WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New UNI QB coach announced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New UNI QB coach announced?

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
    My take...part of the way you can compensate people...especially when salary $ are limited...is by titling them in a way that builds their resume for the future.
    Yes. Exactly.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
      Much like Basketball I could care less what type of offense defense we play or how fast or slow. What I care about is matching the system to the talent and winning.

If a fast paced no huddle offense is it then great! Does seem like with our facilities and history we could attract the talent needed to make it work.
      I asked Jeremiah Davis if he was able to see the no huddle in action and he said they didn't do much full speed, but that the no huddle seemed to suit the personnel.

Comment

There are three new coaches: offensive coordinator Joe Davis, who has installed a whole new offense and has sole possession of the keys to that unit this year with Bill Salmon now associate head coach
        CEDAR FALLS – Monday marked one week into spring practice, and the Northern Iowa football team still is in ‘chaos” …
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

“What I like on offense is we’ve got Joe Davis, Ben Markema, and Jason Ray, and then on top of that we’ve got a new offense, so Bill Salmon and Rick Nelson, they’re all tied. And when you’re going something new and different, everybody’s got to be on the same page, everybody’s learning something every day. And you take that to the field,” Farley said.

That's what I love about Farley, even when I have no idea what he's trying to say, he says it in a way that gets me fired up.
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
            “What I like on offense is we’ve got Joe Davis, Ben Markema, and Jason Ray, and then on top of that we’ve got a new offense, so Bill Salmon and Rick Nelson, they’re all tied. And when you’re going something new and different, everybody’s got to be on the same page, everybody’s learning something every day. And you take that to the field,” Farley said.

That's what I love about Farley, even when I have no idea what he's trying to say, he says it in a way that gets me fired up.
            I'm glad that deciphering that statement is not the concussion test. No one would ever play.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

Lol. I chuckled a bit. So true.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

[QUOTE=GonzoCat;415927]“What I like on offense is we’ve got Joe Davis, Ben Markema, and Jason Ray, and then on top of that we’ve got a new offense, so Bill Salmon and Rick Nelson, they’re all tied. And when you’re going something new and different, everybody’s got to be on the same page, everybody’s learning something every day. And you take that to the field,” Farley said.
                QUOTE]

Translation: The offense is not going to lag behind the defense this year, AND we are going to be freaking awesome.
                Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

Even now, I still cant fathom the reality of how bad our offense was last year with all of the talent that we had. Makes me sick.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                    Even now, I still cant fathom the reality of how bad our offense was last year with all of the talent that we had. Makes me sick.
                    Oh, I can.

Thankfully, he's Missouri State's problem now.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      Oh, I can.

Thankfully, he's Missouri State's problem now.
                      I don't think this statement is accurate. I think the problem was addressed internally and I commend our head coach for that. There was a lot of talk about this issue on the board the last few years and I don't see enough praise for someone, presumably coach Farley, making it happen.
                      Illinois State Fan at a St. Louis White Castle 3:45AM Saturday March 6th:

"White Castle?" "more like Black Castle..."

You stay classy Redbirds.

Comment

I think the moves all around were for the best. I don't think Mario by any means is a bad coach, but is someone who I could see being difficult to play for with his personality, and the move was probably easier now that his son graduated from high school. I think that the moves will bring some fresh air into the program while still maintaining some stability. Coach Nelson and Salmon are true UNI guys that want to the see the best for the program and university. You see both doing things to support the Panthers in many ways, I saw coach Salmon in St. Louis and greeted every person in Panther gear with a smile and a hello. Coach Nelson is the same type of man. Both may have a different role (Salmon's a bigger change) but I have no doubt that both will coach and work just as hard as before.

And yes I have complained some about play calling in the past, not nearly as much as others but some, but at the end of the day I think that this was a way to keep a true Panther on the coaching staff while also making a change.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                          I think the moves all around were for the best. I don't think Mario by any means is a bad coach, but is someone who I could see being difficult to play for with his personality, and the move was probably easier now that his son graduated from high school. I think that the moves will bring some fresh air into the program while still maintaining some stability. Coach Nelson and Salmon are true UNI guys that want to the see the best for the program and university. You see both doing things to support the Panthers in many ways, I saw coach Salmon in St. Louis and greeted every person in Panther gear with a smile and a hello. Coach Nelson is the same type of man. Both may have a different role (Salmon's a bigger change) but I have no doubt that both will coach and work just as hard as before.

And yes I have complained some about play calling in the past, not nearly as much as others but some, but at the end of the day I think that this was a way to keep a true Panther on the coaching staff while also making a change.
                          Very well said. I loved seeing Salmon in St. Louis. And he even created a Twitter account while he was there!

Comment

Well stated, but I don't see being a "true Panther" as being very relevant. As a fan, I want the best coaches we can possibly find given the available resources. I don't care if they went to UNI or Timbuktu State. I've seen some members of other fanbases make stupid statements like that in the past ("hire Mike Singletary, he'll make them hit hard" etc.). Really??? You didn't say that, so not trying to equate your post with the idiot fan argument. Just saying the school should hire the best people available. And, bringing in outsiders never hurts any organization. I'm sure that was part of Farley's thinking when he hired the new OC.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                              Well stated, but I don't see being a "true Panther" as being very relevant. As a fan, I want the best coaches we can possibly find given the available resources. I don't care if they went to UNI or Timbuktu State. I've seen some members of other fanbases make stupid statements like that in the past ("hire Mike Singletary, he'll make them hit hard" etc.). Really??? You didn't say that, so not trying to equate your post with the idiot fan argument. Just saying the school should hire the best people available. And, bringing in outsiders never hurts any organization. I'm sure that was part of Farley's thinking when he hired the new OC.
                              Here is why it is relevant, all successful football programs whether it be college or high school and any division have stability. Not only with the head coach but with assistants. You see it all of the time, teams that are in the playoffs have a majority of the staff every year for a long time. I'll give you a high school example: Clear Lake who has been one of the best H.S. programs in the state just had their head coach resign after 27 years. But the more impressive stat is that they haven't had to hire an assistant coach in 11 years. Stability breeds success and that is why Salmon and Nelson are good for the program.

That being said at the college level new ideas being brought in is never a bad thing and I really hope we have the best mix next year.

Comment

Here is why it is relevant, all successful football programs whether it be college or high school and any division have stability. Not only with the head coach but with assistants. You see it all of the time, teams that are in the playoffs have a majority of the staff every year for a long time. I'll give you a high school example: Clear Lake who has been one of the best H.S. programs in the state just had their head coach resign after 27 years. But the more impressive stat is that they haven't had to hire an assistant coach in 11 years. Stability breeds success and that is why Salmon and Nelson are good for the program.

That being said at the college level new ideas being brought in is never a bad thing and I really hope we have the best mix next year.
                                Agreed on stability. I just don't care where they came from as long as they're good and can recruit. Just because they played here doesn't mean they're worth anything as a coach. You didn't directly say that, so not trying to directly argue with you.

Also, I don't have a problem with bringing in some ladder climber types. One, that's how the world works. More importantly, in order to climb, the coach's position players need to have standout success, which in theory leads to more wins. If UNI had an assistant good enough to become a HC, or make the jump to a BCS school, then it's a win-win. The only problem is you need to backfill them with people equally as talented, or close.

Comment

Working...
                                X