WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alumni Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alumni Association

Quick question for Panther Nation... Are you a member of the Alumni Association?

I am co-chairing a membership effort within the Alumni Association Board of Directors with the ultimate goal of 25% participation by our alumni within 10 years. We currently sit somewhere around 7%. That's 7,000 people out of 100,000+ living alums. Iowa and Iowa State have roughly 20% participation by their alums.

If you are a member already, thank you, be sure to renew when the time comes. If not, please consider joining. Base memberships start at $35.

You can join here:

Thanks for your support!
    Justin Bierman

GO PANTHERS!
    Last edited by Bier Guy '99; 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM.

Re: Alumni Association

Originally posted by Bier Guy '99 View Post
    Quick question for Panther Nation... Are you a member of the Alumni Association?

I am co-chairing a membership effort within the Alumni Association Board of Directors with the ultimate goal of 25% participation by our alumni within 10 years. We currently sit somewhere around 7%. That's 7,000 people out of 100,000+ living alums. Iowa and Iowa State have roughly 20% participation by their alums.

If you are a member already, thank you, be sure to renew when the time comes. If not, please consider joining. Base memberships start at $35.

You can join here:

Thanks for your support!
    Justin Bierman

GO PANTHERS!
    Thanks Justin! It starts with a goal and a lot of time that important step is missed. Cool thing that you are doing!

Alumni Association is great. I've enjoyed meeting people and having events with people up in our Twin Cities' branch.

Comment

My fiance just got her one year membership for graduating, and fully plans on keeping it after that is up. There are some amazing benefits with it also. I will be joining after I graduate as well

Comment

Lifetime member since 92 -its a deal, and they will pay over five years.

Comment

Could you please explain the potential benefits of joining the AA? I'm not one for sending in personal accomplishments to see them printed in the back of the magazine or anything of that sort, but are there some black and white advantages I am missing out on? Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by pantherwatcher View Post
            Could you please explain the potential benefits of joining the AA? I'm not one for sending in personal accomplishments to see them printed in the back of the magazine or anything of that sort, but are there some black and white advantages I am missing out on? Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?
            Apparently there are some tangible benefits:

I'd be tempted to shell out for the lifetime membership if it meant that they wouldn't call all the time asking me to join.
            UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

I love that there is no shortage of complaining on here about UNI not ponying up to get the best coaches, best resources, etc yet at the same time people call into question the validity of something like the Alumni Association and complain about being asked for money.

Look people, this is a University that NEEDS MONEY... BADLY. Its never going to change and in fact will only get worse.

To not be able to afford to give is ok and understandable but to b!tch about the fact that they have the audacity to ask us for money is frankly, ignorant.

Could the university and the alumni association go about it in a different way? Perhaps. In fact, one suggestion I would make to the AA is to go after us with more of an emotional appeal. To answer the question of the "black and white benefits"... well, there are some of course, but they pale in comparison to what your donation can do for the school. Its completely the wrong mentality to take when basing whether or not to give, IMO.

This school needs its alumni to support it more and, for those of us who feel a connection to this University enough to post on this board, we shouldn't be dismissing the validity of donating regardless of "benefits".

UNI is a great school for most people and I for one donate because I want my University to remain a top-notch institution for the right type of student. Maybe that will be my kid some day. Who knows?

But, regardless, I dont make my decision based on the amount of discounts I can get from the bookstore. It doesnt work that way. Again, maybe this speaks more to the AA and how they promte themselves b/c, while I think some of the "black and white" benefits are cool, I'm guessing most of us utilize less than 5% of them. So really, their strategy should be more about pulling at my heart strings than worrying about what I'm getting back just for donating.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherwatcher View Post
                Also, does this put me on another list of people to call for the undergraduates who beg for money on the phone?
                I confirmed with the office staff, that no, you do not get added to any additional call lists. If you are getting calls, it is because the university knows where you are. Also, UNIAA does not cold call as a part of it's membership recruiting. The calls you are likely getting are for the Dean's Fund and General Fund efforts. These are run by University Advancement (aka UNI Foundation).

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                  I'd be tempted to shell out for the lifetime membership if it meant that they wouldn't call all the time asking me to join.
                  Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You might get one less call per year, that being the AA. The general fund, your department, etc. are all still going to call, if they can find you.

If you really enjoy receiving credit card offers, this is one more list to be on... You would think they would get the hint after 16 years that I am not likely to signup.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
                    I love that there is no shortage of complaining on here about UNI not ponying up to get the best coaches, best resources, etc yet at the same time people call into question the validity of something like the Alumni Association and complain about being asked for money.

Look people, this is a University that NEEDS MONEY... BADLY. Its never going to change and in fact will only get worse.

To not be able to afford to give is ok and understandable but to b!tch about the fact that they have the audacity to ask us for money is frankly, ignorant.

Could the university and the alumni association go about it in a different way? Perhaps. In fact, one suggestion I would make to the AA is to go after us with more of an emotional appeal. To answer the question of the "black and white benefits"... well, there are some of course, but they pale in comparison to what your donation can do for the school. Its completely the wrong mentality to take when basing whether or not to give, IMO.

This school needs its alumni to support it more and, for those of us who feel a connection to this University enough to post on this board, we shouldn't be dismissing the validity of donating regardless of "benefits".

UNI is a great school for most people and I for one donate because I want my University to remain a top-notch institution for the right type of student. Maybe that will be my kid some day. Who knows?

But, regardless, I dont make my decision based on the amount of discounts I can get from the bookstore. It doesnt work that way. Again, maybe this speaks more to the AA and how they promte themselves b/c, while I think some of the "black and white" benefits are cool, I'm guessing most of us utilize less than 5% of them. So really, their strategy should be more about pulling at my heart strings than worrying about what I'm getting back just for donating.

Maybe I'm wrong.
                    So it is "ignorant" to feel that the university should reduce the unsolicited begging calls that they pay minimum wage students to make at all hours of the evening? I'm sorry, but I don't want "little Lisa" calling me at 9:00 on a Thursday night to beg for cash, let me emphasize the "beg" part, while I am finally getting unwound after a full day of work. You want to talk about ignorant? How about when "Iowa's Best Muscle" opened up and their were students in the marketing department calling for DONATIONS for a private business. Was I "ignorant" to hang the phone up on them for soliciting MY hardearned dollar to GIVE to a "for profit" business? PUHLEASE. Honestly, there were students calling for DONATIONS for a for-profit business; where do I sign up for students who are working for nothing to make calls seeking donations for me to build a new house?

It is fine if YOU want to give whatever it is you give to UNI, but I am going to take a little more convincing before opening the purse strings.

Comment

I belong. The best benefit is I get to sell ice cream at the Des Moines Arts Festival every year to raise scholarship money.

A couple years ago I got an insurance offer for UNI AA members with Liberty Mutual. For some reason I went ahead and called on it, I normally throw those things in the trash without opening. Saved me about $300 on my homeowners insurance and about $100 on my car.

Most of the other benefits are the same discount coupons you get with the PSC membership. I have a couple dozen or so unused at the end of every year. They're not of much use to people living outside the CV. I don't think you can use the half price ticket ones with phone orders.

I agree with whoever said you don't join these things for the benefits.
                      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Lifetime member!

Comment

Thanks to everyone here who is a member. You really do make a difference in the programming and services the association can provide for the alumni and for the university.

If you ever have a question, idea or would like to volunteer for an event, please feel free to PM me.

Comment

I enjoy the Jiffy Lube discounts.
                            The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

also a lifetime member

Comment

Working...
                              X