WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Contract for Coach Jake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
    So, when the state publishes a coaches salary, that statement from the state is NOT solely from the state funds that are contributed? If not, then why are they required to publish what the state is paying that employee, if it is largely from private donations?

Wow. Are you really this clueless?

No wonder you are outraged. You have no idea how any of this works.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Re: New Contract for Coach Jake

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
      Wow. Are you really this clueless?

No wonder you are outraged. You have no idea how any of this works.
      So, the state is required to publish how much money in private donations that a coach receives through the AD department?

Comment

• Ban thinks UNI is dipping into the geology department fund to pay Coach Jake, LOL.
        UNI FIGHT

Comment

• Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
          So, the state is required to publish how much money in private donations that a coach receives through the AD department?

Yes.

UNI FIGHT

Comment

Last I knew 100% of Jake's salary was coming from private sources. I don't believe there is a single department dime going to pay him and the vast majority of Farley's salary is taken care of in the same way.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
              Yes.

Well, then that's news to me, as I assumed that when the state publishes salaries of their state employees that that was money given out by the state itself, through the AD department.

And, yes, I do understand that athletic funds come from the athletics department only and not geology.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                Last I knew 100% of Jake's salary was coming from private sources. I don't believe there is a single department dime going to pay him and the vast majority of Farley's salary is taken care of in the same way.
                I can't believe there are still people out there that don't know this. It has been widely published - especially when it happened in 2010 - that Dannen RAISED FUNDS to give him that extended contract back then.

More of the same still happening.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                  I can't believe there are still people out there that don't know this. It has been widely published - especially when it happened in 2010 - that Dannen RAISED FUNDS to give him that extended contract back then.

More of the same still happening.
                  I sure as heck didn't. I am a little bit suspicious about it though, as it would seem strange that the state would have to publish by law what a coach makes when his/her salary is coming, in large part, from private donations. it would seem to me that they would have no legal responsibility to publish such numbers then, if it isn't being payed by taxpayers, but, I'm probably wrong.

Now I have something to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by ban basketball View Post
                    Are students coming to universities to watch their respective sports teams or to be educated? So, is it sports or academics/degrees that bring them in? I think we all know the answer to that.
                    This is what is called a straw man argument. That has very little bearing on the argument that professors should make more money than Jake.

Comment

Really? So, if we replaced Jacobson, UNI would cease to exist? If the professors all walked off the job and there was no one to teach classes, would we exist?
                      Yes, the professors as a group are more irreplaceable than Jake.

An individual professor, no.

To look at it another way, lets compare the custodial staff at UNI to President Bill Ruud. If Bill Ruud left tomorrow, and a janitor left tomorrow, Bill Ruud's departure would cause a much bigger impact. If ALL the janitors left tomorrow then we would have a big problem on our hands.....probably bigger than replacing a President. As a group, yes the janitors are very important at UNI. That doesn't mean we should pay them as much as President Ruud.

I have to think you're trolling us at this point, or you're just refusing to admit you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                        that is terrible! I don't know how anyone could scrape by on a measly $600k net annual income in the Cedar Valley.
                        you missed the point entirely
                        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

I sure as heck didn't. I am a little bit suspicious about it though, as it would seem strange that the state would have to publish by law what a coach makes when his/her salary is coming, in large part, from private donations. it would seem to me that they would have no legal responsibility to publish such numbers then, if it isn't being payed by taxpayers, but, I'm probably wrong.

Now I have something to look into.
                          State schools have to publish all of their employees salaries because of open records laws, regardless of where the funding for their salaries comes from. Hence why schools like Iowa and ISU have to publish their coaches salaries even though their athletic departments receive most of their funding through the absurd amounts of TV money that they receive and ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                            When we beat Kansas, Dannen was able to raise the funds to give Jake like a $6 million contract in a manner of days. I'd say it had an impact.
                            It had an impact on Jake's pay. What was the benefit to UNI as a whole?
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                              It had an impact on Jake's pay. What was the benefit to UNI as a whole?
                              He stayed at UNI. The people involved thought it was important to do and to keep Jake at UNI, therefore it was done. Wether you think it was a good investment on their part, is an opinion. The investors into Jake's salary apparently thought it was a good and necessary investment on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                that is terrible! I don't know how anyone could scrape by on a measly $600k net annual income in the Cedar Valley.
                                Don't worry, at $1 million in pay he will only pay about 35% to "uncle sam" including the maximum FICA tax. People always throw around the 40% figure because math is hard and they hear it thrown around on talk radio. That's because the maximum marginal tax rate is 39.6% and as your income approaches infinity you approach that as an effective rate. If you only make a measly $1 million you have to take into account that the first half mill or so is taxed at lower rates (28% overall on the first $464,850 to be exact).

This is assuming Jake doesn't have a good accountant and only takes personal exemptions, minimal itemized deductions and minimal advantage of tax deferred retirement accounts (I used $50K total deductions for such things). My guess is he has a good accountant and lowers his effective rate further.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X