WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xavier at the Shrine Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier at the Shrine Bowl

A couple notes from http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/201...t-shrine-game/

Top Performer, West Defense: Xavier Williams, DT, Northern Iowa

There were at least five defensive linemen who made a real case for being the Shrine Game’s best player this week, but my vote goes to Northern Iowa defensive tackle Xavier Williams.

Williams stood out all week, both in practices and in Saturday’s game, for his quickness off the snap. He was consistently the first player into the backfield as he displayed a great first step and the acceleration to quickly close on a quarterback or running back. Combining that explosiveness with the power to drive a blocker back as well as solid use of hands, Williams consistently won his battles against opposing offensive linemen.

The only blemish on Williams this week, which also came back to bite him once for a penalty in the game, is that he has a tendency to go offsides because he regularly tries to jump the snap (h/t John Owning of Draft Breakdown for pointing this out). Nonetheless, Williams validated his skill set this week after a highly productive collegiate career. He has solidified himself as a potential third- or fourth-round draft pick
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Re: Xavier at the Shrine Bowl

Its awesome to see him really flourish during this process. Its starting to look like he has a legit shot at being drafted. After keeping an eye on him during the Iowa game (a barometer for a lot of scouts) I thought he would go free agent route and fizzle out... He was obviously a dominant player for the Panthers, I just didn't see him going on and producing at the next level.

This is awesome for him, and the University. I wonder how much better his skill set has gotten with the addition of Coach Paup? This could be huge for recruiting.
    Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

Re: Xavier at the Shrine Bowl

Good news for Xavier's prospects

3-4 defense making a comeback

Comment

Working...
      X