WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TixCity - New Official Secondary Ticket Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TixCity - New Official Secondary Ticket Market

http://unipanthers.com/news/2016/11/...h-tixcity.aspx

Cedar Falls, Iowa – The University of Northern Iowa today announced that Edison, New Jersey-based TixCity has been named the official secondary ticket partner of UNI Athletics. The multi-year partnership continues through the 2018-2019 academic year.

As part of the relationship, the UNI Fan Exchange powered by TixCity will be created and launched in during UNI's 2016-17 men's and women's basketball seasons. The UNI Fan Exchange will provide fans of Northern Iowa with an exclusive and safe marketplace to buy and sell tickets to home football and basketball games.

"We are very excited about our partnership with TixCity, an unquestionable leader in the secondary ticket marketplace," said UNI Director of Athletics David Harris. "This partnership will not only provide an excellent service to our loyal fans, it will also generate revenue for our department. We look forward to launching the UNI Fan Exchange powered by TixCity this season."

"We are thrilled to be announcing our new partnership with Northern Iowa," said TixCity Founder and CEO, Lon Belvin. "We are pleased to be part of the tradition that UNI athletics has built and the passion that the program generates. The UNI Fan Exchange powered by TixCity will provide Panthers fans with the comfort and security of knowing they have an exclusive marketplace where they can buy and sell their tickets. We've invested into making this exciting new ticket platform fan-friendly, particularly for mobile use. Importantly, a portion of revenue from the exchange will directly benefit UNI athletics. We look forward to serving Panthers fans for many years to come."

Learfield's Panther Sports Properties, the university's athletics multimedia rightsholder, worked with sports marketing firm, Deep Alliance, to secure the partnership with TixCity. Panther Sports Properties will manage all aspects of the partnership.

Re: TixCity - New Official Secondary Ticket Market

Weird. #10

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
      Weird. #10
      it has become a trend recently sports teams/leagues or other entertainment operations forming partnerships with secondary ticket marketers.

Makes sense, I guess. (at least for places where there is a demand for tickets)
      people are always going to resell tickets. If the school partners up with a resale agent, I'm assuming they get a small percentage of the resale value, and the resale agent gets a bit of marketing.

Comment

I like the idea in theory for UNI. They get additional revenue.

However, as someone who has tried to be a promoter of getting more fans to get to UNI basketball games, there isn't much secondary market. I haven't heard of fraudulent tickets being an issue. There isn't such a demand that tickets run out...maybe in certain sections, but not completely out. A secondary market also usually occurs when people can make a profit from selling their tickets!

That doesn't work at UNI currently because there is no season ticket discount! In fact, this year it would have been just as cheap to buy a chairback individual ticket to every UNI basketball game through the ticket office, rather than get a season ticket. That's a problem that limits any type of secondary market. Especially when they are asking for fans to pay $100-250/seat in donations.

I think I'd rather see UNI first try to build a secondary market by not undercutting the donor seats (giving them a value...or perceived value beyond altruism...if they are concerned with building a secondary market, b/c what secondary market that exists is minuscule currently). They've done a better job of selling tickets in the unused student sections and I think that has really helped. Winning and keeping prices affordable is the key issue to building demand. If UNI gets to a point that a secondary market exists, then that's fantastic b/c we've come a long way at that point and are an even more successful program!

A secondary market is just not there! Heck, I try to just recoup my money invested in tickets for UNI basketball each year, promoting it on an engaged site for Panther fans...and most years I don't recoup my investment! But that's ok by me...my goal is to help fans get to more games more affordably, not make a profit. Usually most secondary markets are profit driven.
        Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 11-15-2016, 05:12 AM.
        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

PTTB put things more eloquently than I had time for when I posted "weird". I echo all of these thoughts.

I'll add one more thing - partnering with anyone other than StubHub is pointless. Yes, I realize they likely charge more; however, they also capture 50% of the secondary market. And, if there is any sort of demand for UNI tickets on the secondary market, it already resides there. So why not let them help promote it?

Example - I have supported the local pro soccer team up here in Minneapolis for years. And given that there are 15-20 home games a year, I often miss a quarter to a third of the games. Like PTTB, I'm not in it for the money and don't look at it that way; however, when I can't give them away, at times have tried to recoup even a fraction of what I paid with minimal success. Last year they partnered with StubHub and its been quite beneficial. I've now literally always been able to sell an extra ticket the past two seasons (even if I'm only making 50% of what I paid).

StubHub has reach. No one has ever heard of TixCity.

This will go nowhere.
          Last edited by UNI MadCat; 11-15-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Guessing, but I could see a situation where Stubhub wants revenue gaurantees, or something similar, given their commanding position in the market. TixCity may be more flexible, since they could be trying to establish a name for themselves. The greater flexibility on T's & C's may have made more sense to UNI.

Comment

I thought the same thing you wrote PTTB when I first heard this. Outside of a once in a lifetime game against UNC or games against WSU there is no secondary market at UNI. I really wish it was a problem we had.

With the success MBB has had recently you think we would have better attendance. I would kill to have a UNC/WSU type atmosphere for even 1/4 of the season. I honestly feel bad for the players some games. I am surprised to hear that single game tickets are more cost effective than season tickets.

Comment

Maybe they are hoping some of the corporate season ticket seats that sit empty most games will get sold.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                  Maybe they are hoping some of the corporate season ticket seats that sit empty most games will get sold.
                  This seems like the most likely target. Send something with season tickets, or purchased tickets, etc... and hope that corporate places decide to resell tickets rather than eat them. Allow people to sit closer to midcourt than the bleachers on either end. If we could get that set up going then we get keep bleacher seats lower as well to entice people to those.

Comment

PTTB is probably correct. There is a more fundamental need to build up the primary market.

However, maybe the new partnership will do more to dial up promotion and create a perception of the need for a secondary market, perhaps dialing up interest in the primary market.

Comment

Or, for the 10-15 businesses this pertains to, you could personally inform them that they can let the ticket office know they won't be using their tickets for certain games and then reprinting the tickets for resale? Instead of bringing in a secondary market company.
                      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                      X