WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panthers beat Iowa again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panthers beat Iowa again

The Panthers just beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 8-3 in Cedar Rapids in front of 2100 fans. Nice crowd. They lead the 3 game series 2-0 and play next Wednesday night in Waterloo. Let's go for the sweep!

Originally posted by PurpleCatFan
    The Panthers just beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 8-3 in Cedar Rapids in front of 2100 fans. Nice crowd. They lead the 3 game series 2-0 and play next Wednesday night in Waterloo. Let's go for the sweep!
    Was renowned Panther fan Mayor Jon Crews in attendance?

Comment

jonny_rogers, i have a couple of comments

UNI just beat your team again in baseball and last year we beat you guys in basketball and volleyball. it has been a while since UNI has lost to Iowa in anything. just something to think about.

Comment

here comes a lengthy wrestling discussion...

Comment

Far be it from me to stick up for Jonny, but I'm pretty sure UNI lost to Iowa in wrestling and womens bb fairly recently.

I don't think it is reasonable to try to make a case that UNI has a superior athletic program to Iowa. Considering Iowa has 10X the budget for athletics UNI does it is remarkable that UNI beats Iowa at anything, which they do on a regular basis, and I think as UNI fans we should be pretty happy that the program is generally competitive with Iowa.

Iowa State is another matter, I think UNI has a better overall program than ISU and we just need to win the football game this fall to prove it.

But then I'm a UNI and Iowa fan, so maybe I'm not objective. I know some people on here don't like UNI fans to be Iowa fans also, but I have a degree from both so I at least some right to be a fan of both. FWIW when I went to UNI I barley knew Iowa existed and I never missed a UNI game in any sport.
          Last edited by GonzoCat; 04-22-2004, 01:00 PM.
          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat
            Far be it from me to stick up for Jonny, but I'm pretty sure UNI lost to Iowa in wrestling and womens bb fairly recently.

I don't think it is reasonable to try to make a case that UNI has a superior athletic program to Iowa. Considering Iowa has 10X the budget for athletics UNI does it is remarkable that UNI beats Iowa at anything, which they do on a regular basis, and I think as UNI fans we should be pretty happy that the program is generally competitive with Iowa.

Iowa State is another matter, I think UNI has a better overall program than ISU and we just need to win the football game this fall to prove it.

But then I'm a UNI and Iowa fan, so maybe I'm not objective. I know some people on here don't like UNI fans to be Iowa fans also, but I have a degree from both so I at least some right to be a fan of both. FWIW when I went to UNI I barley knew Iowa existed and I never missed a UNI game in any sport.
            So why is it not ok to compare UNI and Iowa when UNI beat Iowa in a "major" sport like men's BB and UNI has done it several times in recent years?

However it is ok to say UNI is better than ISU, but yet UNI didn't beat ISU in either BB or football last year. In fact from what I remember 98 was the last time UNI beat ISU in men's BB.

In head to head competition taking into account all sports men/women ISU lost to Iowa only in Football. I haven't found loses to UNI in any sport yet, but it's been tougher to put them all together.

Comment

UNI will beat ISU in football this Fall. In fact, it may not be a close game
              http://www.uni.edu/unialumni/justfun...s/fightsong.rm

Comment

Originally posted by Pantherpower
                UNI will beat ISU in football this Fall. In fact, it may not be a close game
                I think it's a tough call at this point. We do know that UNI will have a very good football team. ISU is a complete unknown.

I'll save my prediction for the this fall. I need to hear more about the juco and true freshmen that will be at ISU in a few months.

I was at ISU's spring scrimmage during Viesha. I have to say this team is hard to read and even more so since there are juco's and true freshmen that will play this fall. It is a young team. They make a lot of mistakes.

I think UNI could have beat ISU last year if the game had been at the end of the season. This year I think UNI is better off to play ISU early on.

Comment

Originally posted by AmesPanther
                  So why is it not ok to compare UNI and Iowa when UNI beat Iowa in a "major" sport like men's BB and UNI has done it several times in recent years?

However it is ok to say UNI is better than ISU, but yet UNI didn't beat ISU in either BB or football last year. In fact from what I remember 98 was the last time UNI beat ISU in men's BB.

In head to head competition taking into account all sports men/women ISU lost to Iowa only in Football. I haven't found loses to UNI in any sport yet, but it's been tougher to put them all together.
                  Ames I think we've been down this road before. You think head to head competition is the best measure whereas I think overall record is, especially when dealing with in-state rivalries. I think ISU was lucky to play UNI in Ames for both fb and bb this year and had either game been in CF UNI would have won. Of course the fb game will always be in Ames, so UNI is going to have to be that much better to ever win it. If you're searching for ISU losses to UNI this year try volleyball or wrestling, which UNI won a dual on a neutral mat.

You're obviously a UNI and ISU fan and I'm a UNI and Iowa fan, so our best bet to get along is to focus on the UNI part of the equation.
                  GO PANTHERS!

Comment

why can't you guys JUST be panther fans!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat
                      You're obviously a UNI and ISU fan and I'm a UNI and Iowa fan, so our best bet to get along is to focus on the UNI part of the equation.
                      Very true and I agree. So I'll just veer off track for one more paragraph or 2.

They don't give out any kind of championship based on records; it's won head to head. In men's BB ISU won the whole thing fair and square. They beat everyone in state. In accounting for all sports ISU still had the best record head to head. Different conferences and playing different teams makes things really hard to compare I just wanted to check why you would think UNI isn't to be compared with Iowa, but it can be with ISU.

I actually wouldn't argue UNI vs ISU, but I also can't handle hearing that UNI isn't as good as a school it can and has beat, but is as good or better than a school it has lost on a regular basis to.

I'm done. Back to being just UNI fans now.

Comment

that a kid .

remember www.panthernation.com

Comment

from #1pantherfan:
                          why can't you guys JUST be panther fans!

No sh*t.

Cap’n Cat

Oh, piss on it……………

Comment

Working...
                          X