was better than all of Greg McDermot's (Northern Iowa) teams and is on par with Jake's 2014-15 team. Miller's 89-90 team had a solid 10 man rotation of Steve Phyfe, Jason Reese, Cedric McCulla, Troy Mullenberg, Dale Turner, Brad Hill, Marice Newby, Cam Johnson, Nick Pace, and Johnathon Cox. The 1989-90 team lost by 3 in the round of 32 to a Minnesota team that lost to Georgia Tech by 3 in the Elite 8 game. Eldon's team (89-90), was a tough man to man defensive team that could rebound and defend the perimeter. That team was sound in every other phase of the game as well. The Miller team that was left out of St. Louis was in 1994-95. I think they managed 9 wins for the season though. I would take Eldon over Jake if you combine his entire tenure of Wittenburg College, W. Michigan, Ohio State, and Northern Iowa. Eldon went 5-6 in the NCAA tournament (6 appearances). Eldon made the round of sixteen twice in 1980 and 1983. Greg has made the round of sixteen twice with Creighton and I would consider him on par with Eldon. I understand that Eldon continues to be an assistant at D2 UNC Pembroke with his son.

Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-17-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #151
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherlope2019 View Post
I would argue that Eldon's 1989-1990 team was better than all of Greg McDermot's (Northern Iowa) teams and is on par with Jake's 2014-15 team. Miller's 89-90 team had a solid 10 man rotation of Steve Phyfe, Jason Reese, Cedric McCulla, Troy Mullenberg, Dale Turner, Brad Hill, Marice Newby, Cam Johnson, Nick Pace, and Johnathon Cox. The 1989-90 team lost by 3 in the round of 32 to a Minnesota team that lost to Georgia Tech by 3 in the Elite 8 game. Eldon's team (89-90), was a tough man to man defensive team that could rebound and defend the perimeter. That team was sound in every other phase of the game as well. The Miller team that was left out of St. Louis was in 1993-94. I think they managed 9 wins for the season though. I would take Eldon over Jake if you combine his entire tenure of Wittenburg College, W. Michigan, Ohio State, and Northern Iowa. Eldon went 5-6 in the NCAA tournament (6 appearances). Eldon made the round of sixteen twice in 1980 and 1983. Greg has made the round of sixteen twice with Creighton and I would consider him on par with Eldon. I understand that Eldon continues to be an assistant at D2 UNC Pembroke with his son.
That team finished 3rd in the AMCU but hosted the conference tourney and rode three unbelievable games to the NCAA. The 1995 Eldon Miller Panthers finished tied for 9th (8-20, 4-14) and did not make the MVC Tournament, his last team finished in 9th at 4-14 in conference, 10-17 overall. Sam Weaver's three teams were T-8th, 7th and 10th. McDermott's first two teams were 7th place and we have been t-5th or better ever since.
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #152
Pantherlope2019
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan4Cats View Post
That team finished 3rd in the AMCU but hosted the conference tourney and rode three unbelievable games to the NCAA. The 1995 Eldon Miller Panthers finished tied for 9th (8-20, 4-14) and did not make the MVC Tournament, his last team finished in 9th at 4-14 in conference, 10-17 overall. Sam Weaver's three teams were T-8th, 7th and 10th. McDermott's first two teams were 7th place and we have been t-5th or better ever since.
I thought Sam Weaver coached 2 seasons, 1999-2001, but both teams struggled miserably?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #153
Pantherlope2019
Banned

I looked it up. Weaver coached UNI 3 seasons 1998-2001 with a record of 30-57. He was an assistant at Mississippi State under coach Stansbury. Not sure where he is now.

Last edited by Pantherlope2019; 01-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #154
Bookin' Panther

I Googled Sam's name and found that he is currently in his second year of coaching at Philander Smith College, an NAIA school at Little Rock, Arkansas.
Bookin' Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #155
UNIGrainer

So Evansville was beating Wichita by 3 and I went to Shockernet to see how they were handling it.

It was a mistake. Man that is an annoying group of humans. Half the thread is crapping on Evansville and the MVC. My goodness get over yourselves.

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

Yup, its the league's fault that you're losing to Evansville.

Just had to rant a little.
UNIGrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #156
CyCarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIGrainer View Post
So Evansville was beating Wichita by 3 and I went to Shockernet to see how they were handling it.

It was a mistake. Man that is an annoying group of humans. Half the thread is crapping on Evansville and the MVC. My goodness get over yourselves.

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

One of the biggest bunch of crybabies in sports.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #157
sevelev711

Quote:

"AAC or Independent

I'm done"

"We need to move conferences, it's definitely the conference's fault that we choke in the auto-bid tourney. We move to a more competitive conference, and we lose more games, that'll put us in a better spot."

They sure are a whiny bunch for a team that consistently makes the tournament.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #158
Khan4Cats
The Great Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevelev711 View Post
"We need to move conferences, it's definitely the conference's fault that we choke in the auto-bid tourney. We move to a more competitive conference, and we lose more games, that'll put us in a better spot."

They sure are a whiny bunch for a team that consistently makes the tournament.
And they end up winning by 17.

Probably still whining.
Khan4Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #159
UNIGrainer

The funny thing is, Wichita has been in the last five NCAA Tournaments. They've been a #1 seed once. They've been to the Final Four. They've gotten four at-large bids in five years.

What exactly is the league costing them?
UNIGrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #160
sevelev711

Quote:
The funny thing is, Wichita has been in the last five NCAA Tournaments. They've been a #1 seed once. They've been to the Final Four. They've gotten four at-large bids in five years.

What exactly is the league costing them?
Well OBVIOUSLY they should've been the number one seed every year! They're the only team to ever been seeded incorrectly in the history of the tournament. INJUSTICE!