WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scholarship Kicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship Kicker

I don't believe we usually give out scholarships to kickers, would it be worthwhile to offer a full ride to a really good kicker?

Re: Scholarship Kicker

We did it for Schmadeke didn't we?

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
      We did it for Schmadeke didn't we?
      I think later in his career, I'm talking about going out and offering a high school kid. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI-Panthers-32 View Post
        I think later in his career, I'm talking about going out and offering a high school kid. I could be wrong though.
        I thought I remember him saying he chose UNI because they were willing to give him an unusually large financial aid package for a kicker. Could be wrong on that.

I'm also not sure he ever made it to "full ride" but he was certainly on scholarship to an extent.

Comment

I'm guessing the same scholarship pattern has been followed that has been followed for the last 15 years and the last 15 years has produced

Hoambrecker
          Wingert
          Hallgren
          Sievertsen
          Schmadeke

So....I'm guessing this is bad luck more than anything with kickers not developing. That doesn't make it suck less.

Comment

I think Errthum may end up being a very good kicker.

We may have thrown him out there a little early. But I think there's a lot of potential there.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Maybe I'll be jumped all over for this, but...
              Is kicking really a high "potential" position? Take me, for instance. I have no potential to be a point guard. None. I never did. I'm not quick - not athletic in that sense.
              What percent of the male population, if you gave them training from childhood, would be able to become a D1 point guard? Has to be very low - less than 1%. Same with running back.
              What percent of the male population, if you gave them training from childhood, would be able to become a D1 Field Goal kicker? I always imagine that it's probably 50%. Mainly you have to have a pretty strong leg and ability to be precise while flexible with odd ball placements (both of which would take a LOT of repetition).
              Like the unicycle girl who tosses bowls onto her head. A lot of people could learn to do it-but few would take the time/effort.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                Maybe I'll be jumped all over for this, but...
                Is kicking really a high "potential" position? Take me, for instance. I have no potential to be a point guard. None. I never did. I'm not quick - not athletic in that sense.
                What percent of the male population, if you gave them training from childhood, would be able to become a D1 point guard? Has to be very low - less than 1%. Same with running back.
                What percent of the male population, if you gave them training from childhood, would be able to become a D1 Field Goal kicker? I always imagine that it's probably 50%. Mainly you have to have a pretty strong leg and ability to be precise while flexible with odd ball placements (both of which would take a LOT of repetition).
                Like the unicycle girl who tosses bowls onto her head. A lot of people could learn to do it-but few would take the time/effort.

Am I wrong?
                Not entirely wrong, though I would argue the 50% number is probably high. I'd liken it to golf, specifically putting.

With enough reps over years chances are most would be pretty good inside of 10 feet, probably to the point most could get their average inside of 10 feet to between 2.25-2.5 putts. However, to "make it" in golf that average would need to be closer to 1.2-1.5 at worst. There is a ton of "nuance" that is very difficult to learn.

There is still a "skill" to being able to hit the ball just right to get the right trajectory, power, height, etc... on a consistent basis. The margin of error is very small - less than a 1/4" inch when it comes to foot placement on the ball on kicks outside of about 30 yards. Kickers aim to hit it right down the middle, thus (thanks to google) we know that they have just 3.8 degree of angle to play with.

It's akin to your putter head being at a 3 degree angle at time of impact with the ball as opposed to square. You couldn't teach 99% of the population the difference between 3 degree if you had both right in front of their face.

For reference, this is 3* of angle
                Last edited by claw; 10-08-2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  I think Errthum may end up being a very good kicker.

We may have thrown him out there a little early. But I think there's a lot of potential there.
                  We may end up finding that out sooner rather than later as Easley didn't travel to SD

Comment

it's also not just the physical nature of kicking. you also have to have the right mindset.

First off, unlike a QB or a RB, where you can get into a rhythm, as a kicker, you spend most of the game on the sideline, then get called in, quite often in crucial high-pressure situations, and you get just one attempt to accomplish a fairly difficult task.

Comment

Sounds like Easley has left the team

Comment

Originally posted by otter View Post
                        I was told this as well.
                        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Problem is that neither of them is any good.
                          Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Farley confirmed this at the press luncheon today

Comment

Not good. One pulled groin injury away from Schult taking over KO.

Sent from my NSA monitored One+ 3

Comment

Working...
                              X