WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI offers Doug McDermott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI offers Doug McDermott

Wonder if Doug will follow in fathers footsteps.....

Re: UNI offers Doug McDermott

I have also wondered if he would want to play for Mac at ISU. If I was in Doug's shoes, I do not think I would want to play at ISU, especially since if things to not turn around, my dad might not be there my entire college career. That is a gamble a player takes with every coach but it is very different when it is your father. I have heard Doug is a great kid, so I hope he gives UNI a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Earl
      1. I hope he is good enough to warrant an offer and isn't getting it just because of his last name. Does he have any other D1 offers?

2. I go back to the concern I had over this possibility when UNI flew him and his family to the NCAA tourney, and provided good tickets I assume as well, hope that doesn't come back to bite us as a recruiting violation. I don't pretend to understand the rules, but to me it would be a clear and major one. Doesn't make any difference if they "paid their own way", that is a very valuable trip far beyond whatever "cost" they may have assigned to it. I know that deal wasn't offered to me, was it offered to anyone else other than Purple Reign?

3. If he could persuade his teammate, the Barnes kid, to come to UNI as well it would be well worth it. Yes, I know there is zero chance of that, but if ISU and Iowa fans can act like they still have a shot at him why not UNI. We have been the best team in the state this century after all.
      Earl---To be clear, my wife and I paid all expenses for our trip with the team to Portland, that includes air, hotel and meals. We did have press credentials for my wife's publication, but that's it.
      You don't break out the Purple and Gold on game days or look for special gifts and gadgets bearing the colors because you want to be seen among the loyal. Purple and Gold aren't colors you see---they're colors you feel. They run through your veins with a continuous roar.

Ya Gotta Believe

Comment

iowa fans dont act like they have a shot at barnes, and ISU fans DO have a shot at barnes.

i dont think little mac is big-12 caliber but he will be a mid-major contributor down the road. not a immediate star.
        Last edited by 9YRPLAN; 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Reign View Post
          Earl---To be clear, my wife and I paid all expenses for our trip with the team to Portland, that includes air, hotel and meals. We did have press credentials for my wife's publication, but that's it.
          PR - I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with you being on the plane. You are a valuable AD employee or contractor and your wife has emeritus status. I only mentioned you because I was pretty sure you were on the trip, having seen you on TV at the airport, and was asking if anyone else was. As far as I'm concerned the AD could have paid your way and it would have been fine. You are not currently a recruit however.

panther23 - Your comment "let that aspect of it go" makes me wonder if you aren't a little worried about it as well. Well, I'm not planning on reporting it to the NCAA, hopefully I'm off base and nothing ever comes of it, but I'd be surprised if that was perfectly okay by their rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Earl
            PR - I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with you being on the plane. You are a valuable AD employee or contractor and your wife has emeritus status. I only mentioned you because I was pretty sure you were on the trip, having seen you on TV at the airport, and was asking if anyone else was. As far as I'm concerned the AD could have paid your way and it would have been fine. You are not currently a recruit however.

panther23 - Your comment "let that aspect of it go" makes me wonder if you aren't a little worried about it as well. Well, I'm not planning on reporting it to the NCAA, hopefully I'm off base and nothing ever comes of it, but I'd be surprised if that was perfectly okay by their rules.
            I understand. No offense taken. Thanks for the clarification. Just to clear it up a little more---I'm not a UNI employee or contractor, just a volunteer. I've learned over the years that some assume that I am paid for my Athletic Department activities. Not so. It's been my favorite volunteer position for 33 years.

PR
            You don't break out the Purple and Gold on game days or look for special gifts and gadgets bearing the colors because you want to be seen among the loyal. Purple and Gold aren't colors you see---they're colors you feel. They run through your veins with a continuous roar.

Ya Gotta Believe

Comment

I would think it could fall under the NO off-campus contacts during junior year.
              Definition "Contact - A contact is any fact-to-face encounter between a prospect of the prospect's parents, relatives or legal guardian(s) and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Any such face-to-face encounter that is prearranged (e.g. positions himself/herself in a location where contact is possible) or that...... shall be considered a contact, regardless of whether any conversation occurs.

Comment

i honestly disagree. i dont think he will go to ISU (duke or KU), but he seems like the type of level-headed and independent person that can make his own decision and decide to be a program-changer. he isn't tied to a street agent, a dirty AAU coach, or in a terrible family situation.

Comment

Coach Mac thinks it was uncomfortable coaching against his former players and his alma mater. Imagine if his son played for us...
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Given the public nature of the NCAA trip, the attention to detail of both Coach Ben/Coach Greg and out own compliance personnel I would be very, very surprised if this was not cleared both with the high school coach, the IHSAA and the NCAA before the decision was made for Doug to make the trip. And yes, the family paid for every single item...travel, meals, events etc. They sat in the UNI fan section along with the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Reign View Post
                      I understand. No offense taken. Thanks for the clarification. Just to clear it up a little more---I'm not a UNI employee or contractor, just a volunteer. I've learned over the years that some assume that I am paid for my Athletic Department activities. Not so. It's been my favorite volunteer position for 33 years.

PR
                      I did not know that. I assumed you received something, not much of course, but something. My respect for you was already pretty high, but it just went up.

Comment

I think that this would be a good pick up for us. He is a quality player that knows the game. He knows the coaching staff, and he lived in Cedar Falls for a good part of his life, so in a way it is his hometown, and something like 78% of Cedar Falls grads go to UNI (guesstimate but it probably isn't that far off).

My only question is could he get any teammates to come along with him!

Comment

Originally posted by Pantherwoman View Post
                          And yes, the family paid for every single item...travel, meals, events etc. They sat in the UNI fan section along with the rest of us.
                          But was there a face-to-face encounter between a prospect (Doug) or Dougs parents and an institutional staff member or athletics represetative during which any dialogue occured in excess of an exchange of a greeting?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Comment

I saw him play a couple of times at the tournament last year and I would say he definitely has the talent. I really didn't understand why he wasn't a starter, his nack for being around the ball reminded me a little of Fred Hoiberg. I do think it would be a little weird to play against your dad, may be a concern.

Comment

Do also realize that Jake and Doug have a prior relationship for most of Doug's life. His family is a 'friend' of the UNI family (if not part of the UNI family). Therefore, there shouldn't be any issues with him riding on a plane as a paid attendee with other paid attendees.
                              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                              X